View Poll Results: Do you think that there are too many games being made?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

30 81.08%
  • No

6 16.22%
  • Not sure

1 2.70%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think that there are too many games being made?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Do you think that there are too many games being made?

Nowadays there are tons of games being released. They are being made at an unbelievable pace. It would be a good thing but most of them are crappy nickel chasers and with this overpopulation of titles some A+ titles, like Beyond Good and Evil, get unnoticed by most gamers.
    And let's remember that lots of bad games were a big factor in the 84's market crash.

But some people think that more titles means more options to choose and more chances to get some creativity in the industry. Actually that's true too.

What's your opinion?
    ♪ well, you've gotta be crazy, baby to want a guy like me
    yeah, you've gotta be out of your mind
    Crazy! ♪

http://www.panzerdragoon.net/ - Nice place for Dragon Riders!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes I was saying the same thing to a friend of mine It seems like there is an oversaturation of crap out now a days We need some more A+ quality games. It kinda reminds me of the nes days when everyone wanted to get a game out as soon as possible even it it was crap.

Thanks

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Neo-Jorge
    Yes I was saying the same thing to a friend of mine It seems like there is an oversaturation of crap out now a days We need some more A+ quality games. It kinda reminds me of the nes days when everyone wanted to get a game out as soon as possible even it it was crap.
    Consider these statements:

NES had software produced for it through 1993, possibly longer (don't have my DP guide handy) and had a total of 771 games released. That's including non-official releases.

PS2 has been out for 4 years. How many games are out for it? It has to be close to, or even higher than the NES's 8 year life. That only includes official games, as I have yet to see unlicensed games for it.

Xbox has been out for 2 1/2 years nw, and it has at least 350 games available. Half the NES library in a quarter of the time?

Hell, Playstation will be 9 this year, and it's up near 1500.

Yes, there are too many games being released. But it's not fair to compare it to the NES. Things started getting really crazy around the time of the SNES. I mean, they made an SNES game based off of Bebe's Kids, for Chrissakes.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

N/A

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This one's easy:

There is no such thing as "too many games."

Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics
    This one's easy:

but there is such a thing as " 2 Much Crap "

Thanks

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

This one's easy:

Thanks
    Very true. Too much crap can spoil the pot and make it harder for the A+ quality games to shine through.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For Gamecube and X-Box no...for ps2 yes, which is why ps2 has so many shitty ass games
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    This one's easy:

Very true. Too much crap can spoil the pot and make it harder for the A+ quality games to shine through.
    I stand by my original statement. The question wasn't about whether or not there's too much crap, it was whether or not there are too many games. There aren't too many games. There's no such thing as "too many games."

Crappy games have always been around, and we're playing (mostly ) the good ones. The cream will always rise to the top, and the dreck will either go back to the dungeons it sprung from, go unnoticed, or go appreciated in that trashy-B movie kind of way.

If anyone wants to send their crappy games on over, I'll take 'em.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    This one's easy:

I stand by my original statement. The question wasn't about whether or not there's too much crap, it was whether or not there are too many games. There aren't too many games. There's no such thing as "too many games."

Crappy games have always been around, and we're playing (mostly ) the good ones. The cream will always rise to the top, and the dreck will either go back to the dungeons it sprung from, go unnoticed, or go appreciated in that trashy-B movie kind of way.

If anyone wants to send their crappy games on over, I'll take 'em.

Send me your address and Ill mail you my copy of lucky luke for the psx...

Thanks

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    It's not that too many games are being made, but that too many games are released in the fourth quarter (October/November/December). I begrudgingly acknowledge that the videogame industry is Christmas-reliant, but I would love to see publishers at least try to spread out the love across the year.

