Thread: NES - Was this a good buy??

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES - Was this a good buy??

I was cruisin' eBay the other night and came across an auction for an NES system and some games. Here is what went through my mind: First, the description of this particular auction was "nintendo", that was it. I decided to check it out because it was at $20 with no bids on it. Next, the description of this auction was just as plain as the title, it read "nintendo barly used, over ten games", that was it. The guy even mis-spelled "barely". There was also NO picture of the item(s). So, I decided to email him and ask him what shape the system was in etc. Here is what I sent and he sent back: Me - "Does it work? Does it have all the accessories (Controllers, RF switch, AC adapter, Gun) What games come with it? What condition is everything in?" Him - "yes it works and comes with 15 games two remotes and all other accessorys, mario brothers, duck hunt, basball, basball 2, zelda and a few others". Again, more spelling mistakes and bad grammar. I then sat for about a half hour and thought about the situation. I was thinking that this guy didn't get very many people to view his auction (his counter said only 9) because he didn't have a good auction title and he had a very lousy description of the item along with no pictures. I then looked at his shipping rate and it was only $3! This got me even more interested. Now I was thinking, $23 gets me quite a bit of stuff shipped right to my door. And if it turns out to be junk then I'm only out $23. I thought, why not take advantage of this situation and see how it turns out. This was coincidentally his first selling experience. So I bid on the item with about 5 minute left, waited, no one else bid anything and I won the auction. I then paid him immediately. So was it a mistake bidding on this or would you have done the same thing? By the way, I'm not a Nintendo person, never have been, and have no idea what good prices are for NES stuff. I did do a few quick searches to get a rough estimate and for just an old NES system I was coming back with $35-50, and some of those were with no games included. Sorry for the very long post. Opinions on this situation please.
    Got some complete Genny games you'd like to sell for cheap? PM me plz. Especially looking for Aerobiz: Supersonic, Genghis Kahn 2: Clan of the Gray Wolf, Operation Europe: Path to Victory 1939-45, Time Killers, Gaiares, Herzog Zwei, and Skeleton Krew.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why not post a link so we can see the auction?

D
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uhm, sure, lemme try this. Not much to see in the auction that I haven't already said though. But you'll see that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEBWA:IT
    Got some complete Genny games you'd like to sell for cheap? PM me plz. Especially looking for Aerobiz: Supersonic, Genghis Kahn 2: Clan of the Gray Wolf, Operation Europe: Path to Victory 1939-45, Time Killers, Gaiares, Herzog Zwei, and Skeleton Krew.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

You'll know if it was worth it once you get your package and see if everything is in good working condition.
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by segagenesis1989
    Uhm, sure, lemme try this. Not much to see in the auction that I haven't already said though. But you'll see that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEBWA:IT
    You're certainly right that there isn't much there. Pay via paypal so you'll have some recourse incase the transaction goes bad.

Good luck.

D
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pay via paypal so you'll have some recourse incase the transaction goes bad.
    Yep, I did. Hope this turns out to be one of those rare buys where the seller "didn't exactly know what they were doing". Just hope the items are good. Thanks

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*bump*

Anyone have any comments on that situation?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Quote Originally Posted by segagenesis1989
    *bump*

Anyone have any comments on that situation?
    I know that your new to the boards and i havent been here too long, but you dont need to bump after 7 hours. if someone has a comment they will share it. at least wait a full day before bumping a topic..
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmm... could be one of those people selling their kids' old stuff after they move out to go to college or something. And not everyone on ebay has good spelling. Just my thoughts.

$23 seems like a nice deal, so I hope you get what you bid on. Keep us updated on how this goes.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sounds like you got a decent deal from a clueless seller (notice the controllers described as 'remotes' ) Depending on the other games, it could even be a real bargain.
    I'd guess it's fairly likely to be a 'blinking' console though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you very much for your opinions, I sure hope so also.