Thread: Gamecube and its third party support situation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gamecube and its third party support situation

Even though the XBOX is my gaming system of choice right now I think it a travesty that Nintendos gamecube is basically being dismissed by the majority of third party publishers and developers
    Will the Gamecube be the next Dreamcast? i.e. shortened lifespan and never truly tapped capabilities? Will the third party support continue to dwindle? what is your opinion on this?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Gamecube and its third party support situation

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922
    Even though the XBOX is my gaming system of choice right now I think it a travesty that Nintendos gamecube is basically being dismissed by the majority of third party publishers and developers
    Will the Gamecube be the next Dreamcast? i.e. shortened lifespan and never truly tapped capabilities? Will the third party support continue to dwindle? what is your opinion on this?
    I think this topic has been beaten into the ground. I also have an Xbox and Gamecube, but the fact of the matter is Gamecube has already passed the DC in system lifespan, titles, and 3rd party support. While 3rd party companies are focusing more on PS2 and Xbox, games at least still are being made for the GC. It may die out sooner than Xbox and PS2, but GC is still alive, and is no DC!! Poor DC, RIP, it was/is one of my very favorite systems.
    E.---
    DC--- It's STILL thinking....!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wasnt trying to say that the cube WAS the next Dreamcast I was simply asking if we would see a similiar downward spiral in game production LIKE the Dreamcast not only from the third parties but from Nintendos support of the system also.
    Therefore in the end the system would never be truly utilized to its true capabilities LIKE the Dreamcast.
    We have always had short lived gaming consoles that had at the very least good potential for great games 32X and Saturn are prime examples of that.
    We have also seen many systems that overstayed thier welcome Atari2600 (no flaming please ) and PSX are prime examples of that.
    Some consoles have perfect lifespans for their time Supernes and Sega Genesis are good examples of perfected lifespans.
    Anyway I was just asking if anyone else here thought that the Gamecube might end up in the same Catagory as the DC meaning a truly wasted life that had so much potential. MAN NOW I SOUND LIKE OPRA

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, there IS the downward spiral for the GC right now, and I don't see it changing, so I think yes, it has a similar trend as the DC--just not as steep and sudden as the DC's was.....
    DC--- It's STILL thinking....!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can tell you that mathematically, Gamecube has as many third party titles being released for it as the XBOX.

Also, more "shit" titles by third party developers doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

PS2 will be in front for a while to come, but so what?

I'm not a "fan-boy" for any system, but to make a statement like that is fairly inaccurate.

However, I have no desire to debate the topic.
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, you don't have to worry yourself about how many games a system have. you have to worry about how many GREAT, must-have games a system have.

IMCO (In My Crazy Opinion) if a system has just one must-have title it is a worthy system to be bought and GC, like Dreamcast, have many great games.
    ♪ well, you've gotta be crazy, baby to want a guy like me
    yeah, you've gotta be out of your mind
    Crazy! ♪

http://www.panzerdragoon.net/ - Nice place for Dragon Riders!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well we all know why nintendo has small 3rd party support..there policies regaurding 3rd parties are ridiculous and they stab themselves in the foot....yeah DC was a great console...gamecube is an amazing console..but he has a point...it HAS already passed the DC's lifespan...and im sure it will last untill next gen consoles...
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

The only third party game that I really feel like I missed out on by only having a Gamecube was Sega's ESPN NHL Hockey... I can't stand EA's awful hockey games, and I was really hoping to get a good Gamecube one, but I guess I'll have to settle for NHL 2K3. Losing companies like Eidos and Acclaim is no big loss. Capcom has made plenty of excellent 3rd party games that have made the Gamecube worthwhile.

