Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NES Club [3/04/04] - Isolated Warrior

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES Club [3/04/04] - Isolated Warrior

This week's game was chosen by Zubiac666. Next week's game will be chosen by EnemyZero. Please PM me by Wednesday with your game so we can post screenshots and the rom. Also, include your challenge if you want to include one.

Isolated Warrior

Download the Rom: http://www.bagofjews.com/~dre/NES/rom/isolwarr.zip Thanks Bratwurst

Please keep all comments about this game inside this thread and include the following:

Opinion: What did you like and dislike? Was it as good as you remembered? How does the game compare to arcade or other system if applicable?
    Platform: Was it played on NES, emulated on PC, GBA, etc?
    Progress: How far did you get in the game?
    Challenge: If applicable, did you complete the challenge? Remember that those using emulators should not use built in features to make the challenges easier.

The Club Member list is below:
    Cuewarrior
    Oobgarm
    Zubiac666
    EnemyZero
    Bratwurst
    Icarwngs55
    Gamemaster_ca_2003
    Jive3D
    Dr.Morbis
    Nesman85
    Ze_ro
    Gideon
    Portnoyd
    Postermen
    Kaine23
    Goodwill Hunter
    Damon Plus
    Balloon Fight
    Scooterb23
    Sotenga
    TRM
    Alex Kidd
    Spoon
    Atariboy
    Classicgamesdepot
    adaml
    TheRedEye
    Goblin
    slip81
    Hamsnibit
    AdamG
    Qixmaster
    DDCecil
    ArnoldRimmer83
    Brisco
    whoisKeel
    MarioAllStar2600
    Quintracker
    SniperCCJVQ
    Needle
    Sph1nx
    swlovinist
    ddockery
    chrisballer
    downfall
    vintagegamecrazy
    gamergary
    jgenotte
    supahzonik
    8-bit Master
    leonk
    Captain Yashiro
    jerkov
    Sofa King Gud
    Captain Nintendo
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmm.....this is actually a game that I don't own, but there seems to be some sort of problem with the ROM link. I'll give it a shot once I can find the ROM.

EDIT - Nevermind, right after I posted this the link was good.....
    "Everything that you've ever done, are doing now, or will ever do is a complete waste of time unless it directly involves Randy 'Macho Man' Savage." - random Amazon.com review

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Opinion: Isolated Warrior is a pretty good isometric SHMUP for the NES. I have a complete copy of this game in my collection, so I didn't use an emulator. One major problem with the game is the constant flickering. When too many enemies appear on screen at once (which happens quite often) the game will flicker and slow down. This could obviously be fixed using an emulator though. The graphics themselves look impressive, and your character's sprite is well detailed. The game does tend to get a little repetitive, but it is a shooter after all. I'd give the game an overall rating of 7.75 out of 10.

Platform: As stated above, I used the actual system (toaster).

Progress: It took me two tries to finish it, although I had played it before and beat it. The first time I died on the game's final boss, which is a pretty tough fight and is easily the hardest boss in the game. Some of the other bosses (especially the early ones) are pushovers. Shooter fans won't have much of a problem finishing this one within a day or so.

Challenge: I must have missed this. What was the challenge? To finish it or achieve a certain score?
    View My Current Game Collection!! My Complete Collection Page!!

Seeking These NES Games!! Willing To Trade or Sell Some To Me? NES Games I Don't Have!!

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Opinion: Wow, talk about something I haven't played before. This why I joined the NES club! At first I didn't recognize it but then the stage intro screen had me recall the graphic as something I had spotted years ago in a Nintendo Power preview. ...And that was it. Not a thought more to it.

Having said that I've played for an hour or so and conclude it's a good effort, but some serious issues that prevent me from wanting to add it to my physical cart collection. The perspective takes a little getting used to but falling into pits is way too easy, especially near the top of the screen because there's a point you cannot progress any further and start sliding to the side. That you die when you fall in those pits pisses me off! They could have just knocked some health or something. Anyhoo.

The graphical style and use of colors remind me of games released under Taxan, thick, abstract shapes defined by sharp contrasts of bright colors rather than similar hues and black outlines. It works well because everything stands out, which translates into a fair fight for a shmup.

The weapon options kind of SUCK. You can alternate between a straight laser and a spread gun with the select button but the latter is worthless. I find it quicker to clear the screen with the narrow laser shot which is much more powerful when charged up.

The challenge is great overall though, lots of different enemies on screen at once and they all have their varied behaviors. Look out for those purple Rygar guys.

Platform: FCE Ultra emulation. Is this cart particularly rare, incidentally? I have never seen it in the wild.

Progress: Level 7 but I cheated like a mug with the savestates.

Challenge: Yes, it's there.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Huh... I've seen this game countless times in my magazines, and every time I saw it, I thought for sure it was an Ikari Warriors rip... I always meant to give it a try, since it looked good, but never got around to doing it until now. I had no idea it scrolled on it's own.

It's a fun game, but can someone explain the powerup system to me? The W's seem to alter the angle on your shots, but what do the L's and small capsules do? I can never tell what I'm doing, and I get stuck with that 45 degree double shot that ends up being rather useless and hard to aim.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

You can switch your guns by pressing the select button. L improves the laser shot, while the smaller capsules build up your stock of bombs. When you jump in the air you hit some button combination (down and fire, I think) and you let loose with a ring of grenades.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

first glance, wow, the graphics are pretty sweet for nes. but for me, that's about all this game has going for it. i guess i'm just not a fan of the 45 degree angle shooter type games...

granted, i didn't play much...i walked into some bubbles that looked like background and died, and that was it for me.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Opinion: I've only played a few hours so far, but I plan to continue. The graphics are fairly good for NES. I was confused as others apparently were with the weapon choice aspect. The wide angle shot is worthless IMHO and I couldn't figure out (before) how to change it back to lasers.

