Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why does north america get the shaft?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arrrhalomynn
    If only you (and other american gamers) knew how lucky you are to live in the united states.

Games and consoles in Europe a lot more expensive and it takes ages before they get a discount. I've read many a tale of people buying games for any of the three newest console for under 10 bucks. You can forget about that in Europe, it just won't happen. Even playstation games for less than 10 bucks are hard to find.

Most games and consoles that come from Japan or the USA get a release here months later. IF they get a release, which sometimes doesn't even happen. I know Europe has games the USA doesn't get, but there are a lot more games Europe doesn't get that the USA does get.

Classic gaming is even worse. There aren't a lot of specialized gaming stores here and the ones that are carry mostly the new stuff. If you're lucky they might have some nintendo64 or megadrive cartridges, but be prepared to pay double ebay prices for it.

In the 2 years I've been collecting I found less than 1 percent of my older games in the wild. All the rest had to come from ebay, message boards or specialized sites. And I know I'm not the only European gamer that is in this situation.
    have to agree here, the wild nearly doesn't exist over here

but have to disagree about the prices, it's not impossible to get Gamecube/PS2/Xbox games under 10, bought several gamecube games for 5 euro sealed (Big Air Freestyle, NHL Hitz 2003...) and also a PS2 gem (Tenchu III Wrath of Heaven) although that one was a fault of the store, got ir for 5 euro two weeks BEFORE the official release

i think your problem is that you live in the Netherlands seriously, i've been to the netherlands very very often in my life (i'm half dutch) and prices are insane!! pc's did cost about 50% more 5 years ago, not quite sure how it is right now, but it's clearly more expensive than in germany
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by brykasch
    Japan...No used sales of games, unless that has changed.
    You can buy used games all over the place in Japan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Everybody, stop your bitchin' because nobody here has it as bad as these guys.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I have to agree with our European gamers - they get the shaft *way* more than those of us in NA. I can't imagine waiting *longer* for stuff to get translated from Japanese than we already do.

I kind of envy the Japanese and I kind of don't. On the one hand they've got *so much more* than we do. On the other hand, I can't keep up with the volume we *do* get, so maybe it's good to be a Canadian gamer after all
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by § Gideon §
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arrrhalomynn
    If only you (and other american gamers) knew how lucky you are to live in the united states.

Games and consoles in Europe a lot more expensive and it takes ages before they get a discount. I've read many a tale of people buying games for any of the three newest console for under 10 bucks. You can forget about that in Europe, it just won't happen. Even playstation games for less than 10 bucks are hard to find.

Most games and consoles that come from Japan or the USA get a release here months later. IF they get a release, which sometimes doesn't even happen. I know Europe has games the USA doesn't get, but there are a lot more games Europe doesn't get that the USA does get.

Classic gaming is even worse. There aren't a lot of specialized gaming stores here and the ones that are carry mostly the new stuff. If you're lucky they might have some nintendo64 or megadrive cartridges, but be prepared to pay double ebay prices for it.

In the 2 years I've been collecting I found less than 1 percent of my older games in the wild. All the rest had to come from ebay, message boards or specialized sites. And I know I'm not the only European gamer that is in this situation.

That sounds awfully similar to my collecting experiences in Mexico

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    I thought I remembered hearing that selling used games was illegal in Japan for some reason. Sounded weird to me, but Japan's done some other really weird stuff (Don't make me link to Water Closet), so who the hell knows?

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro
    I thought I remembered hearing that selling used games was illegal in Japan for some reason. Sounded weird to me, but Japan's done some other really weird stuff (Don't make me link to Water Closet), so who the hell knows?

--Zero
    Hmmm... I'm not an expert on Japanese law, but I could personally take you to any number of shops in the Kansai area that sell used games. Some damn cool shops, I might add. I'm just pissed you can't buy magic mushrooms over-the-counter anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Quote Originally Posted by § Gideon §

That's hilarious!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm just pissed you can't buy magic mushrooms over-the-counter anymore.
    Heh heh. There are some benefits to living in Europe...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius
    oh yeah, that's ONE city in whole europe, woohoo, that's like LA was the only city in the US where you could buy a lot of games
    -Jan

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    Quote Originally Posted by Parodius
    oh yeah, that's ONE city in whole europe, woohoo, that's like LA was the only city in the US where you could buy a lot of games
    Yeah, but what a city!!!!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Remember I said I thought it was illegal to sell used games. It may have changed since then maybe gaijin can help us on that.
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey

I live in the UK, and you have it all wrong (Europe and Japan get the best??) most if not all GC and Nintendo Magazines, always complain about how nintendo don't want to know europe, and there right. I'm a huge Nintendo fan and since 91 / 92' i'v always bought Nintendo NTSC / American systems. Purely for the fact the games are released far earlier than Pal versons, But i think the American consoles are better as well..

We have to wait forever for games to show up over here, it's normally a few months (4 or 5) after the american release.. The next crappy thing to happen, is that some of the best titles, don't make it over (to europe) cos' we might not get "THEM".. and the real reason, they won't take to chance on losing money!.

The Gamecube is by no means winning any 1st places prizes but it's in no way dead! in the UK

It sold crazy numbers in november and december (200,000) i don't have the exact numbers ( i'll leave that to zmweasel ), but it was high, this was down to the price cut for the GC, as well as the new GC packages (Double Dash etc) on the run upto christmas.

Someone else mentioned the price of games they are too high, but it's been that way for along time..

When Rushing beat (Super famicom) was released i got it through an import dealer for £80 that was about $140 back then!! i know crazy, crazy i still kick my self, but at least i didn't pay £130 for the Jap version of Street fighter II, that was for the game only!!!!! But it was the Sh$t. and it was the first week of the JAP release.

Things aren't that bad now for imports but, it shows we have had the sh$tty end of the stick!!

Lastly Nintendo Imports are illegal in the UK, No Jap or U.S games are allowed to be sold in any major (chain) store, if they do they lose the right to sell Nintendo products, this in a way is understandable (the lose of profit on pal games), but since not all GC Jap/US games get a europe / pal release where is the chance to play these games!?!?

XS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Remember I said I thought it was illegal to sell used games. It may have changed since then maybe gaijin can help us on that.
    Yeah, I'm a gaijin, and I helped us out. Obviously it's not illegal anymore, as they are sold everywhere at reputable shops.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

I read somewhere that you can't RENT games in Japan... you have to buy them.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

I read somewhere that you can't RENT games in Japan... you have to buy them.