Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do YOU like resident evil series...or is it over-rated?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default do YOU like resident evil series...or is it over-rated?

for some reason i've always felt this draw towards the series...like a magnet...

i tried the first one for psx when it came out...and didn't care for it....
    years went by and i saw alot of sequels come out so i figured i've been missing something...so i picked up resident evil 0 for gcn the other day used...and played about and hour...and i've got nothing but gripes from the loading time to the controls, tedious menus...i could go on and on about how bad that one hour of gaming was.

but i still kinda want to give it a chance...so i guess i'm asking, does the game get alot better as you go on? should i keep going hoping on getting addicted or is it just a dead-end for alot of people? and why can't you move while your gun is drawn?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

To me it's holding up pretty well actually. The movement is something they must address though. Also loading doors should be kept to a minimum.

I like the Resident Evil series better than the Silent Hill series. The first Silent Hill was great, but the rest have really been crap, imo. At least Resident Evil has stayed interesting and progressive as far as story and slight upgrades go.

Resident Evil Remake is the best. I can't wait for RE4 it looks great.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with BHvrd...I really love the story and gameplay too

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But the controlls... I can't think of a game with worse controlls. That whole "turning-system" is just useless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The controls really arent that bad once you get use to em. But as for the game I think theyre all diffrent enough and scary to keep me intrested.

"Fear our 3 diffrent kinds of ships" - Space Invaders

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really love the series... I'm interested to see how Mikami decides to play out the story/gameplay in RE 4. I'm anxious to play it. From the information already given, it looks to be pretty crazy!
    - MarkMan
    www.SDTEKKEN.com - SAN DIEGO TEKKEN
    www.tekkenzaibatsu.com - Tekken Zaibatsu

Idle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Eh... you know, I own the Director's Cut of the first one, RE2, and Code Veronica. CV's the only one I actually beat. But I haven't played an RE game in ages, and it's hardly among my favorite gaming series. So yes, it is overrated, but not to say it sucks. It's actually a solid series, and it is one of the better series of games to still be going today. It's just not my cup of tea is all.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Funny you should mention.

During the days of the PSX and N64, Resident Evil is what gamers used to flip over, especially concerning the PSX. All you'd hear about was Resident Evil.

Survival horror fans are still out there.....but it certainly seems that when the series moved to the Cube it lost tons of diehard fans....due to the anti-Nintendo "kiddie system" sentiment. (When are people gonna finally stop that bullshit labelling of Nintendo's stuff?) I know plenty of self-proclaimed "hardcore Res Evil fans" that REFUSED to continue the series once it hit the Cube. Kinda dumb when you consider the incredible lighting effects that the Cube lends to the new games. True horror atmosphere.

Silly people and their silly biases. Their loss.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked the Res Evil game but disliked the controls (though they have improved on the newer games) the thing I found to be most annoying was the awful fixed camera angles especally when running down a corridor only for the camera to shift and finding yourself plowing into a wall.

I know plenty of self-proclaimed "hardcore Res Evil fans" that REFUSED to continue the series once it hit the Cube
    Yeah I know a lot of folks that did the same thing with the XBox fans of Jet Set (Grind) Radio, House of the Dead & Crazy Taxi who refused to follow the games just because the XBox was Microsoft (seeming ironically to forget that the Dreamcast used Microsoft's CE OS)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try Eternal Darkness instead Much scarier game (like Psycho is scarier than The Mummy).
    Wakka Wakka Wakka - CHOMP -
    NINTENDO: NOW YOU'RE PLAYING WITH POWER
    "Have You Played Atari Today?"

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here are my scores for the RE games:

RE = B+
    RE Director's Cut = A-
    RE2 = A
    RE3 = B-
    RE Code Veronica = B
    RE Survivor = C
    RE Code Veronica X = ??? (haven't played it)
    RE Gaiden = C+
    RE (GC Remake) = A+
    RE Zero = B
    RE Dead Aim = ??? (haven't played it)

The RE series is my overall favorite survival horror franchise. The GC remake is actually one of my personal favorite games of all time. I actually think the clunky controls and fixed camera angles add to the suspense. I have no problem with either of those things. I already know in RE4 that they did away with the fixed camera angles in favor of either a third or first person view (the player can switch on the fly I think). There also aren't any door animations between areas and that is a plus. Its going to be interesting to see what other changes are in store for the series.
    View My Current Game Collection!! My Complete Collection Page!!

Seeking These NES Games!! Willing To Trade or Sell Some To Me? NES Games I Don't Have!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I LOVE the story behind Resident Evil, but I absolutely DESPISE the controls. I can't stand em. The simple fact is, people do not WALK towards and away from zombies. And with that control system, it's almost impossible to run away cause you'll end up running into walls and stuff and getting chewed on. I like survivial horror, but I like being able to push the direction I want to go! I ended up buying all the RE novels, which tell the entire RE story without having to suffer through the control scheme. I did get fairly far in Code Veronica for the DC, but that's the only one I've put much time into at all. Even REmake for the Cube was irritating....pretty...but irritating.

Strangely, for some reason, I don't mind playing Silent Hill. I also liked Eternal Darkness (though it wasn't scary at all), and Blue Stinger. Extermination and The Thing for PS2 weren't bad either Personally I think the scariest games I've ever played are the PC Aliens Vs. Predator games, when you're playing the Marines and fighting Aliens. The facehuggers almost make me nauseous when they grab me I love it!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have played 1-3 for the PS. They were all really fun. The first one is more challenging because they took more time making it. But they are not overated in my view.
    Midwest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

I dont love but I dont hate them either. I sort of lost interest in them after the ps1 versions

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gast
    But the controlls... I can't think of a game with worse controlls. That whole "turning-system" is just useless.
    I agree! The controls of the games are horrible--same goes for Carrier on DC. I never got into them because of that!
    DC--- It's STILL thinking....!!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's just not my kind of game I guess. I don't enjoy playing these games as much as I do others. Don't get me wrong though the game is programmed and layed out GREAT! I love how gloomy it is, definatly sets the mood good.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never liked it... I've never played one of them.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I LOVE the RE series, well, at least the 2 I plaed. And would you believe I never even played or SEEN one before picking up RE2 and CVX about 3 months ago for the GCN?

I'm an old fan of the Alone In The Dark series in fact those were probably highest ranking in my list of top PC games of all time and when I turned on RE2 and seen that it was basically AITD all over again I was so happy, and also angry that I had never even looked at these before and realizing what I'd been missing.

But as I said I've only played RE2 and CVX and MY only beef is the puzzles were too easy, RE2 had like maybe 2 times I had to stop and think about for any time and CVX was a bit harder stumping me probably 5 times (but not for very long)

Can someone reccomend the hardest game in this series for me?,
    I've been thinking about picking up RE1 and RE3.

Alex Kidd

As for the controls, if you can play a version with the controller options to make the R button walk forward it seems to help a LOT, at least for me
    The Weed Of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit You Old Hag!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try Eternal Darkness instead Much scarier game (like Psycho is scarier than The Mummy).

I disagree. I didnt think Eternal Darkness was even close to being as scary. There were very few surprise enemys in ED. Were in RE there are TONS.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The RE series is massively overrated. Firstly, its not scary. Secondly, enough with the "survival horror"...its just a funky action game with zombies and retarded puzzles. I'd take Silent Hill and Clock Tower anyday....including today!
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.