Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Sheeps in game series

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Black Sheeps in game series

One would have to be thosse horrible zelda games that WEREN'T on a nintendo system. What are some other black sheeps for gaming series?
    Games I Am Playing: Animal Crossing, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Super Mario 64
    Movies I am Watching: The MR. Bill collection, Indiana Jones, Alien
    TV: X-Play

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Star Fox Adventures. That ain't no damn Star Fox game.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some classic ones I would include are Super Mario Bros. 2, Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest, and Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link (notice how they're all the second game in the series?). All of these were pretty radical departures from the original, and it's also interesting to note that the third game in each series was pretty much a return to the form of the original game. That being said, I think all three of these are awesome games. I even still think that Castlevania 2 paved the way for Symphony of the Night and the GBA Castlevania series. I'm sure there are tons of examples, but these are the ones right off the top of my head. Too bad that almost all sequels on current consoles are basically exactly the same as the originals nowadays........nobody likes taking chances anymore, and 95% of new games are boring to begin with.
    "Everything that you've ever done, are doing now, or will ever do is a complete waste of time unless it directly involves Randy 'Macho Man' Savage." - random Amazon.com review

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Final Fantasy 8. I'm spent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked Mario 2. I always liked Mario 2. But yeah, I can agree. It was too different. But now after almost 15 years, it's become part of the Mario universe. So you can't blame it any longer.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Black Sheeps in game series

I vote Phantasy Star 3. I love it, but its nothing like 1,2 and 4.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    Final Fantasy 8. I'm spent.
    can't say how much I hate the junctioning system...but ironically it was the last one I ever played to it's end

I'm pretty sure Tomb Raider AoD is the black sheep...I mean it was so bad that Eidos lost the next game to Crystal Dynamics, but that's beating a dead horse

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Contra Force for the NES.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

The Castlevania Adventure doesn't feel like a CV game, isn't as fun as a CV game, and is more frustrating than most CV games. Hardly my favorite in the series, though it's not horrendous compared to other games. It can only warrant a status of "mediocre."

Then there's Thunder Force II, which is an outcast in an otherwise excellent series of shmups. I think I'm turned off by the overhead "search-and-destroy" scenes, and the difficulty is insane, even more so than TF IV, IMO.

Oh, and while most Batman games rule, the Genesis version of Batman: Return (or Revenge) of the Joker SUCKED. Ironically, for a system with more power, the graphics and sound were inferior to the NES version. But the gameplay... oy. It's almost like Ocean developed that game, and not Sunsoft. BURN!
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

needs food badly. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Schlimtor
    PSN
    Schlimtor

Double Dragon V is a good candidate for black sheep in a series. Why this game was ever referred to as the fifth game in the series is beyond me. And I thought the game sucked to boot.
    "Red Warrior needs food badly."

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dragons Lair 3d. I like the game and all, but its a poor excuse for a sequel.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

N/A

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic 3d blast was so hard for me to play on the genesis and saturn.....its like a tony hawk camera angle,on a game that is best when its 2d, but i dont hate it.......sonic adventure was much better....sonic heroes sucked.....now there is a game that was making its way back up to the top (with the GBA and DX for GC) and then the card battle one and heroes sucked(IMO). i hope they make some cooler ones, like a sonic that lets you change views from 2d to 3d to fit your style of gameplay....that would be nice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Black Sheeps in game series

Quote Originally Posted by Spoony Bard
    I vote Phantasy Star 3. I love it, but its nothing like 1,2 and 4.
    That's the one I was gonna mention. Three was apparently done by a different team than the others...the lady who was in charge of the original, two, and four (interestingly enough, just "Phantasy Star: The end of the Millennium" in Japan) wasn't a part of three.

The box art and the ingame pic for Rhys, the look of the battle system, and the character sprites...all quite a shame, since the artist has some really nice stuff (in the manual, and in other places) for the game. :(

I'm starting to see that I was wrong, wrong, WRONG about calling this game "crap," just from listening to the *.gym files. Overall, this is the weakest PS title as far as music goes, but there are some tracks in there that I like better than those from most any other PS game (though I haven't tried Card Battle, yet...)

Certainly worth a look if you're into oldschool RPGs; it's just a shame that the game is so ugly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

1. Any PSX series that suddenly started having the numbers "989" on it (Why are they called 989? They'll never "bat a thousand!" yuk yuk yuk).

2. Street Fighter: The Movie HOME Version. They take away the most original SF arcade game in years and give me SSF2T Julia edition

3. The PSX Contras, already mentioned...

4. R: Racing Evolution. It's....it's...Nam' Turismo

5. N64 Castlevanias....WTF?!

6. Final Fantays 8, 10, 10-2, 11 and then 12 seeing how it's 10-3.

7. Samurai Shodown III: Blades of Blood

8. Dragon's Lair Laseractive
    (Sorry, it doesn't exist. It just always drove me bonkers how the very Game/series that MADE Laserdisc gaming technology never appeared on the friggin Laserdisc video game system!)

Man...there are way too many to mention...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nekketsu Downtown Monogatari Baseball. It didn't seem to fit at all with the previous Kunio titles. It is fun though.
    Have a shitty famiclone or pirate famicom cartridge you wanna sell? Send me a PM! Word...

Honorary disciple in the House of Meat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

Quote Originally Posted by Sotenga
    Oh, and while most Batman games rule, the Genesis version of Batman: Return (or Revenge) of the Joker SUCKED. Ironically, for a system with more power, the graphics and sound were inferior to the NES version. But the gameplay... oy. It's almost like Ocean developed that game, and not Sunsoft. BURN!
    Ever see the credits? I think there's only four people, for everything.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked Mario 2. I always liked Mario 2. But yeah, I can agree. It was too different. But now after almost 15 years, it's become part of the Mario universe. So you can't blame it any longer.
    I loved Mario 2 since the first time I played it. I remember when I was a kid, waiting for Mario 2 to come out........and I thought it was awesome right from the beginning. I totally agree with with everything you said, but I'm not blaming it for anything; I'm just saying it was a departure for the series, and that a lot of the subsequent sequels stayed truer to the original Super Mario Bros. It's unique compared to the other Marios, but it is a tremendous game and a great addition to the series. I'd even venture to say it's my second favorite Mario game (right after the original Super Mario Bros.).

I can't believe I forgot about Contra Force........that's definitely a black sheep, it's a fun game but nowhere near as good as the first two Contras.
    "Everything that you've ever done, are doing now, or will ever do is a complete waste of time unless it directly involves Randy 'Macho Man' Savage." - random Amazon.com review

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Wow, there's a lot of games being mentioned I love. But just because it's a 'black sheep' means you hate it, right?

I'm going to go with the Mega Man GameBoy games. They always seemed like wattered down and very poor versions of the NES Mega Man games, carbon copied with all the good stuff taken out.

And what about Metal Gear Solid for the Game Boy Color? I LOVE that game, and consider it one of the best handheled games EVER made, but I've never known anyone else who has played it.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy
    6. Final Fantays 8, 10, 10-2, 11 and then 12 seeing how it's 10-3.
    That's more like writing off the whole series than having a black sheep.