Thread: Ender's Game Movie in the works

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Ender's Game Movie in the works

http://www.frescopictures.com/movies...me_update.html

Note the bit about Video Games near the bottom. Now I hadn't had a game system to call my own for even a year when I read the book, and I remember the "game-like" portions of the book's action as described quite well. Classic old-school, no-gravity arcade stuff, but with strategy. Lots of strategy. This would make a cool game, and I'd be more than happy to get a game based off that.

As can be expected, PA has a (rather timely) response to all of this (which I copped that link above from, as well):

http://penny-arcade.com/view.php3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's a long, long way off, I'm sure. (They've been talking about Indiana Jones IV and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy forever, too.) I doubt any games will be on the current generation of consoles.

The only 3D strategy game that comes to mind is Homeworld. I've heard that turned out pretty well, at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's a thought. A big challenge, even if you're in a relatively small antigrav chamber, is that of getting the people (kids) involved in the wargame simulations to look realistic.

Of course, the actual war taking place in Ender's Game is more along the lines of Homeworld, with markedly different mechanics from the wargames...in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the designer of that game is a big fan of the book, now that I think about it they're very similar. Card used some rather basic terminology, but that helps conceptualize the battles :)

I'm also wondering how they'll deal with the spot where Ender kills that one Spanish guy. :o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There's been nary a word about this one since last year, has there?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)