Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does north america get the shaft?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why does north america get the shaft?

Why is it japan and the uk get sweet consoles...and we dont....like the panasonic Q gamecube...or the gundam gamecube..or the crystal xbox..or panzer dragoon xbox...or the gundum or gran turismo ps2...or the cool skeleton saturns...WHY DO WE GET SHAFTED???? >.< ok im done...now and i think we should start a petition...so that companies give us kick ass consoles too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Why does north america get the shaft?

Now that you're finished ranting, I'd like you to consider that the GameCube is essentially dead in the UK and Australia (never considered the center of the gaming world), Europe is just starting to overcome the scars of post-WWII bans on violence in entertainment, and that Japanese gamers quite possibly don't get XBox games because their local stores don't carry them (just a suspicion, really).

We really don't have it that bad.

Also...could you give me one example of a "sweet console" found in the UK? When I was there all I saw were two variations on the pack-in-game with an XBox (Indiana Jones being one of them), and let's not even talk about running a PAL game on an NTSC system...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh, I understand now. You're envious of the Master System Girl from Brazil, aren't you? :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EnemyZero
    Why is it japan and the uk get sweet consoles...and we dont....like the panasonic Q gamecube...or the gundam gamecube..or the crystal xbox..or panzer dragoon xbox...or the gundum or gran turismo ps2...or the cool skeleton saturns...WHY DO WE GET SHAFTED???? >.< ok im done...now and i think we should start a petition...so that companies give us kick ass consoles too!
    i really don't want to sound harsh (or do i??) but this is ridiculous, how can you even dare to say the US gets shafted??????????????????

you seem to have NO idea how many games do not make it to europe at all, not to speak of things like special editions (i wonder if european gaming companies even know the word "special edition" or "limited edition")

cool consoles in the uk??? what, the amstrad gx4000 or what?!? in germany it's even worse, we have about 5% less GC releases than the UK just as an example, we have to wait FOREVER to get localized versions and so on and so on, so many things are worse in europe!!

the only things that's better in europe are the various comic games (Spirou, Smurfs and so on) and the Taxi games
    -Jan

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/act...s_6087175.html

Stuff like this is what pisses me off. I would buy one of these if they were released over here.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default a

Sometimes you get shafted, sometimes you're the shaftee.

Seriously, Japan gets everything, Europe and NA get screwed. Brazil gets a lot of shit too...lotsa pirates tho.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: a

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    Seriously, Japan gets everything, Europe and NA get screwed. Brazil gets a lot of shit too...lotsa pirates tho.
    I still don't agree that Japan "gets everything," because, well, quite frankly it doesn't (XBox again). Now about Brazil...name one cool thing released in Brazil that wasn't obsolete by five years.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    Quote Originally Posted by EnemyZero
    i really don't want to sound harsh (or do i??) but this is ridiculous, how can you even dare to say the US gets shafted??????????????????

you seem to have NO idea how many games do not make it to europe at all, not to speak of things like special editions (i wonder if european gaming companies even know the word "special edition" or "limited edition")

cool consoles in the uk??? what, the amstrad gx4000 or what?!? in germany it's even worse, we have about 5% less GC releases than the UK just as an example, we have to wait FOREVER to get localized versions and so on and so on, so many things are worse in europe!!

the only things that's better in europe are the various comic games (Spirou, Smurfs and so on) and the Taxi games
    Ditto. On top of that try living in a country like New Zealand.. we dont heven have a decent nintendo supplier!!!
    Currently Looking For :
    Magical Chase TG16 Manual
    TG16 Order of the Griffon Complete Mint
    TG16 Chew Man Fu Complete Mint
    PAL Dreamcast Samba De Amigo - Box
    Dragon Warrior 2 - Mint Box, Dragon Warrior 1 - 4 Mint Maps, Dragon Quest Guide Books

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just think there are more Japnaese collectors that will go diehard for some LE system than there are in NA (at least per capita). I mean look at how often the Japanese rehash the same thing with new packaging, and put a huge price tag on it?

