Thread: Two Sega Saturn Questions -- if you can help please

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roxxybaby

Default Two Sega Saturn Questions -- if you can help please

I just inherited a Saturn from a friend who got sick of it and I need help on two things:

First, how hard is it to replace the internal battery? They seem to run pretty cheap but I've never opened a console before...

Secondly, and this is probably a dumb question but then I'm new to all this, is there a difference between the separate Panzer Dragoon games and Panzer Dragoon saga? Or is saga just a collection of the earlier games? How much should I expect to pay for Saturn games?

Thanks in advance for the help. I tried doing a search for this stuff but I didn't see either of these topics addressed specifically, so if they were I apologize for missing them.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First, you can replace the battery very easaly. You don't need to open up the console, just remove a little cover on the back of the machine. There it is. See this picture -> *click* the hole on the left of the back on the console.

Second, Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Zwei are the traditional PD games (as in flying on a dragon), Panzer Dragoon Saga is an RPG game (so total different from the first two).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Two Sega Saturn Questions -- if you can help please

Quote Originally Posted by roxybaby
    1. How hard is it to replace the internal battery? They seem to run pretty cheap but I've never opened a console before...
    Very simple. There's a door on the back of the system. Remove the little door, then slide the battery out with your finger and slide a new one in facing the same direction. It's a CR 2032 battery. Easiest battery replacement ever.

2. Is there a difference between the separate Panzer Dragoon games and Panzer Dragoon saga? Or is saga just a collection of the earlier games? How much should I expect to pay for Saturn games?
    Yes. The first 2 are shooters on rails, you have a targeting crosshair and a 360 degree firing range. Fun, challenging, very pretty for their time. Panzer Dragoon Saga is an RPG based in the Panzer Dragoon world, with an RPG engine that has a 360 turn based battle mode. Also very good but radically different from the first two.

Expect to pay anywhere from $3-5 each to as high as $150 each for different Saturn games. Panzer Dragoon 1 is common and runs about $10, and Panzer Dragoon Zwei is uncommon and runs $20-30. Saga on the other hand is quite hard to find and usually sells for $100-150 a copy. Many of the US RPGs for Saturn are quite hard to find and/or expensive. Most of the games for the system are quite common however Don't overpay if you don't have to!

Hope that helps!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Spreaking of the battery, what is the purpose for the battery for saturn? also can I have my games without a battery? thanks

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The battery allows you to save your game without having a memory cartridge. You will need it for RPG's and other games you want to save if you don't have a memory cartridge. What sucks now is I have panzer dragoon saga and the battery died on the saturn. Alll my progress is gone! Even better is I can't get my memory cartridge to work.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The battery allows you to save your game without having a memory cartridge. You will need it for RPG's and other games you want to save if you don't have a memory cartridge. What sucks now is I have panzer dragoon saga and the battery died on the saturn. Alll my progress is gone! Even better is I can't get my memory cartridge to work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where is the memory cart located? in the back slot of my saturn? because that is empty 9i aquired my saturn on ebay)

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roxxybaby

Wow, thanks for the quick help! I'll buy a new battery and see if the games save. I'm actually relieved that I won't have to open the console, that made me a bit nervous.

Time to jump online and snap up some games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PDorr3
    Where is the memory cart located? in the back slot of my saturn? because that is empty 9i aquired my saturn on ebay)
    No, you have to buy a Memory Cart for Saturn. It has internal memory, but if your battery dies, so does your internal memory. Bleah.

If you plan to buy a memory cart, ONLY buy a Sega one! Don't buy a 3rd party one as they always go bad.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."