Thread: Widescreen TV's and Shtmps a marriage made in Heaven?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Widescreen TV's and Shtmps a marriage made in Heaven?

God, you know what really sucks?

Now we have these widescreen TV's, and they would be absolutely perfect for horizontal side scrolling shooters. But of course, 2-D Shooters are basically dead. Yeah, you can play the old 2-D side scrolling shooters on a widescreen TV, but I'm talking about if they actually made a horizontal side scrolling shooter with widescreen TV's in mind.

Like if it was actually programmed in the 16:9 format to take full and total advantage of the 16:9 screen ratio. I can't think of any other genre that would benefit more from a 16:9 Widescreen TV, than a 2-D horizontal side scrolling shooter.

I know that there is new R-Type game for the PS2. Does anybody have this game? Does this game have a 16:9 widescreen mode?

And I'm not talking about some crappy E.A. Sports widescreen mode, that is nothing more than window dressing. I'm talking about a mode where the game "actually" really takes advantage of the 16:9 screen.

That would be sweet if 2-D shooters were still alive and well today, and they were made with 16:9 TV's in mind. It would really be sweet.

It would actually change the way the game was played. You would be able to see that much further ahead, and it would change the way you would attack.

It would have been interesting to see how developers took advantage of the 16:9 ratio in their game design.

Oh, well. I guess one can only dream.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the only game i can think off of the top of my head where you could actually see more of the playfield in 16:9 than in 4:3 mode is tony hawk pro skater 4.
    THUG probably has it also...

yeah, someone needs to start listing the games that truly take advantage of it- it would be interesting

willie

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Put two wide-screen TV's next to each other, and you might be able to do a faithful version of Darius.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I remember the first time I saw the game Wipeout in the movie Hackers. I was all like WHOOOAAA what is that game, I gotta get it! Then I got the game and I was all like WHOA, but not WHOOOAAA, and was like meh.

Anyway yeah, shooters would be bad azz on widescreen, no doubts.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

horizontal shooters yeah
    but vertical ones would suck and I don't think that u want to turn your expensive wide-screen on it's side

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd
    I remember the first time I saw the game Wipeout in the movie Hackers. I was all like WHOOOAAA what is that game, I gotta get it! Then I got the game and I was all like WHOA, but not WHOOOAAA, and was like meh.

Anyway yeah, shooters would be bad azz on widescreen, no doubts.
    nono the game the play angelina jolie in hacker is Road Rage / Speed King game was very similar to wipeout

http://www.system16.com/konami/hrdw_ppc.html look the pic

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah...I agree...on the widescreen....not alot utilize it, but i think if they did it would be kick ass....IF they did have sidescrollers still...but there are other games that could use it...like all of them...i dont think games will start using 16:9 ratio untill the next consoles rip our bank accounts apart along with buying a high def tv to play them on
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default s

Doesn't Ikaruga take advantage of wide screen?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Widescreen TV's and Shtmps a marriage made in Heaven?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    But of course, 2-D Shooters are basically dead.
    Say it ain't so! My fav genre

2D shooters are alive and well, actually. R-Type Final. Gradius-V. Star Soldier (remake on the Gamecube), Cave's Espgaluda on the PS2 (preorders being accepted now). Heck, the Dreamcast has 2 new 2D shooters coming out in the next 40 days (yes, they are Naomi based so there are 3D backgrounds, but that's about it - the gameplay is still solid 2D) Shikigami No Shiro 2 and Psyvariar 2. DDP-DOJ for PS2 is still pretty fresh out of the blocks. Chaos Field has recently been announced and looks cool (and is Naomi based which means... well, you can figure it out!). Border Down on the Dreamcast is scarcely 5 months old. Treasure's Project RS-3 will likely be in the pipeline sooner rather than later. The 2D shooter (shmup) genre is alive and well and still costing those of us who love them a few shiny new pennies (thankfully!).

Having said that, I don't think a widescreen TV is all that useful for shmups. Easily rotatable LCD panels, however (for most of those great vertical shooters that can be played in TATE mode) would be nice if they drop in price!
    DaveB
    llabnip

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

here is a database with all the games that have HDTV ability and it lists whether or not they have widescreen capabilities.

http://144.92.43.200/hdg/
    one time collector of consoles...I've had them all, literally. I'm now selling everything to raise money for Northwest Harvest, a charity that provides food and clothing for families in need in the Northwestern United States.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I play contra and Gradius III and IV -for ps2 in widescreen TV, look nice