Thread: Replacing X-box disc drive. How hard is it, What is the $?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Replacing X-box disc drive. How hard is it, What is the $?

The Thomson drive on my X-Box is going out. I don't want to get another X-Box because I have some save files on my HD that I can't transfer, or, atleast I don't know how. These files won't fit on my memory unit, won't save to it, or can't be copied. I quess I have five questions?

How hard is it to replace the disc drive in an X-Box?

How much will it cost?

Is there any other way to transfer memory? Be it system link, to computer and back, etc?

Am I better off getting another X-Box and switching the HDs instead?

Is there anyone that would be interested in fixing and modding it for me?

I am just thinking of getting the thing modded and the drive replaced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The hardest part about the above, is acquiring an Xbox compatible DVD disc drive. The lllama sells 'em http://www.llamma.com/xbox/ShoppingC...components.htm .

Popping the old one out, and the new one is VERY easy. A bit easier than putting a DVD drive into a computer (no master/slave concerns at all).

Is there any other way to transfer memory? Be it system link, to computer and back, etc?

Am I better off getting another X-Box and switching the HDs instead?
    Only by modding the unit, and then FTPing in with your PC over ethernet. If you buy a new Xbox, and try to swap the HD's, you'd find it impossible, as they HD and mobos are "locked' together with encryption, that only modding the unit will allow you to crack. If you bought another Xbox, the smart thing to do would be to pull the DVD drive from the new Xbox, and put it in the old one. That would save your saves, and it would void your new Xboxes (90 day ) warranty.

I have new Xbox DVD drives, but I don't really have enough to meet my repair business's needs, let alone selling them online. Sorry.

FYI a PC DVD drive will not work, unless the PC drive is heavily modified.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a thought.

If it's just the DRE then you can replace the laser pretty cheap :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3081788723

And the whole thompson drive goes for around $40-$50 on Ebay.
    In fact I have one if you're interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@Omnedon- Thanks for the info and link. Too bad you didn't have any extra drives. I am looking at getting the Samsung Modified SD-616T, and, a Enhanced Cooling Kit. Fan Splitter and Nvidia Heatsink.
    Do you have any experience with those?

@jonjandran- I would be interested in a new drive, but, I wanted to stay away from the Thompson drive. I will send you a pm if things change. That lens in the auction you linked me too seems like a cheap alternative, but, is it any better than the one that is already in my X-Box? I wouldn't want to buy one just to have it crap out in me in a year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've tried swapping good lasers into bad Thomson drives. It's pretty hit and miss, as it seems the focus gain on a laser is set to the specific characteristics of the drive it's in. One mm of difference in height between what that laser is set for, and the drive it ends up in can cause DRE.

The new drives I have (these are brand NEW, never used, not recovered from other Xboxes like the Llamas) are Thomsons. They are a bit different from regular Thomsons, as the tray has a gloss finish, instead of the matte finish I see on all the dead Thomsons I have to fix. They are a bit louder than original Thomsons too. They are still Thomsons though, nothing special.

I don't have a fan splitter on 'my' Xbox, as it does not seem to need it, but I have put them in Xboxes that had random heat lock ups. I've yet to see a heatsink application really solve any problems, but perhaps I've never seen the right problem.

Being a repair guy who sees a LOT of Xboxes, the first Samsung I saw in a 'parts' Xbox, went into My Xbox. The next one I saw went into a game store owner who is a buddy of mine's Xbox. I see them so rarely, that even I have a hard time getting them. If I was going to go with the PC drive, I'd do the mod myself, but with a Samsung in mine, I don't really feel the need right now..
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!