--Zero

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, I don't want to hijack the thread here, but something that's been bugging me for a while is why do people give the Dreamcast library so much credit? I have a Dreamcast, and I have a stack of games for it, but I can't even remember the last time I even switched the system on. I think it's now the least played system in my house. The only exclusive game for Dreamcast that I played thoroughly was Toy Commander, which is one of my favorite games of all time. Record of Lodoss War looks like it has potential, but I haven't been inspired to play through much of it yet. Soul Calibur was fun too, but I sold it to a friend a while ago. Seriously, where are all the great games that people constantly praise? I remember some journalist compared the DC to the N64, bitching that the DC had a bigger and better library yet wasn't as successful as the N64. Personally, my N64 probably got more than 100 times the playtime my DC got and I think the N64 has a far, far better selection of games to choose from. I'm not trying to start a flame war or an arguement here, I like the DC, but I just think it gets too much credit in the classic gaming community. But I wouldn't mind seeing a list of great games to check out, maybe I am missing something after all......

To get back on topic, I also think the lack of support for the GC is disappointing, yet somewhat good at the same time. Like someone else said, most third party games are crap that I couldn't care less about, so a lot of it is no big loss. My brother has a GC that I frequently play, and I believe that we have way more GC games than PS2 games. GC has a lot of good first party titles and a few third party exclusives which are gems (the Resident Evils, Viewtiful Joe, and yeah I think Final Fantasy: CC is a blast with 4 players). In fact, if it wasn't for the Gran Turismo and Grand Theft Auto series (along with a title here and there like Rygar and Castlevania), I would see little reason to even own a PS2. I think easily 90-95% of PS2 releases are garbage that I'm not even remotely interested in. I hope that GC sales remain strong, because I would hate to see Nintendo pull the plug prematurely. I'm really looking forward to more first party titles, and Killer 7 looks like one of the more intriguing games that I've seen in a while.

And I still can't understand the success of the Xbox........this is not an exaggeration: There is literally not one Xbox game that I'd be interested in owning. That mech game with the ridiculously huge joystick looks somewhat cool, but that's about it. Any other games worth playing on Xbox have also been released on PS2 and/or GC.
    "Everything that you've ever done, are doing now, or will ever do is a complete waste of time unless it directly involves Randy 'Macho Man' Savage." - random Amazon.com review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Last I heard, the cube didn't have Ninja Gaiden or Panzer Dragoon Orta. Or Halo. Or Toejam & Earl 3.

The DC's library is noteworthy in that most of it is pretty playable. There's a lot of great games, a bunch of decent games, and a few craptacular ones. Quite frankly, the ratio of good to bad is definitely more weighted towards good for the DC.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote="ubersaurus"]Last I heard, the cube didn't have Ninja Gaiden or Panzer Dragoon Orta. Or Halo. Or Toejam & Earl 3.
    quote]

Well, the only good panzer games werent released on the xbox, halo I got on my pc and its better, ninja gaiden sucks (SHINOBI ) as does lol toejam and earl.
    Wolverine

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    The DC's library is noteworthy in that most of it is pretty playable. There's a lot of great games, a bunch of decent games, and a few craptacular ones. Quite frankly, the ratio of good to bad is definitely more weighted towards good for the DC.
    That, and the number of obscure titles that came out for it. Dreamcast has something for everyone; excellent Sega sports titles, likely the single best fighting game library, RPGs, racing games and enjoyable action/adventure games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And I still can't understand the success of the Xbox........this is not an exaggeration: There is literally not one Xbox game that I'd be interested in owning. That mech game with the ridiculously huge joystick looks somewhat cool, but that's about it. Any other games worth playing on Xbox have also been released on PS2 and/or GC.
    gosh that is so true,i have all the systems and my xbox and ps2 games togther don't even come close to the amount of gamecube games i have.in fact all the xbox games i have exccept for maybe two games are those blockbuster excusives.

