Thread: Is this Sharp Super Famicom TV SF1 worth it? How rare?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is this Sharp Super Famicom TV SF1 worth it? How rare?

Just drooling over THIS SFC/Sharp TV combo at www.videogameimports.com

How rare is it??

Anyone here have one?

Is it worth the £254??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I honestly cant tell you if its worth it, but don't forget about shipping costs.

It looks to be a 20" TV which can weigh 50+ lbs easy. Ship it EMS and you could be paying for the TV twice over.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sisko
    I honestly cant tell you if its worth it, but don't forget about shipping costs.

It looks to be a 20" TV which can weigh 50+ lbs easy. Ship it EMS and you could be paying for the TV twice over.
    Twice over? Heh, try more like 3-4 times over. EMS is expesive as hell, and you wouldn't want to ship it any other way because theres nothing you can do if the item get's "lost". And believe me, it happens, happened to me once and I dont order a lot overseas.

Anyway, I had a Famicom, Disk System, and about 40 games shipped over EMS that weighed NOTHING near a whole TV and paid 95.00 for shipping. EMS will kill you. I suggest you don't buy it unless you have a cool grand laying around you don't mind giving up.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

EMS is super-pricey. I would never have a TV sent EMS. But I have only ever encountered EMS from Asia.

VGI is located in the UK. Which means you can have them ship UPS or Royal Mail insured or similar.

I guesstimated it using Fedex rate calculator and got a $200 cost for 4-5 day delivery.

Insured regular USPS type mail that takes 7-21 days would probably be half that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hmm, yeah, Video Game Imports.com has a lot of good stuff, but they aren't worth it for most stuff (haven't tried to figure out S&H on some of the heavier items, but I think the difference wouldn't come close to making up for some of the deals to be had on Yahoo! Auctions Japan -- sort of haveta cringe thinking about what a Sharp x68K + 50 games would've cost bought piecemeal from them).

So if this TV weighs around 30 kilograms (that's ~66 pounds, which may be a bit low for this item, but then again maybe not) then shipping via EMS would be 36,000 yen, or ~$324 for shipping only from Japan. The cost @ Videogameimports.com is currently £254.47 for this item, which is $470.56, and if you suppose shipping is going to be roughly $200 for 5-6 day air (personally I'd take a slower and cheaper method) then your total costs are going to be roughly $670.56 for one Sharp Super Famicom TV.

That means if you can find one of these in Japan for less than $346 you'll be able to have it sent more cheaply than from Video Game Imports (which assumes my weight figure is correct). I would have it sent via surface mail myself. Some folks have horror stories about Surface Mail; it's very slow but you shouldn't have any problems with it. The biggest problem here is the glass tube, obviously, which is much more fragile than a conventional cartridge based system/games. Again, I'll be able to give a better opinion on this once I get that x68K system, because it's coming with a monitor.