-- Z.
    Yep. Too many good games get lost in the shuffle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am always thinking about this one!! There is WAYYYYYY to many games being made nowadays. You can thank stupid XBOX and ESPCIALLY PS2 for that! I mean you could have the view, which is definately a good point, that more games means more options to play. But since all the fucking games that PS2 releases, games like Beyond good and Evil, Eternal Darkness, Prince of Persia are selling short about 200-400,000 copies each because there are so many games out there.
    Gamecube is the only one that doesn't put games out like there is no tomorrow. XBOX and PS2 put out good games, Gamecube puts out quality, and GREAT games! Plan and simple, well for my view at least.
    So the good games that are out there aren't getting as much credit as they deserve! Everyone has to admit that. (Well, unless you put out a fucking game that all you do is shoot and kill people)

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I say yes, and there's a perfectly good explanation....first off evry systems is now on a CD/DVD, or whatever disc media format....it's much easier and cheaper to produce these in number. There's one reason...Reason 2 and probably the bigger reason...Game development costs have done nothing but go up. It takes millions and millions of dollars to create most Good or great games. To build the capital for these games, companies put togeather cheap crappy values titles on which almost all the sales go to profit, which can fund the good games. With game development costs increasing, it's perfectly logical to assume that the percentage of very good games would go down, and the number of crap funding titles would go up. This is not a new thing, it's been done since the days of the nes, and I wouldn't doubt farther back then that.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Yeah, there are a lot being made...too much? No, I dont think so. Yeah, theres a LOT of crap being made but as everyone can see it's not selling which is a good sign. As long as people know what to buy and what not to buy there won't be another crash. Look at all the movies being made, most suck, but some are good and it seems through magazines and sites that review them people know what to go see.

Same with games, as long as people know what to buy, there wont be another crash, and I welcome garbage games...cause the more shitty 5.00 bargain bin games I get the more my collection grows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too many games overall? No. Too many crappy games? YES!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Quote Originally Posted by udisi
    To build the capital for these games, companies put togeather cheap crappy values titles on which almost all the sales go to profit, which can fund the good games.
    Or, as is the case with publishers like Acclaim, they just keep churning out cheap crappy titles ad nauseum, seemingly with no aim to produce a good game.

And to answer one of the other posts - sure, WE only play the good ones, but the fact of the matter is that the mindless masses out there are (in general) not buying the good ones, and as quality games get made - and not rewarded for being quality by having lots of people buy it - then developers / publishers start asking the question: "why make quality when the fools will swallow the dreck we shovel around just as well?" The gaming public needs to develop better taste so that quality is rewarded and the games that should be flops will be flops.

I think that game publishers need to start viewing their works more like the book publishing model. With books, it may take a long while and a lot of word-of-mouth to get a really good book into the hands of a lot of people. It could even take years. How else do we explain how Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is still really popular, and Xenogears, and System Shock 2 for PC, and how some things like the Quest for Glory collections for PC go upwards of $100? It takes time for word-of-mouth to filter down to the lowest levels of the gaming public.

Publishers should be watching amazon.com, they should be watching eBay - in short, they should be watching which games are still popular. Atlus must be doing that (or they just have an eye for quality), which might be why they're bringing back River City Ransom. Konami should be reprinting Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow. Nintendo should reprint the original Advance Wars. There are probably a bunch of PS1 games that would still sell if released in a steady trickle. That way publishers with quality games can get more money so that they can make more quality games
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Stupid question. Rephrase it to, "Do you think there are too many bad games being made?" The answer is a resounding "YES".

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We're starting to see some companies go down though to. Acclaim, as mentioned above as one of the offenders, is about to go bankrupt, so I doubt we'll be seeing anymore crappy titles from them.
    Once nintendo's last home console comes out that will be one less console until someone else comes along. Plus, ALL of the games released are being cross platformed, so take about 900 of those games games across three consoles, and since they're all the same game, that really only counts as 300
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    Acclaim, as mentioned above as one of the offenders, is about to go bankrupt, so I doubt we'll be seeing anymore crappy titles from them.
    http://general.gamerfeed.com/gf/news/5505/

Well, it looks like they're not tossing in the towel quite yet.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only reason that there aren't too many crappy games for the GC is there are no 3rd party publishers save for Capcom and to a certain extent EA. Granted I think there are alot of games coming out, but not all are 49.95 games, some are only 19.99 which is fine with me, and soon hit 9.99. I think once a couple of companies have some financial problems they will think twice, hell I think thats why ea gets so many franchises, so they can make up for the bad ones they publish
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618