Thread: Phantom 1 converter for neo geo(help me)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Phantom 1 converter for neo geo(help me)

Has anyone had any experience with this product?

I am thinking about buying one but I have a couple of concerns

1 Is it a plug and play type of thing or does it have
    to be installed by a pro. I have zero skills at dealing
    with electrical items.

2 What does it looked like after it is hooked up?
    I saw picture once of a neo geo that someone had
    worked on and it looked like a science project gone bad.
    Does this look like that or is it something i would be willing
    to have in my living room?
    Better yet, will my wife mind if it is in my living room?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Plug and play but you might have to get fix the pins on your connector to get it to work. With the cart in the converter in the aes it just looks really tall (about a foot).
    Sorry Ryan, but your girlfriend is in another school.

Video games & manga (my manga scanlation group that scanlates video game manga) http://www.north101.net/Chara/vgm/index.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's HUGE and ugly, but it requires no mod to your system. However, it is not entirely compatible with all Neo Geo MVS carts.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Do you know which games are not compatable?

It sounds like I can plug it in when I play and store
    it in the closet when I am not using it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, no MVS Metal Slug V on the phantom-1.

I'm getting mine this week. As far as I can figure, if you want to play on your AES, and don't want to dish out the mega coin for many titles, the Phantom is the way to go.

Game compatibility with the Phantom and your AES seems to vary depending on when your AES was manufactured. The higher a serial number, the more likely you will have various compatibility issues it seems. My AES is a very low serial (~20000), so it seems I should only have problems with the newest MVS issues (like Metal Slug V).

If a person doesn't like the 'contraption effect' of a Phantom on an AES, you need to go the supergun route (which is another contraption anyway- often a great contraption, but a contraption nonetheless) or just get a cab.

I'm a 'console' collector and player, so it's the AES for me....
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's ugly and fragile. It is compatible with most Neo homecarts, but is incompatible with some of the newest games.

The Phantom-1 also has compatibility problems with some Home Systems. It does have problems with early model home systems that use the 5V 3A power supply, the power supply simply doesn't have the juice to power up the phantom and the cartridge its holding. This isn't a sure thing everytime, but you do run the risk of burning out the psu or it just might not power up everything at all. I heard a story that a guy with this low voltage psu put hi P-1 in, and the picture was very dim, it was barely showing, his NEO psu couldn't handle all of it. So if you get one of these I would recommend you first have a home system that uses the 9V 1.5A psu.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's news to me GunstarHero. I'll report back when mine comes. I have the 5V.

I read everything I could find at the neo-geo.com forums, and missed that. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    That's news to me GunstarHero. I'll report back when mine comes. I have the 5V.

I read everything I could find at the neo-geo.com forums, and missed that. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

My seriel number in under 19,000 and it is a 5v

When you get yours could you let me know how it works out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I brought this up because video game depot is
    now selling new updated versions of the phantom 1

They say it works much better than the other versions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sure can. I'll post here. I've got an MVS copy of Metal Slug all ready to go (thanks NexWave!).

With what GunstarHero said, my mind is chewing on the issue. I 'am' a technical guy, and am wondering about way around that. If it truly was a power issue, I could look into an alternate PSU. I'd go with the same V and polarity, but increased amps. The unit only 'draws' amps, so it should not damage the unit by having more amps available to draw from if it needs it.

Guess I should make sure this works before I do the LED mod, in addition to the BIOS and A/V. My Debug BIOS is coming with KOF 2002... this week as well.

The Neo-Geo, it's like heroin, but not as cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Searching the Neo forums I came up with this quote from the Phantom maker !Arcade! posted in 2001, no doubt prior to the Metal Slug V release.

The Phantom1 has no compatability issues with any existing Neo system currently in operation.

The false rumors about system damage caused by our unit are just that, false rumors. Considering the source, as we stated previously "Time to start updating those resumes-ladies".

The serial number issue is a non-starter, connectivity issues arise based on the condition and age of the system alone. Nothing more, nothing less.

We stand behind each and every product me sell, if a problem arises we correct it-Swiftly.

A large number of members of these forums who we have had the pleasure to deal with on various matters can certainly attest to the above statement.

We plan to be involved within the "Neo Community" for the long haul and have some very interesting products coming to market shortly.

We would like to thank those of you who know and have done business with us for your trust
    as well as your help. For those of you yet to do business with us, our promise to you is simple-"We stand behind each product we sell".
    From !Arcade! themselves.

more posted Phantom opinion:
    http://www.neo-geo.com/reviews/NeoGlossary/phantom1.htm

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, like I said its not a sure thing, and certainly good luck with it. I'm just giving you information from people I've talked to that had this problem come up before.

The serial number issue is a non-starter, connectivity issues arise based on the condition and age of the system alone. Nothing more, nothing less.
    This right here tells me that people DO have problems arise, maybe its an issue with the age of the psu. If the psu is weak in its old age, from lots of use, it may not power up the Phantom properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From the reading I've done, my older motherbaord may help with compatibility, but my older cart slot may make things tougher.

Looks like I won't know sh*t until I actually try it.

Are these !Arcade! guys in Canada? If so..cool! <----

I'm comfortable taking apart and modding my system. I'll clean the cart slot really well prior to use. I've gpt some really good Electronics cleaning solution, and some felt swabs.

I know my Neo has spent all of the last 8 years in it's box, in a guys garage. It looks minty, and I think had very light use (no logo fade at all).

I will post a report here, including steps taken with my unit.

*crosses fingers*

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

This is in

This is out:

you can still see the Fatal Fury cart that was hacked(badly i might ad) for the converter. This way you have no aim issues with the connection pins.

My neo is SN 14k and i've have had a problem with the converter besides Bad/counterfit MVS cart.

eh since i bored here is Wall number1 :[/img]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My neo is SN 14k and i've have had a problem with the converter besides Bad/counterfit MVS cart.
    Thanks for the pics! What was the problem you had?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

Bad/counterfit MVS carts won't work. I mean bad carts are not going to work in any machine anyways. so where i was going to blame the converter for not working on a couple of carts i had bought, it was always the carts that were FU, i confirmed them in 2 mvs multi slots.