Thread: Do we really need another set of Next Gen Consoles?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Do we really need another set of Next Gen Consoles?

fellow gamers please here me out on this topic and feel free to express your opinions. I have been a gamer for more than 25 years and through it all I was always interested in "the next big thing" as far as new systems go. Examples: after the Atari2600 and the "crash" I wanted nothing more than that new system everyone is getting the Nintendo(8-bit). Then it was time for the new 16-bit system Sega Genesis etc. Im sure than many other gamers have followed the same path as myself.
    But now here we are with the current crop of systems that have spoiled us all with incredible graphics and expaned new gameplay elements. The Xbox,PS2,and Gamecube are all so far beyond what I could have ever imagined back when I was drooling over the new 8-bit and 16-bit systems.
    My question is for all the gamers out there especially the ones that have been around long before the PSone you know who you are the ones that said "wow" when they launched up altered beast on there brand new Genny.
    With all the capabilities of the current gen game systems how many of you really SEE OR HAVE A NEED FOR A NEW CONSOLE? be it PS3,Xboxnext, or Gamecube2? I am very satisfied with the current machines probably until I have every great game on every current system I honestly will not be very interested in getting "the next big thing" in console gaming be it the next Xbox or PS3 or whatever. who else feels the same or has a whole different take on the subject?
    LATER GAMERS!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

I agree with you. I am not going to buy the next systems for a long time after they come out. 3 years I would say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gaming isn't a necessity. It's a luxury. Therefore, the answer to your question as to whether we need another set of next gen consoles would be "no". Would we like newer consoles with more capabilities that can offer new and amazing gaming expreiences? I can say that I would (granted that they deliver on the new and amazing gaming experiences) .

Also, I think that hyping things like the "next big thing next gen" consoles is just a waste of time designed to boost the egos of corporate execs at the expense of the consumers. There will be plenty of time for excitement when these products are on the market.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Personally, I think we should give the current consoles about 2-3 more years. I like new systems and cant wait for new ones but the ones we have are perfectly fine for the time being.

How much more can they do to improve them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    Personally, I think we should give the current consoles about 2-3 more years. I like new systems and cant wait for new ones but the ones we have are perfectly fine for the time being.

How much more can they do to improve them?
    Look at any of Valve's Half-Life 2 gameplay movies and remind yourself that the technology making that game look that good has been on the market for over a year and a half and that the next batch of consoles will be out sometime next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thankx I thought I was the only one who felt this way. I honestly believe that the current gen systems will have MUCH longer life-spans than the average 3-5 years. I see all the current systems having life spans comparible to the PSone or even longer becuase of DVD capabilities and the fact that companies like Sony and Microsoft are underestimating consumers in their ways of thinking. that being demand for a new home console is going to be the same every generation you know what I mean?
    the jump up from 32-bit and 64-bit too the current machines was exponential in my opinion not only graphic wise but in all ways including gameplay,audio etc. I guess im just ranting now sorry, lol. Too bad every system couldnt have the life span of the venerable NEO-GEO!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's still room for improvement

MEMORY - to hold more game data and have fewer (or no) disc loadings

VIDEO - upgrade from 500x525 NTSC to 1800(?)x1024 HDTV widescreen

SOUND - True 6.1 channel sound.

But that's it. I can't imagine any upgerades past 2010??? The next generation might be the last.
    Wakka Wakka Wakka - CHOMP -
    NINTENDO: NOW YOU'RE PLAYING WITH POWER
    "Have You Played Atari Today?"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just wish each generation would stay around a bit longer, if for no reason other than to get more and better games on the market. From my limited experience with the next-gen systems, with the exception of the PS2, which has the loosest licensing policy, there just aren't that many games at all that I'd actually be interested in playing, even if they were free..

The older gen systems stayed on the market a good bit longer, and, I think, that contributed greatly to their longevity in our minds as gamers..

Hell, if they need more memory to get DoA girls to bounce in just the right way, may I suggest a reincarnation of the 32x..? Only this time don't announce the new nextgens right before putting it on the market! =P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Yea, it doesn't even seem like these systems have been out for a long time. We definitely can get by on the current three for a few more years, but these compaines will always come out with the next best thing and try to out do each other, but they really should wait.
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I follow the game makers and the next big game. Unfortunatly, the hardware makers need to have a new chance to try to capture a bigger percentage of the installed base to help grow thier postition in the market. So ebery few years we are going to have to shell out the dough. My philosophy is however there HAS to be a few games out there worth buying the new system or I wait. There always seems to be such a game however that keeps me buying them.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSoul
    The older gen systems stayed on the market a good bit longer, and, I think, that contributed greatly to their longevity in our minds as gamers..
    They did?

