Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NES for $20 arrived today (I'm not too happy)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES for $20 arrived today (I'm not too happy)

The NES auction I won last week for $20 + $3 for shipping arrived today. First thing - the auction description said "barely used" - this is very very very used. The guy bought this at a yard sale for $8, including the games (written on piece of tape attached to top of NES) or less and it is very dirty (scuff marks, dirt, sticky crap, etc.). Second thing - the games - he claimed there were 15 games, only 13 arrived. I'm guessing he rounded this number. Third thing, very crucial - he claimed there were 2 controllers - 0, ZERO arrived. So I can't even play the damn thing. This turned out to be a bad deal afterall. How do I get my money back? Should I email the seller and talk with them about this first before I doing anything else? GRRRR

Lesson learned from this situation - Don't trust auctions without pictures.

If you want me to post a picture of what DID arrive, I can do that. Its pretty crappy. Thanks for your help.
    Got some complete Genny games you'd like to sell for cheap? PM me plz. Especially looking for Aerobiz: Supersonic, Genghis Kahn 2: Clan of the Gray Wolf, Operation Europe: Path to Victory 1939-45, Time Killers, Gaiares, Herzog Zwei, and Skeleton Krew.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Certianly don't do the feedback thing yet....calm down and then fire off an E-mail.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Notify him first. Ask for a half back deal. Say your not happy, and you wont give a negative if he sends 10 dollars back.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A nes consle and 13 games for 23 bucks doesn't sound like too bad of a deal. Even though the guy did lie about the condition, games and controllers i'd say you made out pretty well even if it is dirty and bad shape.

If you need some NES controllers I could hook you up as you sound pretty mad about it.

I feel bad for you, but i guess ya win some you loose some. Definately notify him though and talk to him about the situation. BTW, what games did you get? I would like to see "how bad" this system is, so if you got some pics, lets see em.

-Josh

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The guy lied, that's all that matters. Email him and ask him what he plans on doing about it, then either take what he offers or demand more. $10 is fair....Considering you now have a system with no controllers and have to waste more time on it. Just depends how you look at it I guess. Don't jump the gun though, work things out with him or whoever...paypal, ebay...who cares, but cover all fronts before you go to feedback.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You have every right to be mad. He described it as barely used and it is in crappy condition. I would be mad too.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't remember, how did you pay? I hope it's paypal.

I feel for you, but never buy anything without a photo. Period.

D
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lets see a picture of this so we know what we are dealing with here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29079

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEBWA:IT

While it sucks that it didn't arrive as expected, you did take a gamble on it. With a lacking description and a new seller, I'm not so sure they knew exactly what they were doing.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Games: Legend of Zelda, Duck Hunt, Ikari Warriors II, Dr. Mario, Strider, Sesame Street 123, Gremlins 2, Festers Quest, Ghostbusters, Baseball Stars II, Mickey Mousecapade, and two copies of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II.

Are any of these games even good? I don't know much about NES, but are the cartridges supposed to rattle at all? Baseball Stars II and the crappier copy of TMNJ II have a major rattle, while Zelda, Ikari Warriors and Ghostbusters have a slight rattle. The rest of the games don't' have any rattling sounds. Also, the A/C adapter is not original, it says its made by HiTRON electronics corporation, and the prongs to plug in the wall are bent a bit to the left. The NES unit itself has a 1" long crack on the left hand side of the game door and the RF unit plug-in port is bent somewhat to the right, I almost couldn't fit the plug-in in it. I hooked it all up and tried to see if the games would even come on-screen but I couldn't get anything except fuzz, the little red light was blinking and that's it. Do I have to have A/V cables also?

