Thread: Question for Saturn fiends...

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Question for Saturn fiends...

I have a JP Sarurn, i'd like to get it to also play US games, without a mod. Is this possible?

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

look on ebay for an st-key.it will let you use imports,its a memory card and it is a 1m and 4m cart for snk and capcom fighting games.it will plug into the memory card slot and let you play imports.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure one of the functions for the saturn pro action/game action replay was to play import games. I remember it working for my US system so maybe itll work vice versa?

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

yeah, that's the rub, anyone know if the ST-Key would work on a JP system to play US games? not many US games I'd want to play (mainly RPGs) but it'd still be nice to have the option.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonyvortex
    look on ebay for an st-key.it will let you use imports,its a memory card and it is a 1m and 4m cart for snk and capcom fighting games.it will plug into the memory card slot and let you play imports.
    The ST-Key does NOT work on a Jp system for US games. I've tried it. Sorry.

This is a great question for the IMPORT FORUMS! That's what we have them for!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am not sure that that statement is correct. I have 2 ST keys and all they do is break the import barriers and nothing more. Perhaps there are a couple different versions? I know for a fact that the 4 MEG games wont run with my ST KEY plugged in. I also have never been able to save anything to em. Like I said, perhaps there are a few different versions. Would somebody shed some light on this?

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This one should work

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?cat...ducts_id=1694&

They also have a cheaper one, but i don't know anything about it

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?cat...oducts_id=100&

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oh sorry i didnt read that wll enough before i replied,i use mine on my american saturn.

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:14 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

I am not sure that that statement is correct. I have 2 ST keys and all they do is break the import barriers and nothing more. Perhaps there are a couple different versions? I know for a fact that the 4 MEG games wont run with my ST KEY plugged in. I also have never been able to save anything to em. Like I said, perhaps there are a few different versions. Would somebody shed some light on this?

actuelly there are a few differant ones,the one i have i bought at the same time as x-men vs streetfighter.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Question for Saturn fiends...

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG
    I have a JP Sarurn, i'd like to get it to also play US games, without a mod. Is this possible?
    Before this gets too confusing

The ST-KEY is a non RAM expander cart that gets around the territory lockout (though it will not let you play CDRs by itself which is fine). It loads to the normal Saturn screen, but bypasses the territory lockout so that you can just select START and the game will load (US game or Japanese game - it doesn't matter). The ST-KEY I have works fine in my US Saturn and my Japanese Saturn (which is a US Saturn with the jumpers switch to Japanese settings - I've been _told_ this is equiv to a full Japanese system). So even though maxlords has had problems with his ST-KEY in his Japanese Saturn... I've had no such problems (maybe mine is a later rev ST-KEY?). Because it has no RAM on the cart, it will not let you play the 1MB and 4MB Saturn games.

I also have a Action Replay 4M (made by EMS) which has several functions - including the ability to bypass the territory lockout as well as 1MB and 4MB modes of expanded RAM (for use with all those great later SNK and Capcom games) and some nov-RAM where you can shuffle saved data to and from your Saturn (there is no direct save support with this cart, but the ability to move files to and from your Saturn makes life much easier when you fill your Saturn internal memory). This PAR 4-in-1 has worked fine on both my US Saturn and my Japanese Saturn for playing games of BOTH territories.

I have no idea if there are different "revs" of these products that would be better than other revs... but I've had nothing but good luck with both products.
    DaveB
    llabnip

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do the jumper mod all the time, and have done both US and JP saturns.

I can't answer the question really, but I need to add something to this:

The ST-KEY I have works fine in my US Saturn and my Japanese Saturn (which is a US Saturn with the jumpers switch to Japanese settings - I've been _told_ this is equiv to a full Japanese system).
    That may or may not be the case. While the hardware is the same on the inside as far as US/JP systems go, there are major differences in the OS (operating system) that runs the unit and manages the memory. The two systems have a different boot screen, and different options in the menu (especially the CD audio menu). These differences are as likely as not to cause issues with the third party carts. I know SEGA brand carts from Japan work great in US Saturns. The wild card here is third party carts have a very spotty compatibility record across various Saturn versions.

Only thing that will tell you for sure is to buy one and try it. Odds are good that you will be OK.

*shameless self promotion* Nevertheless, I recommend the switch mod. It frees your cart slot up for saving, RAM expansion, whatever. It's not a very invasive mod, as it's just 6 wires and a DPDT switch. I think it's the mosty elegant solution to the problem. FYI I do it for trades.

Good Luck!
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a Sega Sattelite that I used for imports, its a white cart. I also had a converter cart, and an all in 1 ram cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The ST-KEY is a non RAM expander cart that gets around the territory lockout
    ...you have to remember that there are differant versions.the one i have does have a switch that lets you go from 1 to 4 m for the fighting games.on the label it even says ST-KRY + 4M RAM.