Thread: Ninja Gaiden II: Like a normal gaiden, but with ninja

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ninja Gaiden II: Like a normal gaiden, but with ninja

I picked this up not long ago. It's a blast, but I've got a couple questions.

One of the powerups makes what appears to be an orange holographic-y double image behind my ninja. I thought it was a graphical glitch, at first. It does everything my ninja does, so I thought it might be some sort of "helper", but it doesn't seem to be able to hit enemies. What the heck is this thing supposed to do?

I'm also having a lot of trouble in the snowy level early on. When I'm climbing on the side of something, jumping backwards is easy, but getting on top of the thing I'm hanging on is very difficult. Is there a trick to this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The double can attack enemies, but like yourself, only with it's sword. sometimes it's hard to time it so the double attacks the enemy. I think it also copies your other picked up weapons.

As for the wall jumping, i think it just takes alot of practice.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

The orange ninja (in fact, you can have up to two) is the shadow ninja power, which only appeared in NG2. They do hurt enemies, you just have to position them right - and they do use whatever special weapon Ryu has as well. Once you get used to them, you'll find they can be quite helpful.

I'm positive Tecmo "borrowed" the idea of the shadow ninjas from Irem's Ninja Spirit.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51
    The orange ninja (in fact, you can have up to two) is the shadow ninja power, which only appeared in NG2. They do hurt enemies, you just have to position them right - and they do use whatever special weapon Ryu has as well. Once you get used to them, you'll find they can be quite helpful.

I'm positive Tecmo "borrowed" the idea of the shadow ninjas from Irem's Ninja Spirit.
    So Ninja Spirit was the originator, huh? Cool. I always thought that NS copied Gaiden II....probablly because i didnt play NS until 2000 lol

I still love Gaiden II. Its one of the few games til this day -- in fact it may be the only -- that still puts up a challenge. In fact, i dare to say that if Ninja Gaiden II was released today for the first time, I probablly would never beaten it because after working all day, i wouldnt want the stress lol Its amazing how dedicated children can be....
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Yep, the arcade Ninja Spirit came out in 1988 - a full two years before NG2. The Turbo port of NS was released in the U.S. in 1990, a few months after NG2 was released. When I originally played the Turbo game, I thought the same thing - until I looked up NS's copyright info.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

The trick to jumping to the top of a wall after you ahve climbed up the side is percise controller movement. When you reach the top, jump away and then RIGHT AWAY slam back on the other side of the pad. It's a quick, sharp move, which becomes second nature after you use it enough. It's a handy skill to have for all three games.

Love the Ninja Gaiden games to death. The first one was what inspired the whole 'cinema scene' concept.

And I can still go through NG II on a single life.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, one of the few NES games that I own. I usually end up frustrated in the second level, but I have passed it a few times. I actually made it to the final boss once, but was beaten severely.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Funny that this comes up...I watched the demo movie from Ninja Spirit in MAME yesterday :)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Ah, Phantom Doubles... why didn't they make it to NG3?

The wall jump does take a bit of work, but I don't have much trouble with it. I just hold the direction away from the wall, then the instant after I press A, I go the other direction. Practice, and it will be second nature.

NG2 is one of my favorite NES games, that's for sure. I assume, Dahne, that you have the original NG. If not, I'd get it. Still my favorite NG after all these years. NG3... eh, I can't really recommend it. If you ever get serious about beating the game legitimately, you're playing with fire in front of a leaky gas station. It's THAT difficult.

But what I can recommend is NG for the Sega Master System, which I think is better than NG3. No Phantom Doubles, though.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Actually, I enjoyed NG3 almost as much as NG2. I think all three games are difficult, but the HARDEST for me has always been the first one -- especily that last stage.

NG3 is a little harder then NG2. I can beat both of THOSE games on one life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also think NG3 is Harder than NG2. But still love the first one the best! I know it's not gaming wise, but have the most fun playing it by far.
    Anyone saying they can beat the NG on one life, and have heard it alot, I just can't believe, . For some reason I can't beat it with no more than 4 or 5 lives.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

It's actually not THAT hard -- it just takes a lot of pratice, and knowing where everything is, and some carefull game playing. I loved these games for the NES so I would spend a long time on them, trying to figure out the best ways to shave time off and advance in the game. I'm not sure if I could still do both games on a single LIFE anymore, to be honest -- but I'm sure one on credit.