BTW - Yes, I payed with PayPal, and I know that this was a gamble, I just wish it would have been in better shape than this seeing as he claimed it was "barely used". Would have also been nice if it came with everything he said it did. So much for the Honor System, huh?
    Got some complete Genny games you'd like to sell for cheap? PM me plz. Especially looking for Aerobiz: Supersonic, Genghis Kahn 2: Clan of the Gray Wolf, Operation Europe: Path to Victory 1939-45, Time Killers, Gaiares, Herzog Zwei, and Skeleton Krew.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to pretend that I didn't just read your question about whether the games (which includes Zelda) are any good. Rare, no fun absolutely.

If you're not familiar with the NES then you should join the NES club. The next game is going to be a classic. I'll post it tomorrow.

D
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you ask me, for $20 and $3 shipping I think you made out well. Some of those games are really worth playing if you are new to NES, and the system seems to be in fair condition from waht I can see. Go out to gamestop, buy a controller for a few bucks and you are set.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CueWarrior
    I'm going to pretend that I didn't just read your question about whether the games (which includes Zelda) are any good. Rare, no fun absolutely.
    - Yes, I know that some of them are fun, I played Zelda and some of the Mario games back in the day. Don't take that question the wrong way, it was meant more as, are these games good in this condition, not playability. They are pretty dirty and some rattle. Thats how the question was meant to be directed. Sorry for that confusion.

Side note: I sent email to seller around 5pm and as of now, no word back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds to me like you have more problems than missing games and controllers. If you put a cart in it and all you get is a blinking power light then your NES has a bad 72 pin cart connecter. It's a pretty common problem and isnt that hard to fix but you'll need to get a new connector which costs about $7.50 plus shipping.

Honestly, I wouldn't even bother negotiating about a partial refund, I'd ask for your full payment back since the unit definately wasn't close to being as described. I'd also make him pay for return shipping if he wants it back. If he argues about it then I'd contact Paypal and file for a refund.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Or before you go tearing apart a system and spending $7+ on a new pin connector, you could try cleaning the games and the system.

If you don't have an store bought cleaning kit, q-tips and 2 parts water to 1 part alcohol will make a good cleaning solution for the games. Dip one end of the q-tip in the solution, rub it over the contact, flip it to the dry end, and rub the contact with the dry end.

As for the rattles- without seeing inside of the cart there is no way to know if it's a piece of plastic that's harmlessly floating around or part of the board. Sylentwulf might have some bits that will allow you to open it up and check.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He didnt even send controllers???? What a jerk.
    Midwest

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

still...those are some decent games and controllers are really cheap at GS! But it does suck that he lied to you!!
    What i need: SNES games and a few 32x!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

not bad, i wouldn't complain if i were you . I would have dropped 23 on that in a heart beat... cleaned it up a little and resold it for $40+ (that is with two controllers). Too bad he lied, but it seems that you made this whole situation a bigger problem then it really was. Get some controllers, clean the system (very easy if you have a small screw driver) and enjoy those games. You got a good deal.

-Josh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEBWA:IT

this was the auction? and you paid $3 shipping?

first off most peeps woulda charged $10 or more for shipping that.
    and it says over 10 games not 15...plus it isn't like you got 12 copies of bases loaded 2 or something...you got a few fun games in there.

sure it said 'barely used'....barely used by him lol (sorry) i think you got a decent deal here. i wouldn't send it back at all, try to get some money off of him, but don't send it back. some games rattle, there's these little plastic pieces that hold the boards down that break sometimes, no big deal usually.

you can probably get a used nes controller from a gamestore for $3 pick one that isn't too worn out. you may need a new pin connector(try cleaning first like mentioned earlier) but that's less than $10 after shipping. you didn't get ripped off here. with such a weak description i'd say you got real lucky actually.

if you change your mind you can make $20 selling those games off individually, and i imagine people would pay $5-10 for a 'may or may not work nes'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, you got a good deal, but it doesn't make up for the fact that he blatantly lied to you THREE TIMES. (Seriously, how hard is it to count to 15?).

Give him the benefit of the doubt, and send him an email. Maybe he just got auctions switched or something. If you end up having to send the unit back, be sure to charge hm $3 + what real shipping is (I know its way more than $3) so you aren't out any money.