Thread: DDRMAX 2... Ummm...

Pac-Man (Level 10) atomicthumbs's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DDRMAX 2... Ummm...

Okay. So my brother calls me up a few days ago and tells me I HAVE to try this game! I've definately heard of it before, but I never thought it was for me. I've never really had fun dancing (since I always thought I looked stupid doing it), but this looks and sounds like an absolute blast!

I'm too embarrased to try it in the arcades/bars/bowling alleys for my first time. I did some looking around and I'm thinking about just going out and buying the one that comes with the pad controller packed in (and if it's really not for me, sell it on ebay).

Anyone else start this way? I'd love to hear anyones personal opinions (to hell with reviews). Is the pack-in the best version of the dance mat to start on (aside from the metal ones for $100+)? Thanks!

"Gamera is really neat --- He is filled with turtle meat --- We all love you Ga-me-ra!"
    - MST3K

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly, I thought that these games were the stupidest thing ever and I couldn't believe how many people loved them so much. I had listened to some people tell me how great they were, and I just didn't believe them at all. I watched some people play a DDR machine at the local arcade, and again thought it looked pretty stupid.

Then, I was approached to release Feet of Fury. I bought a couple dance pads and tried the early versions of the game out with them.

Since that time, I have been pretty much addicted to the genre. Personally, I was not quite as happy with the DDR games as I get horrible scores on them, but perhaps that is just me.

Anywho, I would suggest trying it out just by purchasing and/or playing a game without the dance pads. If you have a Dreamcast and broadband, the demo version of Feet of Fury can be found for free. If you like the games with a controller and want to try with your feet, then invest in a dance pad or two. If you don't like them after your initial taste, don't get a dance pad.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Oh hush with your FoF propaganda. ^_^

DDR is the best. I thought I'd never play in public, but once you get to 3-4 foot songs (out of 10) suddenly you are THE GREATEST PERSON EVER TO DANCE ON A MACHINE IN A MALL.

Just get a cheapo pad, they're fine for beginners. You WILL stick with the game, trust me.

<- DDR Player since April 2002

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I say go for it. The fact that you think it looks even remotely interesting to begin with is a good sign. You will almost certainly be hopelessly addicted. Get the bundle with DDR Max 2 and the Konami mat that you can find at most stores. The Konami mat is great, and will suit you just fine.

This is more or less how I started roughly 2 years ago when there was only a single US version for PSX with about 27 songs. I played a couple rounds on someone else's homemade mat here in the dorm, then went right out and bought the original bundle that weekend, and never looked back. Honest to god, I was playing at least an hour a day for several months straight.

Also, pick up Frequency and Amplitude for PS2 so you'll have a good controller music game to play for when you've beaten your legs to a pulp. ;-)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Yashiro
    Oh hush with your FoF propaganda. ^_^

DDR is the best. I thought I'd never play in public, but once you get to 3-4 foot songs (out of 10) suddenly you are THE GREATEST PERSON EVER TO DANCE ON A MACHINE IN A MALL.

Just get a cheapo pad, they're fine for beginners. You WILL stick with the game, trust me.

<- DDR Player since April 2002
    Erm, excuse me for suggesting a FREE demo of a game that is LIKE DDR for him to try before committing money to a DDR set-up. DDR is not for everyone, just like any game is not for everyone. Sorry that I suggested a free alternative.

For atomicthumbs, if you want to try the free demo version of FoF, you can find it here:

http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/fof.shtml
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Speaking of free demos...

http://www.pumpxtreme.net/

Pump it Up is a Korean game that plays almost exactly like DDR. This should run on any decent PC. Download that 3 song demo and amuse yourself until you can get to the mall to buy DDR.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find to FoF to be far, far inferior to DDR.

In any case, I say go for it. Cheapo pads will be fine for now. Hell, I've been playing for well over a year and my MadCatz pads just recently gave out. And when I say well over a year, I mean more than an hour every single day. I wouldn't start with DDR MAX2 though. Start with just MAX (if you ask me). It has the better song selection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman
    Start with just MAX (if you ask me). It has the better song selection.
    I agree about the song list, but there are two things that make Max 2 a bit more suitable in this case:

1. Beginner mode
    2. It comes with the mat

So if you like the game, and you feel pretty confident with Light mode, by all means, go get Max. You'll love it. Max 2 is no slouch either, but most of us were just a little bit more impressed with Max, it seems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PIU > DDR

Mmmhmm! (Just wish there was a console version... PC VERSIONS ARE FREAKING EXPENSIVE!)
    Mwerp.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I second the suggestions above... I have the Konamix and Disney versions for PSX and they're quite challenging (don't laugh, the Disney DDR game is cute, but not that easy!!!).

DDR does look and sound stupid as a concept, yet after trying it, gotta admit that it's a lotta fun.

It's also a great source of cardio exercise (always start with a low-level song to warm up)!
    --> great alternative to a gym subscription if your budget is tight.

I also second Frequency and Amplitude.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Castelak
    PIU > DDR
    Wrongo!

...although Pump It Up! is a good bit of fun. One thing they do that I wish DDR would implement is when they have a combination of three direction at once, so you have to hit one with your hand. That's pretty damn cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let me make an alternative statement...

PIU steps > DDR steps

Even the stupid fast songs seem to flow well.

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

I get a little frusterated playing PIU, probably just because I was so used to playing up down left and right that it was odd to adjust to using all the other spots instead. And about FoF, I LOVED that game to death (haven't played it for a little while, but I did unlock everything). Good music (Ramp, NRG, and Those Damn Noodles ROCK!), nice look, and interesting characters (though QUITE shallow). Definately a great way to work out (Just try a few ten-footers in a row, now THAT'S a workout!).

I played DDR Disney Mix when I was in Florida back in April. Wow, when you go to a place like that, NO ONE knows how to play; I was a GOD.

<--DDR player since March 2002 w/ 3rd Mix, and didn't actually get to be any good until this past few months. ("I passed Sakura on Maniac! WOOHOO!"

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

What are the licensed songs on the latest DDRMAX release? I wonder because Konami won't carry the game in Canada due to licensing issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Check DDRFreak. They should have all the US song lists.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love my Famicom edition. Besides that I hate this game.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text