Thread: Why aren't there any remakes of Classic games?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why aren't there any remakes of Classic games?

Ok, first off... Yes, I know that there are remakes of Classic games, but let me explain exactly what I mean.

Take for example a game like Super Mario Bros. The original NES classic. Wouldn't it be sweet, if Nintendo did a remake of this game on the GameCube.

But wait!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not talking about your normal remake. I don't mean that they take Super Mario Bros. and make it 3D. Or that they take Super Mario Bros and port it pixel for pixel.

What I mean is, they take Super Mario Bros. and make the EXACT same game, except with a total 128 Bit Facelift. It would still be the same old Super Mario Bros game, the same old 2D game, except that the game would be given a 128 Bit facelift. Kind of like how they do it in the movies. The take a old movie, and make it exactly the same, except they modernize it.

Ok, now I know what you are going to say. Your going to say that they've already done this with Super Mario All-Stars on the Super NES. And I would have to say, yes, they did do that. Way back in the early 90's. I'm talking about a fresh coat of 128 Bit paint over Mario. Not a 16 bit coat of paint.

And you could do this with tons and tons of games. I don't think it would be tremendously expensive to do either. We are talking about classic 2D games, with the layouts and maps already written.

For example, take a game like Metroid. But redo the original classic game with 128 bit graphics and sounds. The same exact Metroid, except with 128 Bit love added to it. I don't mean taking Metroid and putting it in the realm of 3D. Or taking the original Metroid and adding all kinds of crazy special effects and basically changing it into a totally different game. I'm talking about the same exact game, except with the Graphics and Sounds redone to take advantage of existing technology.

Basically, like if Miyamoto had a GameCube back in 1986 or whenever, and he was going to make that game, but instead of the canvas being a NES, it's a GameCube. So he would have the expanded palette of colors, and the lack of any sprite limitiations, etc, etc,. Tons of parallax scrolling, etc, etc. Water could actually look damn close to water. etc, etc. It should still be done somewhat cartoony. I mean I couldn't imagine a Mario game with Mario being a digitalized italian guy in a plumbers outfit!!!!

But you know what I mean.

What I mean is, just re-creating the exact same game, except bumping it up with the most up to date technology, but keeping it 2D, and not adding tons of stuff that was never in the original game.

This could also be done with the classic 2D shooters. They would still be 2D, but the graphics and details and sound would all be bumped up dramatically. Imagine a game like Super R-Type on the SNES redone with no slowdown whatsoever, and the graphics pumped up with the latest technology, and an incredible Dolby Digital 5.1 remastered sound track. With the explosions rocking the Subwoofer. Obviously for it to be Dolby Digital 5.1, this remake would have to be done on the XBOX.

But basically, what I'm saying is, can you just imagine all the great classic games that could be remade with their graphics and sounds totally updated, but with the game basically remaining the same.

Man that would be sweet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hehe... this reminds me of that South Park episode where the kids were trying to save movies from the evil hands of george lucas

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Default Re: Why aren't there any remakes of Classic games?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    It would still be the same old Super Mario Bros game, the same old 2D game, except that the game would be given a 128 Bit facelift.
    What does that mean though? Do you want the same game with more colors or something? What do you think a "128 Bit facelift" would provide that a "16 Bit facelift" didn't? If we're keeping the game strictly 2D, there really isn't much more the Gamecube can add.

Hudson Soft recently released updated versions of Bonk's Adventure and Adventure Island for the Gamecube in Japan... the gameplay is still the same 2D platform fare, but the characters are actually 3D and such... is this what you would want?

--Zero

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that you are overlooking the fact that making it look "128-bit" won't do anything for a good portion of classic gamers. I don't play games because they look "128-bit", and I sure won't play a game because it isn't.

I think that you are going to soon fall into the same trap that Lucas has with Star Wars.. first it was muppets.. then it was muppets and CGI... I only guess that soon enough it will be muppets and better CGI/or just CGI. You just have to let it go. Games have a place and a time. That's a good thing. Soon enough people will realize that the new paint doesn't look that good after all, and you'll be wanting them to scrape off the new paint to "restore" it to the original.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default re.