I kept feeling like I was playing Zaxxon because of the 45 degree angle.

My biggest problem is the game just feels slow. I like Shmups as much as the next person, but it feels too restrictive and slow. Falling into pits suck as you quite often can't tell that it's a trouble spot to begin with.

Platform: So far just my GBA SP with flashcart.

Progress: Level 3, but intend to play more.

Challenge: The game is challenging, but Zubiac didn't propose a special challenge for this week.

D

**** Edit- Captain Nintendo added. Welcome CN.
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Platform - FCEUltra

Opinion - Neat idea, not necessarily well done. It's Zaxxon meets contra. I have a hard time with the depth perception knowing which enemies are in the air, on the ground, where to aim... etc. Frustrating but this idea has some promise.

Progress - 1st level made my head ache.

Challenge - n/a

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

In all my years of gaming, NEVER have I seen a combination of Zaxxon and Outzone! What an unorthodox title this is. Its graphical style reminds me of Base Wars for some reason. Anyway, my general opinion for all types of shmups are pretty much the same, and that opinion is, on a scale of one to awesome, it's super-great. The hit detection is a bit off sometimes... I couldn't tell if I was firing at the first boss' weak point, and he took me ages to slaughter. But it's a decent title nonetheless. I only have it in ROM form for now, I only beat level 1 so far, and the challenge of the game is moderately difficult, but I imagine it increases as you go further into the game. Hey, how many levels do you have to get through anyway? My guess is seven... anyone know?

Anyhoo, I'm giving it 3 1/2 Boots to the Head out of 5. Yes, I've decided on an official score rating.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Opinion: I have never played this game before. I wish the guys came at you a little slower, so you werent ALWAYS shooting. Over lots of fun, nice difficulty to.

Platform: I emulated this game on ROCKNES

Progress: Not very far, but I am still playing.

Challenge: N/A
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did anyone notice the name of that site? Bag of Jews!
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The jews go in the bag.

Unfortunately my free ride is over, I shall scurry to find another suitable host in the coming week.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sotenga
    Hey, how many levels do you have to get through anyway? My guess is seven... anyone know?
    I'm pretty sure there was six levels. They all look primarily the same, except for different background colors and such. They are pretty well detailed, just not very distinctive. Am I the only one thats actually cared to finish this game yet? Am I the only one that actually owns this game?

Seeking These NES Games!! Willing To Trade or Sell Some To Me? NES Games I Don't Have!!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The isometric perspective takes getting used to, but after some practice, this is a fairly solid shooter. Only two gripes I have with this are that you take a lot of damage whenever you get hit by anything and health power ups don't pop up often. I also found the level where you ride the motorcycle to be annoying cause for some reason the jumping controls don't feel very responsive in that level. Also there are 7 levels, but you have to get through the first 6 levels without using any continues to get to the 7th one. A lot of the later levels are nearly impossible when you're not powered up anyways.

This game was designed by the same developers who made Burai Fighter, which was an even more difficult shooter.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Platform: Emulated via FCEUltra.

Opinion: This game is pretty damn hard because the guys come at you a zillion mph. I really dont care for the perspective that much either, because it is a little hard to aim. A neat idea, but it could have been executed a little better.

Progress: Heh, almost beat the first level.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldRimmer83
    I also found the level where you ride the motorcycle to be annoying cause for some reason the jumping controls don't feel very responsive in that level. Also there are 7 levels, but you have to get through the first 6 levels without using any continues to get to the 7th one. A lot of the later levels are nearly impossible when you're not powered up anyways.
    Wow, I didn't know anything about a 7th level. I don't think I'd be able to make it to the end without dying a continue. That motorcycle level is a pain, plus I always seem to fall in a pit or two.

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldRimmer83
    This game was designed by the same developers who made Burai Fighter, which was an even more difficult shooter.
    Wasn't Isolated Warrior made by INTV while Burai Fighter was made by Taxan? I agree with you though, I have Burai Fighter too, and it is much harder than Isolated Warrior IMO. It (Burai Fighter) resembles Section Z an awful lot.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Interesting game. Never heard of it before today.

I'd agree that the enemies come too fast, and many times I thought I was hitting an enemy (especially the boss?? character I came across) but it wouldn't do anything.

It's not the kind of game I'd spend a lot of time playing.

2 calzones out of 5 for me...
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Ah, now that I know what I'm doing with all the powerups and bombs and such, the game is a lot more enjoyable... the collision detection could really use some work though. There are many times where it looks like I should be hitting an enemy, but I'm not... then they then fly right into me. Very frustrating.

I've only managed to get up to somewhere in the middle of level 2. When you die and lose all your powerups, you suddenly don't have enough firepower to really deal with the enemies anymore, since they come at you so fast. You can only get in one or two hits before they either fly off the screen, or kamikaze right into you.

--Zero

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CueWarrior
    Opinion:
    D

**** Edit- Captain Nintendo added. Welcome CN.
    Thanks, glad to be aboard

When I last checked the link it came up no good. I will try it again later

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.