Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Your First Game Console

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My first real console was Coleco's Gemini, I still have a single controller and the Y-plug from it. I first bought it back in 1984 or 1985 when Sears was having it on close out. I think I bought that and 2 games Keystone Kapers and Seaquest for under $50. I kept it until it died on me then I went to the 7800.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Morbis
    Nes for me. It seems like a person's first system is invariably their favourite system today. I'd like to know what percentage of DPer's have a favourite system that is NOT the first one they owned, or is one that they discovered recently (ie: didn't play in childhood).
    Well, I grew up with an Odyssey2 (my first console) and an Atari 2600, but neither were my favorite game systems. I'd have to say the NES was the best system I've ever had, but I was still pretty young when I bought it... about 12 or 13, I think.

I was in my twenties when the Saturn and Dreamcast were released, and those are among my favorite consoles.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The first system I owned was a PlayStation (Dual Shock package) manufactured in 1997; I believe I bought that before I bought an N64, though I'm not completely sure. I'm quite sure the reciepts have been tossed since then, unfortunately. Great system, great controllers :D Too bad I haven't played more than two dozen titles for it :P

needs food badly. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Schlimtor
    PSN
    Schlimtor

My first console was the Intellivision. My dad purchased one in 1982 when I was 3 years old. Never forget how excited he was to play Donkey Kong at home (even tho it was a HORRIBLE port)... and playing Astrosmash and Triple Action till the cows came home. Fun times...
    I never understood tho, how I was the only one at my school who owned an Intellivision. All my friends owned 2600's. I used to play them at their homes and wonder why their games sucked compared to mine.

Because of the Intellivision's superiority, I could never get into the 2600. Just now bought one for the first time ever a few months ago. It has its gems, but I'll always cherish the Intellivision. It was the best of the early 80's.

However, my favorite system of all time is the SNES... but that's another story.
    "Red Warrior needs food badly."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default RCA

Hate to admit this, but my first console game system was the RCA Studio II. THought it was so cool back them (when I was too young to know better). Now, I realize the piece of junk that it is. Yes, a piece of history, but still junk - yuck!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I seek strength, not to be greater than by brother, but to fight my greatest enemy - myself!"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Ozyr's Odyssey2 Archive!

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

@The Unknown Gamer: did you use to pinch your palms all the time with the Gemini's joystick button? I know I used to (the Gemini button has a bit of a space between it and the joystick)...

I know I was shocked when I got the 2600 Jr. 2 years ago and found out that the joystick ports are in the back (I was used to the Gemini, which had its controller ports in front, where it belongs).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

My first console was the atari 7800. My aunt worked for Parker Bros, so I got a ton of games. I remember playing all my games on a 13inch black and white tv. I was blinging back then.

Pac-Man (Level 10) atomicthumbs's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never owned a system of my own until 1997, when I was 19 and bought a Sony Playstation. The first game I got for it was Tomb Raider (before the hype). I love that system!

I've been playing video games all my life though. My folks had an Atari 2600 and my best friend had a ColecoVision in the early 80's when I was growing up. In 1985, my older brother (by, like, 18 months) got an NES for Christmas (as did most of you).

When I hit Junior High, my best friend got a Super Nintendo. Then in our Junior Year of High School in 1995, he got a Playstation! My other best friend shortly before that got a 3DO... And he always had anything Sega!

I have a long and illustrious past of mooching off of my friends!

"Gamera is really neat --- He is filled with turtle meat --- We all love you Ga-me-ra!"
    - MST3K

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Our first machine was a Pong, I think probably from Sears. We had that at our old house, and I remember we had it for Thanksgiving because everyone made a big deal about wanting to play it instead of watching the parade, and we moved the following summer, so that would make it ... November of 1977? I think that's right, correct me if I'm wrong.

We moved in the summer of 1978 to the house I grew up in. We bought an Odyssey II and then shortly afterwards got an Atari 2600, because of the amount of games that were coming out for it as compared to the Odyssey II.

Our first computer was the TRS-80 Model III, which we pre-ordered through Radio Shack. We got called when the first one arrived in Yukon, OK, and when we went to pick it up the sales people wanted us to open the box there so they could see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    gruffbear
    PSN
    gruffbear
    Steam
    gruffbear

My dad bought a 2600 for his uncle back when they first arrived in stores (1976). A heavy-sixer with the 01 Combat. His uncle was very high-tech back then (he had a front-projection TV at the time). He let us use it for a weekend, then we had to give it up. My dad bought us one two weeks later because we all missed it too much. Within a month we had every game that was available because my dad worked for Globe (pre Wal-Mart discount store) and got the stuff at a discount.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My first console was the SNES, and i loved it! Thank you Nintendo for all those great memories! Keep em' comin!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My first console was an Atari 2600 in about 1985. The first games I ever remember playing were Spider-man, Riddle of the Sphinx, Joust, Frogger, Adventure, Flash Gordon, and Krull.
    View My Current Game Collection!! My Complete Collection Page!!

Seeking These NES Games!! Willing To Trade or Sell Some To Me? NES Games I Don't Have!!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922
    My first home console system was the venerable Atari 2600 I remember me and a friend playing asteroids for hours I also thought the Rally racing game with the "paddle" was a great game, still do infact.
    I am pretty sure you are talking about Indy 500. They weren't paddles, they were Driving controllers. They cam packaged with the game. Its wierd.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nes for me. It seems like a person's first system is invariably their favourite system today. I'd like to know what percentage of DPer's have a favourite system that is NOT the first one they owned, or is one that they discovered recently (ie: didn't play in childhood).
    My first system played was the Vectrex. My first owned was a Sega Master System. I don't think I have a favorite system, but if anything, I suppose I'd say my Saturn was my favorite system. Dragon Force, Panzer Dragoon 1,2, and Saga, the Capcom CPS2 games, Sega Rally, Radiant Silvergun, NiGHTS and Virtua Fighter 2. There was just something about the atmosphere in Saturn games. I had a PS1 and N64 at the same time and enjoyed those consoles too, but my Saturn was always my main system of choice. I loved Dreamcast also but felt it was missing the Saturn magic.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ahh...the NES, back in the early 90's i was about 5 and it was good.
    balloon fighter, super mario bros., duck hunt...sweet
    looking to buy nes games, snes games, any classic systems, willing to trade.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My first system owned was an Atari 2600, however I would say that NES is my favorite system of all time. I got an Atari 2600 in 1985, and an NES in (I believe) 1988 or '89. I always played NES far more than Atari 2600 once I got one.
    View My Current Game Collection!! My Complete Collection Page!!

Seeking These NES Games!! Willing To Trade or Sell Some To Me? NES Games I Don't Have!!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My first system was the Atari 2600--Year was 1980, and I was 6 years of age--yes I am THAT old!!!
    DC--- It's STILL thinking....!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My first was the NES. My parents had it since '88, but I didn't start playing it until around '91, when I was 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mine was the Atari 2600, but the one that I go back to now was the NES. I have way fonder memories of it for some reason, though it was my second system.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mine was the N64. I got it fairly soon after launch. Such fond memories of playing incredible games by the likes of Rare and 1st-party Nintendo. I'm just about to settle in and start Banjo Tooie this Sunday.

Man, I love that system.