I somewhat agree with you. I would love to see it done especially with the original super Mario bros. games. But I wouldn’t want them to be exactly the same. It would be like watching a remake movie you already know everything that's going to happen so what's the point. There no anticipation. If they slightly changed the levels, added some new areas and kept it all 2-D side scrolling I would buy a gamecube just to be able to play it. There needs to be more current 2 D side scrollers nowadays there’s just something magic about them when there done right like Mario bros. and sonic you don’t even need the current graphics just a good solid game that completely captivates you and makes you forget about everything else while your playing it.

Just my humble 2 cents,

Spider

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Why aren't there any remakes of Classic games?

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    It would still be the same old Super Mario Bros game, the same old 2D game, except that the game would be given a 128 Bit facelift.
    What does that mean though? Do you want the same game with more colors or something? What do you think a "128 Bit facelift" would provide that a "16 Bit facelift" didn't? If we're keeping the game strictly 2D, there really isn't much more the Gamecube can add.

Hudson Soft recently released updated versions of Bonk's Adventure and Adventure Island for the Gamecube in Japan... the gameplay is still the same 2D platform fare, but the characters are actually 3D and such... is this what you would want?

--Zero
    After reading this reply, I immediately went to Google and did a search on Bonk's Adventure and Adventure Island for the GameCube, and I must say that this is pretty much exactly what I'm talking about.

Also, you said that there isn't much more the GameCube can add, but if you look at those screenshots of Bonk's Adventure and Adventure Island, I would have to say that it's adding a helluva lot.

Looking back at Mario All-Stars, Nintendo didn't really go all out in terms of trying to really jazz up those old games. I think they could have done alot more in terms of parallax scrolling and making the water look better and stuff.

I think that if Nintendo did nothing more than taking the original Super Mario Bros. and making it completey rendered with the awesome sound that the GameCube provides, that would be pretty sweet in and of itself.

The think is, that it's really hard for me to put into words, exactly what I'm talking about. It's just hard to explain. But I think the games could be redone, and SOME special effects could be added, not too much, because you don't want to end up over producing the game, and over doing it, but definitely some special effects could be added, and some neat little tricks that are only capable with 128 bit technology, for example making enemies somewhat transparent.

Like when Mario goes into the Ghost houses, they could make the ghosts look really, really cool. And just think what they could do with the sound. Although I would really love to see these remakes done on the XBOX, with 720P HDTV graphics and a full on Dolby Digital soundtrack.

But getting back to Bonk's Adventure and Adventure Island, are they coming over here? If not, why NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a total crime against humanity!!!!!

What does one need to play the import GameCube games?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IntvGene
    I think that you are overlooking the fact that making it look "128-bit" won't do anything for a good portion of classic gamers. I don't play games because they look "128-bit", and I sure won't play a game because it isn't.

I think that you are going to soon fall into the same trap that Lucas has with Star Wars.. first it was muppets.. then it was muppets and CGI... I only guess that soon enough it will be muppets and better CGI/or just CGI. You just have to let it go. Games have a place and a time. That's a good thing. Soon enough people will realize that the new paint doesn't look that good after all, and you'll be wanting them to scrape off the new paint to "restore" it to the original.

I understand what you are saying, but I think if Nintendo took Super Mario Bros. and totally redid it, without really chaninging the fundamental skeleton of the game, and it came out on the GameCube or the next Nintendo hardware or whatever, even if in some ways the classic gamers think's it somewhat of an abomination, I can guarantee you that they would still want to check the game out anyways.

And just think about all the little kids that are growing up right now, that have never played the old Mario games. This would be a great game for these little kiddes. It would have the more modern type graphics that they are used too, except not in 3D, but it would still have that classic backbone of a 2D masterpiece from the late 80's.

I think it would be a smash hit. I also don't think that it would cost a ridiculous some of money to make, either.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Well, it would be interesting to see Super Mario Bros get sort of a Viewtiful Joe style make-over... 3D graphics with 2D gameplay. I don't know how well it would do when it comes to sales though, since most people would rather buy a completely new game than another rehash... maybe if they redid all of the 2D games for a new All-Stars, it could work.

Frankly, I'm happy with Super Mario All-Stars though.

As for importing games, you'll probably need a Freeloader... I think a Gameshark might do the trick too.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So you just want the exact game, but with a new "skin" to the graphics correct. Kind of brings to mind one of my favorite old emu's.. EMU-DX by Mike Greene.

