Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ScummVM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default ScummVM

Wow, can't believe I never heard about this utility till recently. I can finally play my old Lucasart classics with no sound or video issues, and zero crashes. Full Throttle CD doesn't run so well though "never crashes anyways", but The Dig and every other Lucasart game I have runs better than ever!

http://www.scummvm.org/

What a godsend. Now only if someone made an interface like this for Sierra games..um..do they?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah it's great and the best thing is that there is a dreamcast port, i love playing those adventures on my dc

i don't think they'll include sierra games in the near future, they have included Adventure Soft (Simon the Sorcerer 1&2) and Revolution (Beneath a Steel Sky, Broken Sword 1+2) already and i hope they'll be doin Westwood (Legenf of Kyrandia 1-3) before the do Sierra
    -Jan

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Default Re: ScummVM

Agreed... ScummVM is truly amazing. I really look forward to what they do after all the LucasArts games are fully functional. I'm hoping they turn to the newer ones like Grim Fandango and Escape From Monkey Island

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd
    What a godsend. Now only if someone made an interface like this for Sierra games..um..do they?
    There are similar projects for the Sierra games, but unfortunately, they're not nearly as functional or mature as ScummVM, and sadly, they don't seem to receive as much development support. There are two distinct types of Sierra games, those using the AGI engine, and those using the SCI engine... AGI games include the very early Sierra games like Space Quest 1 & 2, Kings Quest 1, 2, and 3, and others.... SCI was used for the later games like Space Quest 3 and 4, Quest for Glory, and so on.

For AGI games, you can use Sarien. It actually works fairly well, but it took me quite a while to figure out how to use it.

SCI is a little more complicated... FreeSCI is capable of running the earlier SCI games, but the newer VGA games like Space Quest 4 and anything else that abandons the typing interface is beyond it.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use Sarien for Police Quest. It was easy to set up (On OS X at least. Just double-click the file.) and works great. Makes it look like a CGI version (Even if you originally had a Mac version or EGA version.) but works great.

I think it's great all the old games are still getting attention.

With DOOM Legacy, I can play all my DOOM games on a modern OS X (And not in Classic) with great improvements.

With Zoom I can play Zork, Hitch Hiker's Guide, etc..

It's great. Can't forget the old classics simply because your computer's OS can't run them anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Just a quick note, the ScummVM engine has been ported to several platforms other than the PC and Mac, including Palm OS and the GP32 as well as others. Great for Sierra gaming on the go!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find that dosbox works just as well for Sierra games as ScummVM for Lucasarts. Check it out,http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1 I love the interface, try it to see what I mean.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InfernalCheese
    I find that dosbox works just as well for Sierra games as ScummVM for Lucasarts. Check it out,http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1 I love the interface, try it to see what I mean.
    Yeah, I should give DOSbox a better chance I guess. All I did was mount the drive and then it started talking about too much stuff so I quit it, plus I got an error, and anytime I get an error with a program the first time I usually don't bother using it, cause it usually only gets worse. Especially if it happens as soon as I run the program the first time.

Thing I love about ScummVM is the ease of use and stability. Click, click, run =

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by InfernalCheese
    I find that dosbox works just as well for Sierra games as ScummVM for Lucasarts.
    Yeah, but it seems so much more efficient to actually port the entire game engine rather than emulating a whole operating system just to run it.

Plus, my ghetto 400MHz system doesn't do too well with dosbox (great program though).

--Zero

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How well does ScummVM work on the Dreamcast? I've heard a lot of great things about some of the games designed with ScummVM (most notably Sam and Max, Day of the Tentacle, and the Monkey Island series) and I'd really love to try them out.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

It works pretty well actually... I played all the way through the first two Monkey Island games using the Dreamcast version. The only problem is that some games aren't supported by the DC version (Notably Full Throttle (I tried it, but there were major sound problems, and it crashes early in the game, ironically, right after Ben crashes his bike) and Simon the Sorceror... although Simon might have been added since I tried it). Oh, and you can't use MP3 compressed sound files with the Dreamcast version.

