Thread: The Power Stone series (DC)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Power Stone series (DC)

Does anyone here like these games? I've seen screens of these games online and they look like pretty interesting brawlers. Are they any fun? Are the two radically different enough to advise the purchase of one over the other?
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Yes, they are very fun, and very different. Whereas the first one is more of a 1 on 1 fighter, the secodn one is more of a smash bros party fighter. If you've got friends, go with 2-alot more items to unlock, and alot more fun. If you can't find 4 people, just go with the first game.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

This is literally the first game I ever saw running on the DC. Looked just incredible, but I hated it. But that's only because I was still in a staunch anti-new system mindset (academiae priscum, right?). Anyway, I've got a DC now and I love it. I picked up Power Stone recently thanks to the Gamestop DC liquidation but I haven't yet tried it. So maybe I'll just come back and post in this thread when I've actually got something substantial to say about the game...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Both are excellent and innovative games, but I'm more partial to PS2. The best thing about it is the huge load of items... so many weapons available at your disposal. Note the Mega Man cameo with the "Powerful Buster"...

Now that I've become more of a fighting game expert, I look back at it, and I realize that the core fighting engine of the game is very basic. It's no Tekken or Soul Calibur, that's for sure. Still, I really like Power Stone... and lemme ask a question in PS2. How in the hell do you unlock the Emperor's Crown? Anyone got that? It's the ONLY single item in the PS2 shop that I do not yet possess.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I first got power stone I really liked the game, it had high replay value as well as a very stylish way of play, sort of like the next-gen smash bros game. Power stone 2 IMO is better in every way. A ton of unique characters, fun story mode, tons of weapons, great interactive levels, hell 4 players was a blast!
    Its one of my favorite fighting games of all time and is also good enough to make me top 20 games of all time. I highly reccomend power stone if you do not prefer smash bros type games (4 player melee) and I highly reccomend power stone 1 if your a casual or hardcore 1v1 fighter fan.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played it on the DC and actually was real good. I wasn't even going to give it the time of day, but at the rental store nothing else good was left so had to get something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

As far as quality goes, I much prefer the first to the second. They weren't getting too crazy with the characters, the control seemed tighter and it was just a better game in my opinion. The second game was a necessary evil for the multiplayer and co-op, which the first games lacked outside of a one-on-one. Both are good games, although don't go in expecting a traditional fighter, as the PS series is as arcade as they come....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ah the memories!

when i preordered my dreamcast the only game i peordered with it was power stone.such sweet memories of 9-9-99 with that game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Sotenga
    Both are excellent and innovative games, but I'm more partial to PS2. The best thing about it is the huge load of items... so many weapons available at your disposal. Note the Mega Man cameo with the "Powerful Buster"...

Now that I've become more of a fighting game expert, I look back at it, and I realize that the core fighting engine of the game is very basic. It's no Tekken or Soul Calibur, that's for sure. Still, I really like Power Stone... and lemme ask a question in PS2. How in the hell do you unlock the Emperor's Crown? Anyone got that? It's the ONLY single item in the PS2 shop that I do not yet possess.
    Somehow, when "depth" comes to mind, Soul Calibur 2 doesn't. Maybe Tekken Tag, but SC2, no way in hell.

As far as I can tell, the emperor's crown pops up in the shop once you've unlocked a crapload of items and outfits.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally favor PS1 over 2 for a number of reasons, which I won't really get into unless asked. But trust me, it's the better game, coming from someone who owns them both.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unless you have 4 people wanting to play simultaneously and have large TV screen, go with PS1, you don't get confused with larger characters and only one opponent. PS2 just oconfuses the hell out of me, I'm not saying it's a bad game, I played it and it's awesome.

One gripe I have over both games is the level of difficulty, even level 1, easiest is quite difficult to beat and you get unfair advantage when you get all 3 stones, looks like there's no way out once your enemy gets all 3 stones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    Somehow, when "depth" comes to mind, Soul Calibur 2 doesn't. Maybe Tekken Tag, but SC2, no way in hell.
    Say that when you got a raging 9 year old pounding buttons and on you like white on rice. You will quickly learn the success of blocking, guard impacts, and side stepping. A seasoned vet can whoop up on some rookie ass.

Btw, I loved Power Stone 1 and 2. Like said before the first game is more solid and has more strategy while the second is just pretty much all out carnage. Both games are worth owning, imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Quote Originally Posted by Sotenga

As far as I can tell, the emperor's crown pops up in the shop once you've unlocked a crapload of items and outfits.
    Perhaps, but SC2 is still more advanced than PS2's fighting engine. I'm not that adept at fighting games, but I have steadily improved at them, and I can't really be called a scrub. I will mess you up as Akuma, any time, any day of the week. But that's another series of fighters.

That theory sounds plausible, but the only problem is that I have every item and outfit EXCEPT for the Emperor's Crown. Also, I have over 20,000,000g... dang.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Power Stone was the first game I owned on DC and I loved it! I like 1 and 2 equally the same.....everyone has pretty much said it, PS1 has a much better single player, 1vs1 game, 2 is more partier, much more characters, weapons, levels, the whole 9 yards...get both of them, although you can pick 1 up for maybe 15 bucks , 2 will run you near 40-50. But you won't be dissapointed!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd
    Say that when you got a raging 9 year old pounding buttons and on you like white on rice. You will quickly learn the success of blocking, guard impacts, and side stepping. A seasoned vet can whoop up on some rookie ass.

Btw, I loved Power Stone 1 and 2. Like said before the first game is more solid and has more strategy while the second is just pretty much all out carnage. Both games are worth owning, imo.
    All I can say is what goes on in competition play, and it's very much a defensive game that relies on sidestepping moves and punishing opponents for their offense. It's certainly easy to get into, but then, so is Smash Bros Melee, and even that game has more depth (God knows how that one got managed).

But yeah, although the powerstone games have almost zero depth, they're alot of fun. My friends and I spent 3 hours straight playing power stone 2 almost every friday night when the game came out, followed by a short break, and another 3 hours. The game is ADDICTIVE. Especially once you get into unlocking items. The 100 ton hammer is sweet as hell. I'm only missing 1 item at this point, the angel wings, because pride won't give me the goddamn angel card
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vincewy
    Unless you have 4 people wanting to play simultaneously and have large TV screen, go with PS1, you don't get confused with larger characters and only one opponent. PS2 just oconfuses the hell out of me, I'm not saying it's a bad game, I played it and it's awesome.

One gripe I have over both games is the level of difficulty, even level 1, easiest is quite difficult to beat and you get unfair advantage when you get all 3 stones, looks like there's no way out once your enemy gets all 3 stones.
    Not true. An experienced player can still defeat an opponent who has all thre stones, although it is difficult. It's worth noting also, that the three stone power-up only lasts for a short time, and then they lose them all. So, even if you can avoid them while they have the stones, you'll be fine. I mean, really, that's like saying there's no hope of defeating someone who has a full super guage in one of the 2-D capcom fighters.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Ayane in 2, once she gets the stones, you are boned. Do the shuriken super twice, then run around while everyone is being juggled, get all the stones again, repeat. Absolute madness. Gourmand is pretty damn harsh too...shoot the barrels for a while, then give em the stew.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thans for all of the input, everyone!

I'm gonna track down copies of both games and report back
    http://www.2d-x.com