Remember that one? Took games like Donkey Kong and Frogger arcade roms and just pasted new graphics and sound on them, but the gameplay remained EXACTLY the same all the way down to the quirks, the timing, everything. It was just new graphics but everything else was the same.

I'd imagine a lot more of this is still possible today even moreso.. with all sorts of platforms, not only arcade. It would be very neat to see some more

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They could atleast make them look killer as opposed to re-releasing them in a pixel to pixel port on GBA or something. They should atleast do something for their money. I probably wouldn't spend my hard earned money on it for a few years though........

Pac-Man (Level 10) atomicthumbs's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would like to see a sidescroller of Bionic Commando in the style of Contra: Shattered Soldier.

Like that'll ever happen.

"Gamera is really neat --- He is filled with turtle meat --- We all love you Ga-me-ra!"
    - MST3K

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I think they already did this and called it Sega Ages.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Ah I remember the MAME DX games, those were fun!

I guess a remake of Metroid/Mteroid 2/Super Metroid along th eline sof metroid Prime would be like playing Prime?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

The only thing that comes to mind is...why? Honestly I'd rather have Nintendo focusing on NEW Mario games for the Cube rather than spending time and resources on a 3D render remake of an old game. For one you KNOW they won't leave the gameplay alone. They mucked a bit with the GBA ports (from what I've read) and going to 3D will probably require some sort of "update" like ledge grabbing (so you don't fall) or something along those lines to make it easy for the modern gamer. In my eyes that would be similar to Lucas making Greedo shoot Han Solo first.

There's also something magic about the game's graphics. Even though they could have done more with All Stars in the visual department it's really all about the game play. Changing it into a pseudo 3D game with a controller designed for 3D gaming isn't going to make the game better.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Yeah, I don't see the point either. Nintendo did a more than honorable job with Metroid Zero Mission (now, that's what I call a remake!), but do they have to upgrade the visuals beyond that? And how many ports/remakes of the SMB NES trilogy do we need? Isn't it enough that it's out on three different consoles? We don't need to see it being remade for the GameCube, just so it'd look nicer.

And there is charm to looking at blocky graphics. It kinda harks of a different era. If you think that updating the looks of the series would bring the people of the Playstation generation to get into the series, I doubt it. The gameplay of Super Mario is well-made, but things have changed in the (nearly) 20 years since SMB was first released.

As for 3D updates, well look at Defender by Midway. It almost immediately dropped in price (not a good sign about a game's popularity level). SpyHunter was a better effort, but it's still not the original Spy Hunter.

I'm not saying that the Sega Ages and Hudson Soft's efforts in this way are bad at all, but Nintendo have rehashed its main classics too much to make it worthwhile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First, let me say, one more post, Anthony and you're on level 4!

Anyway, I've thought that a sorta SMB trilogy remake with graphics and sound and effects and a look similar to the first level in the Smash Bros. Melee Adventure mode would work great. And it IS a 20th anniversary thing. Release the trilogy all 2.5D-ized for the NES's birthday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

It'd be kinda cool, but I'd still stick with my SMB NES cart I bought for 20 cents at Gamestop instead of buying a $50 remake.

The VG industry caught Sequelitis from the movie industry decades ago, now I'm hoping they don't catch Remakeitis (Twin Snakes, anyone?)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think its a great idea and all but i wouldnt pay $50 for a game like that. They should release like an asortment of games redone as a limited edition or commemorative disc. Or atleast lower the price of them.

50 posts! wahoo!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i would still rather have SMB for the GC with pretty much same graphics and gameplay but with like 50 different worlds instead of just 8.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146
    So you just want the exact game, but with a new "skin" to the graphics correct. Kind of brings to mind one of my favorite old emu's.. EMU-DX by Mike Greene.

Remember that one? Took games like Donkey Kong and Frogger arcade roms and just pasted new graphics and sound on them, but the gameplay remained EXACTLY the same all the way down to the quirks, the timing, everything. It was just new graphics but everything else was the same.

I'd imagine a lot more of this is still possible today even moreso.. with all sorts of platforms, not only arcade. It would be very neat to see some more

Yeah, that looks sweet! I would love to check that out.

I remember when Donkey Kong Country first came out. There was a rumor that a fully rendered version of the original arcade game was on that cart as a secret bonus. Of course it turned out to be bogus, but I thought that was a cool idea.