It does, however, allow you to save to a VMU.. and it supports the mouse and keyboard if you have them (which I highly recommend).

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

as Ze_ro said, it's pretty good

Simon the Sorcerer 1&2 should work with the latest release, what doesn't work is Sam & Max

but you can play through Indiana Jones 3&4, DOTT, Monkey Island 1&2 and several others without problems (incl. Beneath a Steel Sky), Indy 3 has a minor glitch (you run through a wall sometimes, happened twice for me)
    -Jan

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SCUMMVM & DOTT and Sam&Max on Mac

You all make ScummVm sound soooo easy! what am i doing wrong!!!
    I jsut purchased Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max for mac. I had no idea that they woudnt just run on my computer. So i downloaded this ScummVm thing, but i have no idea what to do with it! Supposedly i am supose to create a directory with the games datafiles in it?? no clue!
    Please help

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: SCUMMVM & DOTT and Sam&Max on Mac

Quote Originally Posted by pink*buddha
    I jsut purchased Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max for mac. I had no idea that they woudnt just run on my computer. So i downloaded this ScummVm thing, but i have no idea what to do with it! Supposedly i am supose to create a directory with the games datafiles in it?? no clue!
    Did you try reading the documentation, maybe?

I've also been told that Residual, a GRIME interpreter (for Grim Fandango) is fairly advanced, but I haven't tried it myself. (The last time I tried running Grim Fandango, I had to downgrade my soundcard drivers or the voicework would stutter.)

I notice the NES version of Maniac Mansion isn't in the Compatibility list anymore. I wonder why?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Please help

Thanks
    1) Install the Game
    2) Start SCUMMVM
    3) Click on "Add game" and go into the game directory. Then click on "Choose"
    4) The game should be in the games listing. Just double click on it and you're ready to play.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the only thing is, when i install it i have no idea where it goes!?!
    I run on an OSX operationg systmem, but also have OS9. The game opens an install program in OS9 and then when its done it jsut closes
    So i dont have anything to click on in the scummvm 'add game' folder

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    Did you try reading the documentation, maybe?
    It would seem that you should point ScummVM directly to the CD.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the only thing is, when i install it i have no idea where it goes!?!
    I run on an OSX operationg systmem, but also have OS9. The game opens an install program in OS9 and then when its done it jsut closes
    So i dont have anything to click on in the scummvm 'add game' folder
    I don't have the games you are talking about, but I do have Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis for Mac. If those games are like that one, the data files are on the CD, but they are invisible. They are usually named something like xxxxxxx.001. See here for the exact file names for your games:

http://scummvm.sourceforge.net/docum...view=datafiles

You can copy them over to a folder on your hard drive (using Terminal or some other utility). Or you can simply play off the CD. In any case, here's what you do:

1. Launch ScummVM
    2. Click the "Add game..." button
    3. Navigate to wherever the data files are (or insert your CD and select it)
    4. Click "OK"
    5. Select a game from the list (there will be just the one game listed the first time you do this)
    6. Click "Start"

That should do it. If you copy the files to your hard drive, you will probably want to make them visible so you can move them around more easily. You can search on VersionTracker for utilities that will allow you to do this.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

tried that too, it doesnt let me clcik on it, its greyed out, as is the DOTT icon or anything relating to the game
    Argg, i think its just noe going to work, but i dont know why everyone else seems to be able to get it!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my last reply was to the msg before the last, about directly clicking on the cd.
    so now i am going to try searching my computer fot the files monter.sou, tentacle.000 and tentacle.oo1 becuase those are the files it stated on the werbsite link you gave me.
    So i am assuming that once i find them i will put them into a folder together and then click on that foler when i 'add game'

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

here i post again x_x
    I have installed the game like over 10 times, so you'd think i would be abe to find it on my computer somewhere.
    I did a search for the three files listed in my post above, and nothing turnes up!!!
    I think i am about to give up!