Thread: anyone ever replace a 72pin adapter.. i need trouble shootin

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default anyone ever replace a 72pin adapter.. i need trouble shootin

i replaced my 72pin adapter on my nes.. finally i came in the mail.. been waiting 2-3 weeks..

anyways... i'm frustrated.. the pins are all aligned properly.. i don't know why.. but when i had it disassembled and the new pin in.. I put in mega man 6 and just pressed down with my fingers to keep it down slightly.. it worked for a split second i got the capcom screen and then blank.. black screen..

so it somewhat works i guess.. anyways after i got it back together with the spring loaded up and down locker or whatever it's called is in.. and i put the game back in and pressed down and pressed power... now sometimes i get blinking black screen.. or just a black screen and no blinking.. i thought it may be becasue i was using the rf plug and it may have gonebad but the av is the same way.. when i put a different game in like Burger Time.. i get black and then browns screens back and forth.. i haven't been able to get the capcom screen or any other starting screen after i put it back together.. i thought it was just me so i disassembled 3-4 times now and rechecking the pin alignments and the wide ones at the bottom are aligned right.. the ones at the top appear to be aligned minus one on the far right... i don't know if its just my replacement or not but heres what i see on the top mini row..

it looks like theres a slight curve upward like a slight smiley face or maybe a grin or something.. but the one tiny pin on the far right looks like its not quite straigt so i'm gonna go find some small tweezer or something to see if i can get it straight but besides that anyone have any ideas?

yes my game are clean i've been cleaning them for the past 3 days repeatedly so they gotta be clean.. i cleaned the connectors on the nes before i put the new 72pin connector on too.. i've tried everything i can think of so i need some input.. i'm looking at my old nes connector and the mini pins aren't like the one on my replacement.. they are straight.. the on the end is going to need aligned i guess..i hope to good ness that this isn't one of the faulty new pins like i've read about..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well those tiny pins appeared to be the problem... i couldn't find anything really small enough to get in there and push them down so i had to use the point on the end of my voltage meter to get above them and push them down to the same height as the rest of the tiny pins.. i plugged in mega man 6 and it seems to be working again.. it's still not screwed down so i hope it will still work after i screw everything together again.. i seem to find that i cant tighten the front of the spring loader too much of it won't stay down when pressed down.. so i just loosen the screws slightly to fix that.. i'll let you know tommorrow if i got it working fully.. it's 11pm and i've got a couple beers in me and don't quite feel like my hands will effectivly screw everythign back to gether again.. funny somehow i can type somewhat well... ok sorry to bother you.. i'll respond again if i encounter any problems again.. sorry for posting and then saying i think i fixed it..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well i got it up and running finally.. it's all back together.. the power plug seems a little loose.. but other than that its working.. i tried a few game out they work but some games still don't work with the game genie connected to it.. maybe i gotta clean the game genie more.. maybe not cause i got mega man 2 to work with the gg so it must be working just some games don't like it.. well i'm sorry to have bothered you with my small problem before. all that it needed was some pulling downwards on those top mini pins.. thats all..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I consider the new pins untrustworthy and unreliable on the whole.

I hope you got a good one. Good Luck.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah i don't trust it too much as well but so far its working.. the quality of the materials is poor.. the plastic is ruff and those mini pins were no where near the quality that the nes had.. they were all pointing different dirrections and not straight.. not really reliable..

i should have tried those gold ones.. maybe those are more reliable or manufactured better..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    I consider the new pins untrustworthy and unreliable on the whole.

I hope you got a good one. Good Luck.
    I think there are different companies making them or at least there are a couple different qualities. You usually get what you pay for. And the nes carts have different thickness boards in them, so if you get a cheap one and streach out the pins it will start blinking all over again.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it might also be the cartridge pins that have been torndown so they dont reach.
    Broken? fix it.