Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody here not big fans of Turn Based RPG's?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anybody here not big fans of Turn Based RPG's?

For whatever reason, I've just never been a fan of Turn Based role playing games. Games like the Final Fantasy series. I just abosolutely hate it, that when you encounter a monster you switch to this battle screen, where you aren't actually in control during the battle.

I just can't get into that.

Am I on a island by myself here? Or does anybody else dislike these types of RPG's. I have no problem with the action oriented Zelda type RPG's. The ones where you can swing your sword at the monster yourself, in real time, and then can damage you in real time, and there isn't any pausing or going to a special battle screen or whatever.

Yes, I know that action/RPG's aren't really the "TRUE" type of role playing games, but still, that's the type that I like.

Just curious if anybody else shares my same feelings regarding Turn Based RPG's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're not alone! I can't stand them either. I always thought they were so slow moving, and annoyed that I had to sit there and wait to see if something was going to hit me or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like mostly all kinds of RPGs and while I do find Turn Based games to be obviously slower, I think they have their advantages. I think Turned Based RPGs have a bit more strategy to them then Action ones. Having to think about your moves instead of just running around hitting things. Also for some reason I find that most Turned Based RPGs have better stories than Action ones, though there have been plenty of good stories in both types.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am not a fan of RPGs either. I enjoy arcade style games. I grew up in arcades and the style still is exciting when done right. The only thing I dislike more then RPGs are simulation titles. I am so bored with Gran Turismo and the like. Just my opinion, don't jump all over me RPG and Sim fans! Ha ha!

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I DESPISE real-time RPGs and love the turn based ones. I grew up playing em tho.....
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a hard time getting into them. In fact, the only one I've played to the end in my entire life is Buck Rogers for the Genny. I'm not big on fantasy in the first place, so the sci fi aspect of Buck Rogers made the turn based more palatable for me.

I did enjoy it.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I'd suspect you are in the majority actually. Not that many people really enjoy turned based games anymore, even the ones that did play them while growing up.

I personally still love them, and I'm plowing throught he original Final Fantasy right now

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

like masterbation without the payoff if u ask me
    Wolverine

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by aaron_157
    like masterbation without the payoff if u ask me
    Remind me to never ask you ever again.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Turned based RPGs do nothing for me. Sure, there was the occasional one that I liked (namely Phantasy Star 1, 2 and 4), but I've never been a fan of the genre. Action RPGs I like a bit better.

Other genres I'm not fond of: RTS (hell, strategy in general), FPS, simulation and sports.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Odd, as action RPGs are the bane of my existence. Anything requiring twitch reflexes other than 2D fighters, I fail miserably at. See: RTS, FPS.

*goes off to play Chrono Trigger*

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I HATE turn based RPG'S!!!!!
    But I really have never given them a chance. I personally, don't count Zelda type RPG'S even close to the same category. (What, I take that back, I like Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Mario + Luigi).
    But other than those 3, I HATE THEM. It's like taking away the fun of actually getting to do the things.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I dislike Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, and many of the other Japanese RPG franchises... but it's not because they're turn based. Having turn based combat is just one of many attributes of the game in my opinion, and there are a both good and bad games that use it.

After all, although I've not always been a fan of turn based combat, I have to admit that most of my favorite RPG's have been turn based: Ultima 4, Wasteland, and all the C64 AD&D games. I also like the Zelda series, Dungeon Master, and Record of Lodoss War, which were all real-time.

--Zero

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am definitely not a fan although I've been trying to give the PS2 games a chance. Many of the new games have more features from other genres (minigames and such) which make them easier to digest. Recently, Breath of Fire V and Dark Cloud 2 have held my interest longer than any others at this point, and I just got BOF II for the GBA the other day because it was cheap, so my perspective might change in a few days. I hate the tedium, the leveling up, and especially the dying and starting over in most cases because I run out of potions before the ends of battles.

Honestly, if they made more RPG games like Harvest Moon, I might be a die-hard RPG fan, but I won't hold my breath...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Eh... RPG's, I can take or leave. I am a Final Fantasy fan, but ever since FFX-2, my loyalty to the series has waned. Oh, and the first Phantasy Star was excellent. Oh, and I love Earthbound. Also, Super Mario RPG is probably my favorite RPG ever. That's pretty much it. Other than that, I don't care much for the genre, turn-based or real-time. I'd rather blow 500 hours on 500 games than the same amount of time on just one or two.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

personally i would have to say i prefer turn based rpg's. i tend to use more strategy in them as opposed to real time fighting where i would try to finish fights as fast as possible with as much brute strength as i can get. kingdom hearts for example i enjoyed very much but i didn't really care for the battle system cause i basically just hit the "attack" button as fast as i could whenever fighting someone. star ocean however is one of my favorite rpgs and i loved the real time battle in that one. so i guess it all depends on how it's done.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have despised turn based RPGs ever since I was little. I remember when I first played m"7th Saga" for the SNES. THat game single handedly ruined the entire genre for me. I just cant see the point at having to sit there and take an attack, with no real way to denfend or doge it. Also, Powering up is a major pain and can often get extremely repetitive. But my major complaint of turn based RPGs is RANDOM BATTLES!!!
    Random battles are so friggin annoying. You will just be walking along, and out of nowhere you here that stupid music; "Dun na na na....". Now you are stuck fighting whatever for the 100th time, and as soon as you exit the battle and walk 2 feet, you hear the same freaking sound. It is enough to drive you crazy. I find turn based RPGs that dont have random battles, (such as Earthbound), are much more palletable, but I probably still wouldn't play one.
    -crispy
    No, I'm Mr. Big Lucky Flavor!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

It depends entirely on what sort of strategy or action is going on during those turns. Most console RPGs seem to have a fairly simplistic battle scheme where you can easily get stuck into a rut of "attack, attack, attack, defend, heal, magic, blah blah blah."

Anachronox added a bit more strategy to it in having a field where you could move guys around. Other than that, most of the games are fairly simplistic and I'd have to say that although I play some of them I'm not a huge fan.

Now, there are other turn-based strategy games like Heroes of Might & Magic, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, or Master of Orion 2 which are an entirely different animal. I like those a lot as there's quite a bit to do each round in terms of both short- and long-term game action...
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only RPG worth playing is still good old pen and paper Dungeons and Dragons, IMHO.

I too grew up on arcade-style games. I'm actually quite sick at the way games take forever to play now, especially ones that require you to "unlock" every cool feature under the sun. Then again, they are mostly supposed to give you extra incentive to play. Think about that: why would a game developer HAVE to give you extra incentive to play? Shouldn't the game be good enough? Do I NEED extra incentive to play Joust? Nope.

Strawberry (Level 2) LazingBlazers's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PartsJohn

Here's a thought:

Aren't Action/RPGs really what used to be known as an Adventure game?

That's how I STILL think of it, anyway. Zelda is not a fucking RPG, it's an Adventure Game.

But to contribute to the topic... Turn Based RPGs are some of my least favorite games, games that I never seek out to play, but on the chance occurance that I do find one I like... I cannot put it down.