Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Bachus joins Infinium Labs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Kevin Bachus joins Infinium Labs

And I was so hoping the Phantom would still be a hoax.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/475/475929p1.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Kevin Bachus joins Infinium Labs

Aaah, good ol' Bachus, pulling a Yokoi and quitting MS after his own "Virtual Boy," the XBox. Except where Yokoi went on to create the WonderSwan, Bachus is going to work on the Phantom...er, I suppose the machine potentially has a bright future, but from what I can tell he's going to be very busy trying to salvage this situation ("Reader Rabbit" is bad press, really, and their website STILL has it showing up in the titles list...sigh :/)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Who? Did he play football in the 70's?

dave

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Aaah, good ol' Bachus, pulling a Yokoi and quitting MS after his own "Virtual Boy," the XBox.
    Well, I sure hope he's careful to avoid any car accidents...

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Anyone else catch, "you won't be able to run a browser on it"?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

That was an interesting interview. I think that he'll help the company with their image and surprise a few people with the finished system, but I still think that the industry isn't ready for something like this.

It'll be looked upon as the X-BAND of gaming machines. A good idea, but ahead of it's time.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Aaah, good ol' Bachus, pulling a Yokoi and quitting MS after his own "Virtual Boy," the XBox.
    Well, I sure hope he's careful to avoid any car accidents...

--Zero

We shall remember...

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd
    Who? Did he play football in the 70's?

dave
    I'm not sure who this is either...
    Egbert, I miss you...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just downloadable games?
    first try the demo and then purchase the full game?

omg....sorry but I don't see any future in this
    it will take bout a half year after release ,then the first full games will be downloadable via PC on ur Phantom without buying them.
    hell,they even cracked the GC and the phantom will be like a dream for hackers

but then again we know nothing about it yet
    let's wait and see

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

N/A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Here's the problem. If you have been around computers for a long time (like I have) then you tend to get things stuck in your head, even if they're not true. I always think that computers should cost "around $1000 dollars". That's just not the case. With that mindset, yeah, the Phantom looks like a good idea. Instead of buying a $1,000 computer, you can just get a $300 gaming machine!

The thing is, that's just not true anymore. My dad just bought a 2.4 ghz Dell for $319 (no tax, free shipping). We threw a better video card in it and some RAM, and he's off and running. When you compare that to the Phantom and buying joysticks and memory cards and whatever other accessories you'll need, and I'm guessing the costs would be comparable.

So, let's think about your possible demographics:

#1 - Gameplayers who own a PC. Ok, why would these people buy a Phantom? If your PC doesn't play games great, for $300+ you can get some pretty good upgrades.

#2 - Gameplayers who own other consoles. Again, these people most likely have PCs. So they can play games on consoles AND on their PC. I would think another $300 to already duplicate what they can do twice over would be a tough sell.

#3 - People who don't have a computer or a gaming console. These people might be tempted to buy it, especially kids begging their parents for one. Then when the parents say, "let's spend the extra $100 and get a computer so you can do homework on it too," there's really no argument against that.

#4 - Hackers. People who want to buy one just to take it apart and hack it. I'm probably wrong here, but I think those people are going to go nuts with that Apex box and keep on with the XBox, at least for the time being.

I can't imagine "being able to rent demos at 2 in the morning" is going to be a huge selling point. What's next, it's going to come with dual screens too?*

(* friendly jab)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Quote Originally Posted by Someone Who Didn't Think, Apparently in a Fanboy Haze
    That's right, despite having about 300 more titles, a year and a half longer lifespan (and running) and millions of units sold to date, the Xbox is a failure just like the Virtual Boy. Don't be such a dumbass.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone Who Didn't Think, Apparently in a Fanboy Haze
    That's right, despite having about 300 more titles, a year and a half longer lifespan (and running) and millions of units sold to date, the Xbox is a failure just like the Virtual Boy. Don't be such a dumbass.
    Ooo. What a scorcher. All I ask before this topic is locked is that someone tell me who this guy is. I *swear* he played football in the past.

dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Seeing as how SNK is developing for the 'box now, I thought this was appropriate:

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

This IS the future of gaming. I was just saying to friends that within 10 years we'll have a gaming console/computer hooked up to our main TV sets and be able to download games to try them out for a few games. If we don't like them, the files explode. If we do, we pay for them. And the company will send you a CD or you can burn your own.

I agree that this is coming out just a LITTLE too early, though. Wait for broadband connections to become more common and more people to be open to the idea.

Good arguments all around.

I just can't help but wonder, though -- they have been working on this thing for HOW LONG now? At least since 2000? And the hardware is STILL not finished yet? x_x
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    Ouch, that stings! It's a bit of a leap of logic, but it needs to be said. XBox is only as much of a success as it is because it's not trying to be as revolutionary as the Virtual Boy (bless Gumpei), has expensive parts, and has a big company willing to blow a good fraction of a billion dollars on it.

So, yeah...whereas Yokoi went off to create a masterful handheld (the WonderSwan would eventually blossom into the WSC, possibly as close to a handheld SNES as we'll ever get), Bachus ditched the company whose product he helped make. I don't pretend that Bachus is supposed to know demographics (though that would help) or have wonderful insights into console design (...), but I am claiming that he helped set the XBox up to fail and left (or was he fired?), leaving others to try and dig the system out of its hole.

Though then there's the story about MS wanting to wait for years to turn a profit on the system. In that case, he's not real good at sticking it out in the trenches, is he?

Whatever the truth really is (and it's probably just that the expertise Bachus brought to the company was no longer needed, though I wonder why not if he claims the XBox 2 is coming out soon), I can say one thing:

It sure says something that a silly and admittedly careless (hey, people don't pay me to post here) comment elicited such a wonderfully scalding (heh) response from yourself. I'm good at sarcasm and snippy commentary, but "dumbass" isn't a part of my vocabulary online.

If I'm a "fanboy" for ridiculing everybody equally, then what are you for getting bent out of shape when I call the XBox a failure?

Nevermind that I want the XBox to succeed in the worst way...anyhow, I'm done. Just think that over, Dr. Ramone :)

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    This IS the future of gaming. I was just saying to friends that within 10 years we'll have a gaming console/computer hooked up to our main TV sets and be able to download games to try them out for a few games. If we don't like them, the files explode. If we do, we pay for them. And the company will send you a CD or you can burn your own.
    This console is definitely before it's time... although most people won't realize that until 10-15 years from now.

I really don't like the idea of not having any physical media though... it may be more convenient to just stream the games into your home, but then what do you do 5 years later when the system becomes obsolete? Or if Infinium goes out of business? Then you're stuck with a machine that will only play whatever games were last loaded on to it.

I guess "casual" gamers won't care... considering all the used games at EB, there must be a ton of people who would probably be happy with this set up, but for us collectors, this whole concept doesn't sit right.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro
    I really don't like the idea of not having any physical media though... it may be more convenient to just stream the games into your home, but then what do you do 5 years later when the system becomes obsolete? Or if Infinium goes out of business? Then you're stuck with a machine that will only play whatever games were last loaded on to it.
    Thats always been one of the reasons I'm against such a machine. Along similiar lines...what would happen if your hard drive gets corrupted. You lose all of your games and then I'm sure you would have to go through hell to prove you bought such games. I don't really care if the method is perfected with this or in the future...I'll stick with physical media, even if I have to go down with it.

I'm not sure how much Bachus is going to help the Phantom, but the Xbox turned out ok when alot of people were skeptical at first. I might be offically worried now.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Yeah, if you read my note ( ) You'd see that I agree with you. The company would send you a CD with a case and manual if you agree to buy the game. Or you could burn your own with the CD burner attached to it.

This would save companies money because they don't need to print or put out as much as stuff, the service would do well, and gamers would be happy cause you get anything you wanted quickly and easily, and cheaper also. It's win-win all around.

Plus the systemn does'nt have to be closed -- you could easily add on to it.

This IS going to be the wave of the future. It's just too early right now and the Phantom is not the system to do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see this concept as EVER being appealing to me. I like to buy my media physically. I don't like downloadable content, whether it be MP3s, MPGs, ROMs or ISOs. I don't typically use ANY downloadable content for any electronic device I have. And I have no plans to start. If that's the wave of the future, I won't be buying in.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

And what's wrong with getting your physical copy -- the EAXCT same thing that you buy in stores now -- in the mail a few days AFTER you buy it? For no extra cost (if the companies are smart)? That way you could start to play it NOW and get your hard backup soon.