Thread: I beat Battletoads!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I beat Battletoads!

Thank you very much. If you have played this game you know how difficult it is. All I got was a cheesy ending about the Dark Queen retreating into space and it was to be continued. All that work for that?

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Farthest I ever got was about halfway up the tower in the final level. Way to go, dude, that game is nigh on f**king impossible!

I remember being way, way, WAY pissed off by the snake-hopping levels, but I did manage to absolutely master the jet-bike cavern.

Why did they never do a real sequel, anyway? That piece-of-crap known as Battletoads and Double Dragon did not count.
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SNES version? If that ... respect! This is one of the hardest games i ever played (except the ones wich become hard by bad controls), ow and i never beat the game

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I never could pass the speeder bikes. I kept using the level skip codes.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I won that one a long while ago, I bet If it tried now I wouldn't do so good at all. When I won I used one of the warps, not the speed bikes one, but the one ON the snake hopping level that skips the rockets. I have beaten all the levels at one time or another, but never in a row. That can definately be one frustrating game though. Good work.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

N/A

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

there's also the Amiga CD32 which boasts improved graphics but the controls are impossible, completely and utterly.
    one time collector of consoles...I've had them all, literally. I'm now selling everything to raise money for Northwest Harvest, a charity that provides food and clothing for families in need in the Northwestern United States.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default a

Holy Crap! You da man!

Now THAT is an accomplishment. Congrats!

With that said, I hate that fucking game!!

Way to difficult...and not fun. I alwyas felt that game was over-hyped to high hell. I just don't understand its popularity...musta been Nintendo Power.

However, the much unkown arcade game is pretty good!

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been going over the hardest games to ever beat on the NES list and I saw battletoads on there. I never played it but the difficulty seemed legendary so I played it all day yesterday. It took like 6 hours to beat. The hardest stage for me was the one where the orb chases you while your on the unicyle. I thought i was going to give up until I found a way to cheat. It is almost impossible for me to keep changing directions without my thumb getting tired. So at every turn I would pause the game right when the tire turned a corner and gave my thumb a rest and then pushed the direction I was going to be going next and unpaused it. I did this for every turn. If your say going the right direction and the next turn is UP pause the game right when the tire goes up and your toad is still holding on the unicycle and is still facing right. Everytime I did this I gained some time on the orb. I think this game was just way to hard to enjoy it. When I was playing the bike stages it felt like I had to do it a million times. It was beginning to not even be fun anymore. I give this game a 6/10. 10 being the highest.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Duncan, I think Battletoads/Double Dragon is an awesome game.......way more manageable in terms of difficulty than the original Battletoads, lots of great beat-em-up action, excellent 2-player game.........

I thought the Battletoads were supposed to be huge.......why did Rare stop at Battletoads/Double Dragon?
    "Everything that you've ever done, are doing now, or will ever do is a complete waste of time unless it directly involves Randy 'Macho Man' Savage." - random Amazon.com review

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jerkov
    I thought the Battletoads were supposed to be huge.......why did Rare stop at Battletoads/Double Dragon?
    I'm glad it's been dropped like the useless lump it was. Hated the games, just too damn hard and not in that 'fun, because I have a chance sense'. I cite as one example, those platforms drawn so that it's hard to tell where the real edge begins. And the snakes! Damn the snakes.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think this game could have been a great game if they changed the difficulty. What good is a power meter if there are so many cheap one hit deaths in the game? One second you will be doing great and then the next second your dead and have to go all the way back to the beginning of the level. ANother thing is what is the deal with jumping on platforms? When I was on the bike stage there is a part where you have jump on little platforms and they look about 7" wide if say your character is only 1" tall and I'd keep falling right through the platforms and die. Thats even after I was dead center in the middle. The control on the game is very suspect. How did this game get voted to the top 50 games for nes? I'm sure someone could have found one more game that was better. I guess I just really knock games down if they don't have great control.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Beating Battletoads is a true accomplishment, one I only managed to do a single time - even then, I had to utilize one warp zone in the snake pit to bypass its harder rooms. It also skips the Fire Zone (on the back of the rocket) and moves right to the Elevator Shaft.

Am I the only person who had a ridiculous amount of trouble with the Aqueduct stage (right before the race)? Those sharks, rucker duckies, and swimming away from gears while avoiding spikes just gave me nightmares.

I think Battletoads is deserving of its placement in the top 50 NES games list. It may be hard as nails, but it was one of the first games where you could count on a totally new experience in almost every level. Not many enemies even repeat themselves in between individual stages. And surfing was always fun.

My Complete Collection - Currently expanding my PS2 collection by buying up every five dollar game I see

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Quote Originally Posted by Needle
    Am I the only person who had a ridiculous amount of trouble with the Aqueduct stage (right before the race)? Those sharks, rucker duckies, and swimming away from gears while avoiding spikes just gave me nightmares.
    No, you are not. F**KING RUBBER DUCKS!!! They've got murder in their eyes! They're bloodthirsty monsters, I tells ya!

Battletoads is probably one of those games that I'll never beat legitimately, right up there with R-Type 2 and Ninja Gaiden 3. I usually fold during or after the surfing stage. The aqueducts are where I draw the line. Game Genie city from there on. Yes, I suck.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

Congrats! That game is too hard for me. I have given up many times during that game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I totally forgot about the aquaduct stage. Yeah that one was pretty difficult to beat. I hate when you'd have to jump down a shaft and if it was your first time playing the part you were going to die because you never knew where the spikes were going to be. The game requires you to memorize way to many levels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Battletoads is part of my weirdest gaming experience ever.

As a kid, I was obsessed with the game. I wanted to beat it so bad. Well, one night I went to bed, and had the strangest and most vivid "dream" wherein I had played through the game (reaching levels that I hadn't done before, but are indeed in the game and laid out that way), and eventually beat it.

Guess who woke up in the nintendo's room with the tv and battletoads running.

I can never claim to have legitimately beat battletoads, since doing it while half conscious really doesn't count.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Back in the day, I didn't have too much trouble beating this game. I don't think I had to play any level more than 5-6 times...and I enjoyed every second of it

Now when I play it, I realze how much of my gaming skill I've lost over the years...

I still can get a long way without much difficulty...but some of those levels are just brutal.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting