Thread: Strange Collecting Question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Strange Collecting Question

I have had a subscription to GamePro since 1994, and seriously have so many mags that I am running out of room. Do collectors actually collect magazines? Because if they do, I might hold on to them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can only speak about myself but I do. Currently I only collect the real early examples. I have the Premier Issues of

Electronic Games
    Electronic Fun
    Video Games
    Video Games Player
    Electronic Fun with Computers and Games

I only collect mags from the 70's and 80's but I will pay $20-$30 to get a hold of Mint condition Magazines. I was lucky enough to meet some one anal enough at the last Vegas CGE who had the foresight to put his mags in comic book protectors and Telephone book bags. I would imagine someday somebody would feel the same about new mags. I personally enjoy reading the old articles and checking out the ads.
    Aha! Now we see the violence inherent in the system!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I get stuff from the early 90's and late 80's mainly because I can get those cheap. Some collectors collect magazines but some don't because they take up too much room after a while.
    Sorry Ryan, but your girlfriend is in another school.

Video games & manga (my manga scanlation group that scanlates video game manga) http://www.north101.net/Chara/vgm/index.html

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always keep magazines just because I like them. Besides, it's awesome to have, say, a strategy feature on FF6 on the shelf. Or, failing that, you get to look back on all the games that the previews made a huge fuss over and ended up sucking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the only thing i really use older mags for are the strategy guides that are included inside of them.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yup. I have seen magazines go for ALOT of money, on the CGE auction block. like alot. If you can sell them in sets, mint, they are worth some cash.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I collect game mags. I recently ran into some problems displaying them, so I have a couple hundred in a box instead of on my shelf, but it is still easy access.
    I like monkeys...and poop...and monkeys that poop...and play video games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't collect them as much as I just don't throw them away.

I have stacks of GameInformer, GamePro, CGW, EGM plus tons of MacWorld, MacAddict, MaximumPC, Esquire, Gentlemans Quarterly, Wired, old PopSci and new, US Weekly, some Details, an FHM...

If I had to retire some to make room, it'll be CGW, MaximumPC and PC Magazine. I am not a PC user. So I don't need them. But I still won't toss em.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man my mag collection is so big, when we put the mags in the shelf, the shelf fell apart under the weight. But yeah I see where you are coming from. I usually read my mags late at night to make the time pass by. I don't have any old game mags, just 1998-now, but I have about 100.
    <----------------------------------------------------------------->
    How Many Games I Own:About 50
    I am playing: KOTOR,Sonic adventure 2 Battle,Animal crossing
    <----------------------------------------------------------------->

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have issues 1 to 99 of Nintendo Power and once I get ahold of issue 100, that will be it for me. I'll take any pre-1990 mag I can get my hands on, but modern-day VG mags are junk (in my admitedly biased opinion).
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the first issue (volume 1 number 1) of Tips & Tricks for sale. In fair condition.
    Oh eBay! you are such a pain, I am addicted to you like crack cocaine. You offer things I cannot find in stores,You are the pimp, and we are all your whores.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default mags..

I don't exactly collect mags, but I will buy them if I see them at a yard sale or something similar. I've also kept all the magazines that I subscribed to growing up, and that was from about 1992-1999 (NP, Game Players, etc.), so I have a decent collection of them.

I also display them in my game room sometimes, with a certain mag, the game that's featured on the cover, and whatever else I have related to that game. Just to change things up. Weird probably, but that's me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah, i really don't collect them, i just keep them. Some are in horrible shape, but I am the type of person that feels I shouldn't throw things away just because there is that small chance that somebody could be looking to collect it, and I could make money. The only magazines I collected was the full set of the official Dreamcast Magazine from the Promo #0 issue up to thew last issue, with all the demo disks

But hey, thats SegaAges style for ya

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

YES, I do collect Nintendo Power's. I have other subscriptions other than Nintendo Power's but usually just throw them away.
    I got Nintendo Power (the very first year it started in '88 or '89 I think) and other than being a Nintendo guy, I love to collect them. I almost have EVERY issue made of NP. All in PERFECT NEW condition too. I do put them in magazine sleeves and put them into baseball card binders. I don't know if other old mags are worth any money, I know Nintendo Powers do, but I have seen issue one's go for 50-100 dollars, in new condition, and Nintendo Fun Club mags (The pre- nintendo powers) #1's go for $1200 one time on ebay. THAT'S CRAZY!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

YES, I do collect Nintendo Power's. I have other subscriptions other than Nintendo Power's but usually just throw them away.
    I got Nintendo Power (the very first year it started in '88 or '89 I think) and other than being a Nintendo guy, I love to collect them. I almost have EVERY issue made of NP. All in PERFECT NEW condition too. I do put them in magazine sleeves and put them into baseball card binders. I don't know if other old mags are worth any money, I know Nintendo Powers do, but I have seen issue one's go for 50-100 dollars, in new condition, and Nintendo Fun Club mags (The pre- nintendo powers) #1's go for $1200 one time on ebay. THAT'S CRAZY!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to collect GamePro and EGM magazines but I just couldn't get enough space to store them. The only real magazine I actually find interesting is my PSM #1. That about sums it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I collect them, sure enough. I have about 25 of those magazine boxes (like comic boxes) on a shelf, and a couple of boxes of oversized mags, plus a bunch of magazines requiring more boxes. That doesn't count the approximately 4 boxes of magazines I haven't read yet. Yikes.

But, I'm always looking for more -- like Q64 mags I missed way back, older Game Players ones that I never bothered with, and some others. I'm not as organized with magazines, but I'm sorting my list a bit of late, so if you have extras, shoot me an email.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A year or two back I sold my somewhat sizeable Nintendo Power collection on eBay and got over $150. So yes, some people do collect magazines.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to try and collect Next Generation and some old DIEHARD GAMEFAN mags.