FYI -- the US doesn't get the total shaft. There's no Zelda special disc here.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok ok i see where your all coming from .... i still think japan gets the best of the world..minus the xbox....but i agree with all of you....i was just throwing a fit of anger because i want a cool gundam special edition gamecube or a panzer dragoon xbox...or one of the new crystal ones coming out ....anywho...time to start my japanese lessons again :P

PS Ed you nailed it on the dot ^_^ ::shakes fist::

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

cool consoles in the uk??? what, the amstrad gx4000 or what?!?
    Well, I think the Commodore 64GS was only released in Europe... I wouldn't mind having one of those babies. I agree with you though... Europe gets completely shafted. I still don't understand why there is such a huge delay before games/movies get released there.

And what's the situation with pre-NES classic games in Japan? I imagine early (or probably ANY) Atari stuff is hard to find there... did they get systems like the Odyssey^2, the Channel F, INTV, ColecoVision, and so on? They obviously got everything post-NES, but before that, it would seem that North America was the place to be.

We may not get the PC-FX, Wonderswan, SuperGrafx, Playdia or GP32, but I'd rather have all the Atari consoles anyways.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

[quote="Ze_ro"]
    And what's the situation with pre-NES classic games in Japan? I imagine early (or probably ANY) Atari stuff is hard to find there... did they get systems like the Odyssey^2, the Channel F, INTV, ColecoVision, and so on? They obviously got everything post-NES, but before that, it would seem that North America was the place to be.
    I've seen a Macross game for the Arcadia 2001 (Japanese model), and the Japanese Intellivision is one hella expensive machine, not sure about the Atari 2800. Besides that...well, the Famicom came out pretty early, so you've got around 6 years from 1977 to 1983 when the VG scene pretty much went mainstream over there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

We also pay less at retail for our systems/games than just about any other country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123
    http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/action/metalgearworkingtitle/news_6087175.html

Stuff like this is what pisses me off. I would buy one of these if they were released over here.
    Just buy one anyways. Isn't it easy to play games from all regions on a GC?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    FYI -- the US doesn't get the total shaft. There's no Zelda special disc here.
    ooh we get one thing....big freaking deal nintendo might just pull a square and call it an "international" edition.

I think the international edition would be alright if it was just as the name implied...a version that is not domestic version(ff7 had extra bosses...so it didn't seem like a big deal). but no square just has to rub it in to gamers. take ffx-2 before the domestic version of that game came out in the states, an international+last mission is announced. how dare square even call it international version when it fact the only place it exists is japan (I don't recall the american version has a Coliseum mode where you can fight tidus and auron, and a freaking kimono dresssphere). At least with kingdom hearts they called it final mix so it didn't seem that deceptive.

you know what ultimately I'm pissed that japanese gamers get these games first...and then they get versions that are even better than ours a little later.

but hey that I guess it's more productive for me to learn japanese.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes they get more LE systems and controllers and what not, but think about 2 things. Japanese games cost at least 10 dollars more than ours minimum. No rental of games over there. Well they are testing a system now, but you will never be able to go to a video store and rent games like we do over here. No used sales of games, unless that has changed. Plus they don't have crazy sales like we do for games either. And besides how many of us are gonna pony up 300 or so every time a LE system comes out? Maybe once. Hell we bithc about the price of consoles as it is. I wish we had more LE systems and bundles and what not, but as long as there are import stores I can't complain too much.
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buttasuperb
    Quote Originally Posted by kai123
    http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/action/metalgearworkingtitle/news_6087175.html

Just buy one anyways. Isn't it easy to play games from all regions on a GC?
    I think I might pick one up it would just be easier and cheaper if it was released over here.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

No used games in Japan? Why? I buy a lot of my games used.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If only you (and other american gamers) knew how lucky you are to live in the united states.

Games and consoles in Europe a lot more expensive and it takes ages before they get a discount. I've read many a tale of people buying games for any of the three newest console for under 10 bucks. You can forget about that in Europe, it just won't happen. Even playstation games for less than 10 bucks are hard to find.

Most games and consoles that come from Japan or the USA get a release here months later. IF they get a release, which sometimes doesn't even happen. I know Europe has games the USA doesn't get, but there are a lot more games Europe doesn't get that the USA does get.

Classic gaming is even worse. There aren't a lot of specialized gaming stores here and the ones that are carry mostly the new stuff. If you're lucky they might have some nintendo64 or megadrive cartridges, but be prepared to pay double ebay prices for it.

In the 2 years I've been collecting I found less than 1 percent of my older games in the wild. All the rest had to come from ebay, message boards or specialized sites. And I know I'm not the only European gamer that is in this situation.