Thread: New Game of the Week club. This week's game: Ninja Gaiden

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New Game of the Week club. This week's game: Ninja Gaiden

I had a GREAT idea this weekend. Why not start a game of the week club? This is going to be kind of like the MAME club or like a book club.

The idea is that each monday a new game is choosen (either by myself or others, to be decided). For the next week all those who wish to participate will play the game whenever they find the time. If the game chosen is a long one (an RPG, or a really hard game), the week can be extended to two or four. There is no need to sign up for this club, just post whatever you have to say about the given week's game.

The goal is to beat the game/get the highest score/get re-aquainted with the game.

Then throughout the week the club participants will post about the game in general, hard parts, easy parts, hints, tips, etc. The participants should feel free to play the game on any platform including emulators. For myself this will also be a good way to get around to buying those clasic games that I do not own/have never played before.

I think that the game of the week choices should be not-so-hard to find games for not-so-hard to find systems, so that as many people as possible can participate.

Also, I think that the game choices should be limited to pre-ps2 platforms as most of us can not afford to go out and buy a ps2, xbox, or gamecube game each week.

Also, I think this is a great excuse to build up the extremely weak (no offence) high scores part of DP. There are very few games even listed here, let alone good high scores. (This section seems to be down right now)

For the first week I have chosen a somewhat common, rather difficult (in my opinion) game that I have never gotten around to beating: Ninja Gaiden. So, lets get started having more fun with our collections.

But first, a few rules about posting:

1. Spoilers: If someone has never played the game of the week, the last thing that they want to do is accidentially find out who the final boss is, or when the scary guy jumps out from behind the wall. It is ok to post spoilers but please mark your post either at the beginning of a post or at the beginning and end of the section of the post containing the spoilers.

2. Hints: same rules as the spoilers but for hints. Some people will want to beat the game on their own, without help. They should be able to avoid hints in the same way that spoilers are avoided.

3. Bragging/Insluting: I will be the first to admit that a certian amount of trash talking can make ANYTHING more interesting, but excessive amounts dont do anybody any good. Let us try to keep this to reasonable levels. Also, just becasue you are better at a game that someone else does not mean that you should insult them. I, for one, will have a ton of problems with a ton of games. I will be asking for a lot of help. Let us please keep this a HAPPY club, without bickering and insults.

4. Cheating/Lying: Cheating is acceptable as long as it is in the spirit of fun. If you want you should feel free to use a cheat code/game genie/secret passage, but if you do so, please do not post that you rule because you beat the game before anyone else/finished with the highest score/never died. If you did use some form of cheat, please identify that you did so, so that the rest of us will know. Also, please identify a cheat code/secret passage post as you would a hint or spoiler (see rules 1 and 2). As far a lying goes, that just plain sucks. Dont brag that you got an absurd amount of points, when in-fact you are just lying to look cool. This will just make the rest of us feel like we suck for no reason.

5. HAVE FUN!!!!!

For this first week, there will ovbously be a lot of extra posts about getting everything straightened out, but after that it should be smooth sailing.

Any suggestions? Disagreements with what I had to say? Post 'em! This is not my club it is our club. Majority rules.

Thanks,
    -james

PS: If this is an old idea, sorry to have waised your time. I spent a good amount of time searching for a similar post but could not find one. Also, I am still kind of newby here (not even a cherry yet), so I hope that I am not stepping on any toes. If I am, please let me know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I went home last night and played for a bit. I didnt get very far. I forgot how much fun this game is. I spent most of the time getting re-aquainted with the wall sticking/jumping/manuevering and the weapons. Man I love this game!

I hope that I am not the only one playing. Anybody else?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The background scrolling in this game is HORRID.[/pcengine]

(Alternate)

You can destroy almost anything in this game, but the beat-em-up gameplay is repetitive and it doesn't control very well[/arcade]

It might help to specify which platform we're talking about

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am playing on the NES. However, as I mentioned in the first post, playing on any platform is acceptable so as many as possible can play.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Default Re: New Game of the Week club. This week's game: Ninja Gaid

Quote Originally Posted by jgenotte
    I had a GREAT idea this weekend. Why not start a game of the week club? This is going to be kind of like the MAME club or like a book club.
    You do realize that there is a NES Club in the works, right? You might want to look a few pages deep into the Video Game Forum for the thread about it, since it's probably fallen to the 4th or 5th page by now. I'm not sure why it hasn't actually started up yet though. Starting a third club seems a little excessive to me, especially when digitalpress himself posts a Random Game O' The Day every once in a while already.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You do realize that there is a NES Club in the works, right? You might want to look a few pages deep into the Video Game Forum for the thread about it, since it's probably fallen to the 4th or 5th page by now. I'm not sure why it hasn't actually started up yet though. Starting a third club seems a little excessive to me, especially when digitalpress himself posts a Random Game O' The Day every once in a while already.

--Zero
    that is a good point, and the lack of interest seems to be apparent. well it was worth the effort anyway.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: New Game of the Week club. This week's game: Ninja Gaid

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro
    Quote Originally Posted by jgenotte

--Zero
    DP was really busy for awhile so it took him some time to review my proposal and approve it. I'll post the approved proposal later today.

D
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.