Thread: Website Issues?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Website Issues?

Is it me or has the entire site been running extremely slow the past week or so? My 3mb Comcast Cable Modem is being brought to it's knees trying to navigate the pages here. Are there hosting problems, work being done on the server? or again, is it just me?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There must be as it has always been super fast on the T1 here at work but now it crawls.
    GameGuru
    Visit Nostalgia Gaming if you like classic gaming!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow I was just about to make a topic about this too. I have to wait a good 30 solid seconds for each page to load...its getting a bit annoying

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There was a thread about it already.
    It's a bandwith issue.
    I think POG or Achika said something about needing a T-1 line or something like that to fix the slowdown.

Here's hoping it's soon...

By the way i notice the slowdown when there's more than 60-70 members on at once. So that must be the crashing point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

It was POG, but I really think it's quite useless to keep posting about "OMG IT"S SOOOO SLOW" each week. We KNOW. They are trying to figure out a solution about what to do...but until then, WE KNOW. It's not like we can jump into a hamster wheel to make the net go faster when someone brings it up again and again how slow it is.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Achika
    It was POG, but I really think it's quite useless to keep posting about "OMG IT"S SOOOO SLOW" each week. We KNOW. They are trying to figure out a solution about what to do...but until then, WE KNOW. It's not like we can jump into a hamster wheel to make the net go faster when someone brings it up again and again how slow it is.
    Oh don't be modest, I'm sure you can run at least three times as fast as me.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe it's time to introduce a members fee..

I wouldn't mind paypal'ing DP some $$$ to get a faster connection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Um, I wasn't trying to criticize, its just that the problems seemed to start so suddenly I'd thought that something was going on.

Oh and as for
    We KNOW

Well, I didn't know that it's been discussed recently and apparantly a few others who replied didn't either.

I'd imagine that a lot of the bandwidth problems are stemming from all of the additions to this site that were added recently. I'm sure that tons of the images that are hosted here such as the advertisements, screen shots and videos are being hot-linked to like crazy. Perhaps it is time to make a "members only" section to this site and charge a nominal fee for its usage. If anything it'll help out a little and probably eliminate the leechers.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Hey, I've got some ideas about how to speed it up, who should I PM about it? Or is it all under control and my suggestions are futile?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really think it's quite useless to keep posting about "OMG IT"S SOOOO SLOW" each week. We KNOW.
    Dear god YES!!!! To Achika you listen. I'm still using d/u, so spare me your DSL/cable modem/T-1 "horror" stories

Joe's been adding some bandwidth-hoggin sections lately, and every time he does, this site gets leeched more than a 16th century patient. Plus we have an alpaca terrorist who wants nothing more than to kick us when we're down. Literally.

Besides, this thread is OT anyway, so slap a masterlock on it (and break the key off).
    [SIZE="4"]<< INSERT MESETA FOR SIGNATURE >>[/SIZE]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I know this isn't really helpful, but before people start bitching about the Roundtable -- run on phpBB, independently -- be glad you're not working at a ForumPlanet site.

Yeah. This place is pretty good, as far as that's concerned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    Hey, I've got some ideas about how to speed it up, who should I PM about it? Or is it all under control and my suggestions are futile?
    I'm sure suggestions are cool, and the person would be DP. The only futile part is posting every week to say that it's slow....nothing more than to gripe about the slowness.

PS. The posts in question are in OT. I believe Sylentwulf was the one that started the last few.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

As I've said numerous times before, I'm more aware of the issues than anyone, and I'm doing my best to deal with them. Here's what's been discussed so far:

1. We've got an above-average-sized community on the forums, that takes bandwidth. I've moved most of the graphic-intensive stuff off of the main server and onto videogamearchive.com, our mirror site.

2. A few weeks ago we all discussed contributions and donations. I don't like taking money from people and plan to continue to run a free site, so you have to bear with us as we work out solutions that are cost-effective. In any event, donations won't help very much at this point, since a T1 lne costs upwards of $400/month to finance.

3. I met with the server admin Larry "retrogmr" last weekend, our next step is to move the server itself to a spot where we have exceptional bandwidth. That's the problem these days - too many people, too narrow a pipe. Larry is expecting an estimate by Tuesday, and if it's within my budget I'll shell it out. We've been fortunate to have some friends who can help out as we grow.

And this growth is literally by leaps and bounds lately - all I ask is that you be patient as we work through the growing pains. We've managed it before, we'll manage it again.

Thanks for your understanding and sorry for the inconvenience.