Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Top 25 Greatest Moments in Video Game History (Game Informer

[this was actually submitted to me by a friend]

Latest issue of Game Informer just arrived, and they have a listing of the top 25 greatest moments in video game history.

Topic of discussion on your posting board:

Why are the top 25 greatest moments in video game history limited to the NES and later? Are the 15+ years prior to that unimportant? Is the discovery of the hidden initials in Adventure, the bat stealing your keys for the first time, finding the hidden room with the bridge, any of these not memorable? How about finishing Pitfall before time runs out? Wasn't that memorable? Or what about popping in Pac Man for the 2600 for the first time, and either experiencing the joy of owning the world's most popular arcade game OR experiencing the biggest let down ever, worthy of mention?

Ok, group, discuss.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default confused

Hmmm....I'm a little confused by this. I didn't get that issue yet so it would help if I had the article. Did they intentionally leave out pre-NES? Or did it just so happen that all 25 happened since the introduction of the NES? In that case, I would go a little farther than you (or your friend) did, and ask what about Computer Space? Pong? Space Invaders?

No Space Invaders or Pac Man on that list is just absolutely crazy, unless it's a 1990 + later list or something like that.

However, there's a difference between "history" and "memorable". Why would finding the bridge in Adventure be historic. I guess I just don't get it. I'll be looking out for that article though.

the kid

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just read the list this evening myself, and thought it was pretty poor. With a handful of exceptions, the choices weren't very special in my book, and certainly catered to a modern game loving audience. There were a few games in there so new that I didn't even recognize them. I fail to see how something that's been around for a year or less can even be considered for this.

They do toss in a disclaimer at the beginning saying how much this kind of thing can vary from person to person. But really, while I've never actually played Metal Gear Solid, as innovative as that boss battle sounds, I can still pick several things from their own top 25 that surpass it. *Shrug* Must be why they write for the magazine and I don't.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default more confused

Consider me now more confused. Ninja, are you talking about the article in EGM (the 20 Greatest Moments in Console Gaming). The one that just unceremoniously appears in the middle of the Halo 2 issue?

If that's the list you (and DP) are talking about, that's just complete nonsense. Just EGM looking for a way to fill pages. How about that stupid quote from the guy from Bungie about Half-Life? Or that dumb Tetris statue? That article is EGM at its absolute worst.

the kid

...in which case, it would be completely understandable why it got confused with GI.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kid ICe...that's what I thought too. That EGM article was absolutely terrible. EGM has absolutely excellent, spot-on reviews, but not much more, I'm afraid. NextGeneration was so, so much better than anything out now - it's a shame they're gone (although, bizarrely, they had terrible reviews)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, no no. The brand new Game Informer has a Top 25 list in it - that's what we're talking about. Right..? ; )
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sadly dont get game informer. it would be cool if somebody posted GI's top 25 moments.
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Ok, now I can't wait to get this issue. (At least I think I will get it, the subscription runs out soon.) If it's anything like they're top 100 games of all time issue, it's gonna be worth a laugh. Normally I like this mag but I found it a wee bit suspicious that nearly every game on their top 100 list was NES or newer and conviently avaliable for purchase at Funco. Hell, even the toiken pre-NES games (which I think was just Galaga and Ms. Pac-Man) were both avaliable for NES and newer systems.

It's sad that a magazine that consistently runs articles on retrogaming would fail to recognize that games did exist before 1985.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

As ClubNinja stated, this magazine caters to the young "new" generation crowd. The early 80's babies probably never got a chance or don't remember playing (or seeing) anything that was before the NES. You figure Game Informer is targeted towards the 13 to early twenties range (I'm guessing, I haven't picked up a GI mag in quite a while). So someone who is 22 was born in 1980 and probably got a NES as they were "old enough to play one" around 1986 or '87.

Oh well. We just have to shrug off those publications and revel in the fact that WE know history and preserve it ourselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my issue in the mail yesterday, I didn't get to that yet but I'm sure I'll disagree with most of the 25.. (although i did see Sonic in the list from a quick glance.)
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

So who wants to start a thread for OUR Top 25? One which includes events from way way way before 1985 when I was just a young adult :/

???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just received that issue of Game MisInformer. GI is not a mag that I enjoy, and this article just adds credence to that opinion. GI skews to the younger crowd, that's okay but it doesn't appeal as much to me. Gone are the days of rereading curent issues of Game Players and Gamefan for an entire month. I also notice that I don't agree with ANY of their review scores & text. They also incorrectly claim that "Sonic CD" is in the new Gamecube Sonic Collection -- it isn't.

Getting back to the top 25 list ... we all disagree with review opinions and other folks' top 10 lists, but even if so, it can be a good read if the mag explains *why* they think that way. I think GI did a decent entertaining job at that.

Their #1 was PSycho Mantis in the PSX game Metal Gear Solid. I didn't even finish MGS, though I thought it was good stuff, but I still enjoyed reading their reasons for the honor. I was glad that Sonic The Hedgehog was in there. It was cool to see the SNES RPG game with the Auria / Opera song sequence shown, I'd heard of it but never seen it. I can't recall much more from the article right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Leaving out the pre-NES years seems to happen rather often. It's as if that generation simply never existed..."Nameless" Generation, indeed.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sadly dont get game informer. it would be cool if somebody posted GI's top 25 moments.
    What the f*ck was I smoking? I get game informer. I just got the magazine in the mail today. I thought that article was pretty cool.
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    So who wants to start a thread for OUR Top 25? One which includes events from way way way before 1985 when I was just a young adult :/

???
    I DO!Come on! :P