Thread: Yet another scam Ebay e-mail.. unusually convincing one this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Yet another scam Ebay e-mail.. unusually convincing one this

I got one this morning that called itself ID Verify, and it was by FAR, the most convincing one I've ever seen. I'm still not 100% sure it's not the real thing, it was so well done. The clincher for me was the threat at the end "Failure to complete ID verify could result in account suspension" . It goes so far to show you the new icon you will get if you become 'ID Verified".

I already e-mailed it to Ebay.

BEWARE
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You are urged to establish your proof of identity with ID Verify - an easy way to help others trust you as their trading partner as our service quality is changing. The process takes about 5 minutes to complete and involves updating your information over a secure connection and answering a few questions. When you're successfully verified, you will receive an ID Verify icon in your feedback profile. This feature applies to residents of the United States and U.S. territories (Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and Guam), Europe (EU) and Australia. .

Fee:
    Verification is free of charge and is valid until your name, home address or phone number change.

ID Verify Now, and help us improve the service we are providing to our customers.

Note: After successful verification, you will not be able to modify your contact information for 30 days. Also, the ID Verify icon is used for 3 different verification processes. Verisign provides individual verification on eBay.com. GeoTrust, Inc. is used for the verification of certain businesses selling on eBay.com. Deutsche Post is used for the verification of German members on eBay.de.

Warning: Failure to Verify your ID may result in Account Suspension.

Regards,

Safeharbor Department
    eBay, Inc.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

I get those emails all the time. I dont even open them, just delete 'em.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Me too, but this is the first one I've seen that had no typos, and also did not urge you to e-mail info, two of the red flags people are told to watch for.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default a

Whew....and you can't change your account info for 30 days!

That would make dumb joe ebayer in the shit for a while, huh!?

Seriously, someone changes your login info, and you think it's normal for 30 days?!
    -Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i actually kept getting one that wanted 6.60 a year or so ago- i got maybe three, they looked just like the scam ones-
    it really WAS ebay! haha- they suspended my account, i had a credit card change of number and they couldnt process the fee.
    all is fine now though---
    if it's really ebay, you'll find out soon enough, and they should be cool about it

willie

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got one that was much more convincing than that. It was either a really good coincedence or a damn good scam. I had just recieved my fidelity star (1000+ feedback) and got an e-mail explaining how e-bay was offering a 1 month 10% discount to e-bayers who recieved their fidelity star. It would also apply to e-bayers who had recieved their fidelity star previously. It used very impressive e-bay like photos, no typos, asked for no information to be submit, just a click of a link to activate the discount. My guess is it was one of those programs that leaches stored passwords, the scams get better all the time in my opinion..watch out

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got one that was much more convincing than that. It was either a really lucky coincedence or a damn good scam. I had just recieved my fidelity star (1000+ feedback) and got an e-mail explaining how e-bay was offering a 1 month 10% discount to e-bayers who recieved their fidelity star. It would also apply to e-bayers who had recieved their fidelity star previously. It used very impressive e-bay like photos, no typos, asked for no information to be submit, just a click of a link to activate the discount. My guess is it was one of those programs that leaches stored passwords, the scams get better all the time in my opinion..watch out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I just had to get re-verified with ID verify last week as I changed my account info.

They made me send in 2 scanned forms of ID to get it back. Maybe this is the reason I had to go through all that bs.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got this one about 8 times from different addresses.

Hi, please add another $12 for shipping to New Brunswick.
    frhjtmtk-uscb@msn.com wrote:
    Hello, what is the shipping cost to New Hampshire?

--------------------

Question from: ebrouq
    Title of item: XBOX Game Console w/ DVD Playe
    Seller: tratuega
    Starts: Jan-29-03 19:51:23 PDT
    Ends: Feb-05-03 19:51:23 PDT
    Price: Starts at $32.58
    To view the item, go to: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=662476727

Visit eBay, The World's Online Marketplace TM at
    http://www.ebay.com
    Do you Yahoo!?
    Yahoo! SitemBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site desoign software

I don't know where that url is but I clicked it once(like a fool) to see what it was all about. I got a page that said "invalid item". But, it did erase all of my cookies. Not telling what else it screwed up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always get the ones that say that I need to give them my nfo or else but account will be suspended because they tried to verify by making a small withdrawal or something like that on my debit card. The best way to tell if it is a fake, wait 1 week and then try to go to the link. I will do that, and the link will magically not be there. hmm, i wonder why.

i am also not an idiot and know how much money i keep in my checking account, so if there was a withdrawal, there would be no way it got an overdraft.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i just got the first ebay letter pasted and its a little disconcerting because previously that email acct had been spam free and it is in fact the one i use for ebay. on the other hand i havent used ebay for over a year now so i couldnt care even if it was real. thats my sub topic- how i broke a fun and costly ebay addiction
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON