Thread: Potpouri

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Potpouri

The Restoration Society happens to be my favorite forum, but it's always a little dry on topics, which can be good in a way. But, right now I want to hear from ya, so tell me something (relevant to this forum). Advice would be nice. Why not tell a story? Tell a little about yourself: Which systems have you studied in-depth? What knowledge can you share? What is it that made/forced you to crack open a console for the first time? Talk to me.

Here's something that I'd like to share: I have never soldered. Ever. There, I said it. However, I do own two soldering irons, one of which is very nice. I intend to put both to good use this summer.

So, open up your hearts to the rest of us. C'mon, I just put everything on the table.

======= Edit ========

Damn. It looks like nobody will ever see this. 12 reads must be a record low, and half of 'em were probably from me! Well, time to sweep this under the rug...

sweep sweep sweep

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default a

Ok, oK, I'll bite.

I am currently ttrying to repair a Game and watch. The system has 20 breaks on the board that are very tiny. I tried soldering wires that bypass these breaks onto the system, and had no luck.

Last night I tried using that rear window defogger repair fluid to fix the breaks, and it worked, ony I accidently touched a ribbon cable with the soldring iron and melted 4 lines.

Now I gotta figure a work-around for that.

I also snaped a pin off the processor (UGH!).

That's all I got for restoration stories right now...

Advice: Don't melt shit by accident with a soldering iron!

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Um, I took a Sega Arcade Power Stick and added 2 switches to it.
    Switch 1 toggles between full Genesis compatibility, and full Sega Master System compatibility (works on games like Wonder Boy in Monster Land and Alien Syndrome which don't work right with a Genesis pad normally). and switch 2 (when switch 1 is in SMS mode) toggles button A between acting as a secondary button 2 (usefull for games where you wish the button layout was flipped), and Bank Panic mode. which simply has A act as UP, so Bank Panic is easier to play.

Wait, what was this thread about?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default a

Raccon Lad,

That's a great idea...adding a second II button....would be awesome for Alex Kidd in Miracle World. So What exactly did you have to do to the controleeer to make full SMS compatibility?

THis reminds me of the time I Added a plug to my Power Base Converter and ran a cable to a controller from that plug. The cable connected to the A button on the Genesis pad. The plug I added connectd to the pause button so I could pause without getting up. Also, the rapid turbo function of the controller allowed the A button to act as a slo-mo. I would have never beaten Rambo without it.

The controller died, though, and I could never figure out why...it worked for a long time too.

As for what this thread is about? Umm..potpourri, I guess...so anything Repair-related goes. Like he said, advice, stories, whatever.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Full SMS compatibiltiy was easy, I just tracked down the extra pin the Genesis controller used, and cut it's wire. It was a grey wire on the Arcade Power stick if I remember correctly. I forget what I did to get A to act as 2, but all I did was connect a wire between 2 jumpers in the controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I have several arcade cabinets that have seen their share of abuse. My next big project is going to be returning one or more of them to presentable condition. I assume this is going to include sanding, puttying, painting, and a few other 'ing's.

I learned to solder installing PSX mod chips for friends and family. I could use some technique or maybe even a class. What I do works when it's an easy shot (ie: soldering two wires together, or soldering a wire to a contact that's all alone) but in the middle of a bunch of contacts or to an individual pin leg, I offer no guarantees.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

UPDATE: I doubt anyone cares, but I resolved to post here anyways when things changed. I have good news: I am a soldering machine! Yeah, I know I should have learned this in 10th grade. I'm a little late to the party, but I'm making up for lost time by hacking NES pads into arcade controls.

This is all possible because I discovered that, contrary to what is mentioned in many tutorials, 15 watts is not enough juice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have good news: I am a soldering machine!
    You are??? This is the most bizarre human transformation I have ever heard of. Please give us details......
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok, i'll ask a question:

i want an arcade stick (mainly for dc, but also psx/mame)

that pelican arcade ps stick is only 29.99 at a gamestop of mine...but one of the buttons is stuck (cirlce or something)...how hard would it be to switch out some happ controls into this thing and what would it cost? would it be worth it? i could get a psx->dc adaptor for dreamcast.

this is the joystick (but it is the ps2 one, NOT the universal one in this link)
    http://gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801759

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

whoisKeel, while I haven't seen the inside of one of those, you might not even need a new pushbutton assembly. It sounds like either the plunger or spring is busted. Here is a relevant diagram. However, I don't think you'll be able to find just a replacement plunger/spring. If you're just buying one pushbutton, Bob Roberts probably has better prices when shipping is calculated.

I'm not sure whether or not the Pelican stick would have soldered connections on the microswitches, though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

are there any good tutorials out there? (other than just googling i mean)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Hmmmm... Not for what you have in mind. Really, you probably won't need one. Opening up the controller, you would immediately understand what needs to be done: Disconnect the broken button, twist it out, twist in the new, and connect the new. But, like I said before, I'm not sure what the disconnecting/connecting stage will involve--likely just two clips, but it could be worse.

Go to this page to see what I mean. Scroll down to "Controls Installation." This page can help you decide which button would make the most suitable replacement.