1977- 2600
    1982- 5200
    crash
    1985 - NES
    1990 - SNES
    1995 - PS1
    2000 - PS2

About 5 years each generation. Nothing's changed?
    Wakka Wakka Wakka - CHOMP -
    NINTENDO: NOW YOU'RE PLAYING WITH POWER
    "Have You Played Atari Today?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Farfel you have a good point, but unfortunately you are basing your statistics on release dates for each system NOT on when the last game was released on said systems.
    Example when was the last PSone game released or has it been released or even better what was the last release for the NEO-GEO avs?
    do yah get my point? IM talking about how long the game systems themselves are supported by both developers and publishers especially third parties.
    what Im saying is that I see a great possibility that the current gen systems will be supported by third and even second party publishers and developers long after the next batch of consoles are released.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NO WE DONT
    Midwest

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alot of developers aren't ready for a next generation. A number of developers for Nintendo and the Gamecube have said that the Cube does everything they want a gaming console to do and more. HDTV and 6.1 audio is nice, but I'd rather just stick to what I have and enjoy good games in NTSC and Stereo than have to shell out $200-300 because some A/V junkies want a game to show off their entertainment center.

Summary - I'm poor, keep it simple, stupid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am too also satisfied with the current systems. And we will see another couple years out of each systems, seeing as the next generation consoles aren't coming out until 05 or 06. I also don't see how each system can get any better. Some cleaner graphics on games but's that's about it, to me anyways.
    Maybe what the president of Nintendo saying systems and games need to get easier to play instead of more advance, maybe they are right.
    (I don't remember their quote word for word, buy think it's close)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was reading somewhere where someone was saying it was going to be a problem with selling the next generation to people just based on game playing abilities and features alone. Previous generations have seen (comparably) great strides in how the games look and play. Apparently, the opinion was that the next systems would be focusing more on OTHER features, online game play, ability to surf the web, etc, to convince people to buy them. There'll always be SOME people that want the latest and greatest and will buy consoles simply because they're new, but I think for the core gamers, it's going to be a harder sell. I suppose if the new games come out in a format that is only playable on the new systems, that might motivate a few more people to buy, especially if they're fans of a particular series whose next release is only on the newest system.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the companies are just trying to keep their profits coming in. When consoles sales start slacking and they start making less money, they start getting ready to release the next console.

I dont think we NEED more consoles right now.. but would I LIKE more consoles that will more than likely have alot more features and alot more power... of course.

also i'm betting that sony will do like they did wit the PSone and continue to release games for it, for a while after the consoles stop selling

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My buddy who works at EA tells me that the word comming down the chute is they'll be getting some XBOX 2 Dev kits "soon" He seems to think "soon" means around a month. I belive when a developer gets the new hardware pushe onto them they HAVE to consider ramping up development for the new generation systems for fear of being left behind the competition. Hence the vicious cycle of "We have to have a game for the next Gen console" simply because the console makers release a new pice of hardware.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Meh....I did my stint in the game industry and got tired of it. I worked with and still own the 3 next gen systems....and I'm tired of them. I'm tired of hollow games held together with meaningless graphics. I'm tired of inflated retail prices, tired of hype, tired of software that isn't worth the money you pay for it. Tired of sensationalism....gratuitous violence masked as a game.

Why do you think that I ran away and came here to Digital Press? Retro. To be surrounded by people who take value in simpler games. I REALLY like my Genesises and my N64s. Lots. I tolerate my Cube, XboX and PS2.

Next generation of systems? Just deeper bullshit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

new systems? i'm still waiting for the prices to come down on the old ones! sheesh

i think the only thing that is gonna keep developers pubishing games for old systems is backward compatibility....look at the 2600, gameboy, psx...all backwards compatible with their next gen...i'm sure it has something to do with publishing fees (ie cheaper to pay sony to make a ps1 game right now than a ps2 game...guessing here)

new systems will keep on selling tho, and that's all that matters to the makers. if you're asking if i'm happy if all the progress stops? hell, i'd be happy if it ended in the 16-bit era, but i'm curious to see what happens next......