Thread: Wireless play question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wireless play question

ok so Ive finally made the decision to try this xbox live and ps2 online play my question is whats the best wireless connection hub deal out for these systems I recently saw a nyko one at best buy that sold for 100.00 bucks or so and it said it was compatible with box systems but a friend was telling me that the unit does not let you surf online while you play not that I would want 2 but he said you always have to disconnect your pc broadband connection with that device ??? Im not 2 familiar with any of this so some of your input would be appreciated can any one give me some tips on which one I should buy post some pics perhaps.

thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

As far as I know there's no hub, wireless or otherwise, that would prevent you from surfing as well as playing online. I mean, that's what hubs DO -- allow computers to share connections.

I've never tried to hook my PS2 up wireless but just thinking about it, I would think you would need two wireless adapters. Both the PS2 and XBox have Ethernet jacks on the back, so I would think you would need one that that the PS2 would plug into, and then another one by your high speed connection. Think of it like Walkie-Talkies, you're going to have to have a sender and a receiver.

For your main connection you'll want at least a hub but I'd recommend a switch (the price is negligable anymore). that way it will handle IP assignments and act as a firewall too. For the one that your console plugs into, you only need a WAP (Wireless Access Point).

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What I use for my xbox and laptop online is a Linksys Wireless B router, a wireless B network card, and a wireless B receiver for the xbox. I am pretty sure that from the receiver you could hook it into another hub and then into the separate systems. Basically, I would go with a wireless router, preferably linksys, its the most respected brand in networking. Don't underestimate the power of browsing online and playing a game at the same time.

Also, watch out with switches. Unless you have more than one assigned IP address from your broadband provider, you will either have to A: pay for another one or B: see if they will give you another one for free.
    http://www.davidwhite.cjb.net
    CitizenWhite(at)hotmail(dot)com