Thread: Good sources for Neo Geo MVS Cabs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Default Good sources for Neo Geo MVS Cabs?

Other than eBay and local arcade auctions, what are some good sources for getting an MVS cabinet? I'm leaning towards a cabinet instead of the supergun route, but am not looking to get one right away.

Also what's the most important part of a cabinet to get in good condition (I'm assuming the monitor)

Thanks,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Really, other than eBay and auctions, you might check your phone book for operators and sellers in your area, but expect to pay more. I'd say wait for an auction.

And yeah, monitor is the key. Everything else is a cheap fix.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

For me, I called every phone number in my local phone book and the phone book for my college town and asked anyone that I thought might deal in cabs if they had one. Most people said no that they hadn't had any in a long time. Some places gave me other phone numbers to try. I went to local arcades and got phone numbers of the owners of the cabs off the machines and called them. I talked to people that I know that have Neo Geo's and got phone numbers from them. Eventually 2 ppl had a Neo Geo MVS cab that they would sell me. One was a mint 2 - slot for $800 so I had to say no (way too high for me.) A few weeks later a second guy called and said he had a Neo Geo. I went to look at it and it was a near mint 4 - slot with perfect monitor and 4 games for $350. I bought it instantly. (Use the link in my signature to see pics of the cab).

So anyway, just keep getting phone numbers and calling around and you will eventually find someone that will have a good deal for you. Make sure if you find one that you have a truck or trailer to put it in as they are huge and do weight a lot and U-Hauls cost a little too much just to bring one thing home.
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tholly
    they are huge and do weight a lot
    Are they tricky to move around with two people and a dolly?? How much do they weigh??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius
    Are they tricky to move around with two people and a dolly?? How much do they weigh??
    Well, when I brought mine in the house I had myself and two other people and a dolly to get it to the back of the house and then one more person besides the 3 of us helped get it through the door and down one step. Once it was inside two of us moved it into place with a dolly. I would say that if you have two people and a dolly and take your time you shouldn't have too much trouble. If you would have to deal with stairs you may want another helper. As for weight, I dont know exactly, but I think i have read somewhere that a MVS weighs about 350 pounds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I used to think so, but I've gotten pretty good at moving them around by myself. Get a good dolly, one with a strap. Moving down stairs is easier than up. 350lbs is a little high, most cabinets are closer to 250lbs, but believe me, it'll feel plenty heavy enough if you've trying to lift it. Once on the ground they're pretty easy to scoot around, using the "rock it from one corner to the other" technique.

I paid under $200 each for my one slot and two slot. The two slot is in nicer condition but has the smaller monitor. The cabinet on the one slot is a little rougher but that big ol' fatty monitor makes it nice to play on.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Please excuse my noobieness...but what is an MVS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Quote Originally Posted by HellStar
    Please excuse my noobieness...but what is an MVS?
    MVS stands for Multi-Video System

It is a type of arcade cabinet made by SNK. It is basically the same as a Neo Geo AES system but can only play MVS games. It comes in 1, 2, 4, and 6-slot set-ups with or without memory card adapters and headphone jacks.

For more info either click on my website link in my signature or got to http://www.neo-geo.com or http://www.hardmvs.com

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok...more newbiness! GOODY!

lol...ok i just thought neo geo made the neogeo cart console, neogeo cd console, and the neogeo pocket?

Srry bout all this....im just now trying to get into collecting neogeo collecting

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HellStar
    ok...more newbiness! GOODY!

lol...ok i just thought neo geo made the neogeo cart console, neogeo cd console, and the neogeo pocket?

Srry bout all this....im just now trying to get into collecting neogeo collecting

The MVS is basically the NeoGeo cart in arcade form. The home cart system is the AES, the arcade system is the MVS. The two are not compatible (originally to prevent arcade operators from buying the cheaper home carts) but you can play most MVS carts on the AES system with the Phantom 1 converter.

The NeoGeo CD is basically the same hardware again, but with a CD rom and some changes (better sound hardware, IIRC).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    Really, other than eBay and auctions, you might check your phone book for operators and sellers in your area, but expect to pay more. I'd say wait for an auction.

And yeah, monitor is the key. Everything else is a cheap fix.
    I do agree that auction is the best way to get one. But I have to disagree that the monitor is key. Monitors with display issues (but working) can typically be fixed for $10 - $15 in parts. A cap kit does wonders. But, the monitor is easily the most dangerous part to work on.

I'd say that whichever part of the cab you are least comfortable working on should be your emphesis. Personally, I hate doing cosmetics and will go out of my way to buy a nice looking cab that is completely dead (how I got my 25" Tekken 2 cab). The rest of the stuff (controls, wiring, power supply, etc) is all pretty much a no brainer, especially on the newer stuff like an MVS.

Be aware that not all MVS cabs had the memory card slots and what not, if that's something you want. I think only the 4 and 6 slot cabs (dedicated) had them. I could be wrong on that as I've only owned a 4 slot cab.

98PaceCar

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nah, with a dolly, it's easy. Does take some practice, but I move mine around all the time by myself and I'm by no means big (6 foot, 150 pounds). Navigating corners and doors can be a bit tricky by yourself though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

[quote="98PaceCar"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    Be aware that not all MVS cabs had the memory card slots and what not, if that's something you want. I think only the 4 and 6 slot cabs (dedicated) had them. I could be wrong on that as I've only owned a 4 slot cab.

98PaceCar
    I believe that some of the 1 or 2 slots had a memory card slot on the mother board and you would be able to insert a memory card into it by going inside the cab (which is easy to do, controller panel unlocks and flips forward or back unscrews) the 4 and 6 slots had a seperate memory card board that attached to the main mother board...make sure this looks like it is in good shape and that no one stuck anything that shouldnt be in there into the slot