Last I heard, the cube didn't have Ninja Gaiden or Panzer Dragoon Orta. Or Halo. Or Toejam & Earl 3.
    and for this i will say who cares,i must be missing something becouse i've played all of these and i didnt care for any of them.halo to me i don't understand at all.as first person shooters go i would always pick timesplitters 2 over anything.halo bores me so much.when worked in electronics at walmart i use dto ask people questions when they would pick out a system.i would notice must parents would be very uninformed about everything so i would try and help them out deciding better which to get.i would say 90% of the time someone would want an xbox all they would say was halo.it baffled me so much.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jerkov
    Okay, I don't want to hijack the thread here, but something that's been bugging me for a while is why do people give the Dreamcast library so much credit? I have a Dreamcast, and I have a stack of games for it, but I can't even remember the last time I even switched the system on. I think it's now the least played system in my house. The only exclusive game for Dreamcast that I played thoroughly was Toy Commander, which is one of my favorite games of all time. Record of Lodoss War looks like it has potential, but I haven't been inspired to play through much of it yet. Soul Calibur was fun too, but I sold it to a friend a while ago. Seriously, where are all the great games that people constantly praise? I remember some journalist compared the DC to the N64, bitching that the DC had a bigger and better library yet wasn't as successful as the N64. Personally, my N64 probably got more than 100 times the playtime my DC got and I think the N64 has a far, far better selection of games to choose from. I'm not trying to start a flame war or an arguement here, I like the DC, but I just think it gets too much credit in the classic gaming community. But I wouldn't mind seeing a list of great games to check out, maybe I am missing something after all......

To get back on topic, I also think the lack of support for the GC is disappointing, yet somewhat good at the same time. Like someone else said, most third party games are crap that I couldn't care less about, so a lot of it is no big loss. My brother has a GC that I frequently play, and I believe that we have way more GC games than PS2 games. GC has a lot of good first party titles and a few third party exclusives which are gems (the Resident Evils, Viewtiful Joe, and yeah I think Final Fantasy: CC is a blast with 4 players). In fact, if it wasn't for the Gran Turismo and Grand Theft Auto series (along with a title here and there like Rygar and Castlevania), I would see little reason to even own a PS2. I think easily 90-95% of PS2 releases are garbage that I'm not even remotely interested in. I hope that GC sales remain strong, because I would hate to see Nintendo pull the plug prematurely. I'm really looking forward to more first party titles, and Killer 7 looks like one of the more intriguing games that I've seen in a while.

I think the reason why DC gets so much love in the retro community is because of all the 2D games for the system and because it is shunned by the mainstream. People shake their head like they feel sorry for me when I get excited to see DC games for sale. I think the N64 gets bashed pretty good on the board because it's lack of 2D games. Check how much people love the Saturn on the board. I think the Saturn is a great system to collect for but don't tell me it was a better system then the PSX or N64. THere was a poll for worst 32/64 bit system and N64 was on it but the Saturn was not. I owned a Saturn from the beginning and games just weren't anywhere as FUN as the N64 or PSX. I think sometimes if a system or a game is halfway descent but is rare it clouds a person's judgement. Off the top of my head I can think of two games that people here over hype. Dracula X on PC Engine and Radiant Silvergun for the Saturn. THey are great games but people here act like nothing in their genres can come even close to them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone needing 50 reasons to have a Xbox, please just look at the 50 favorite Xbox games threads at classic discussions forum. (which I'm too lazy to just link right now )
    ♪ well, you've gotta be crazy, baby to want a guy like me
    yeah, you've gotta be out of your mind
    Crazy! ♪

http://www.panzerdragoon.net/ - Nice place for Dragon Riders!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonyvortex
    gosh that is so true,i have all the systems and my xbox and ps2 games togther don't even come close to the amount of gamecube games i have.in fact all the xbox games i have exccept for maybe two games are those blockbuster excusives.

and for this i will say who cares,i must be missing something becouse i've played all of these and i didnt care for any of them.halo to me i don't understand at all.as first person shooters go i would always pick timesplitters 2 over anything.halo bores me so much.when worked in electronics at walmart i use dto ask people questions when they would pick out a system.i would notice must parents would be very uninformed about everything so i would try and help them out deciding better which to get.i would say 90% of the time someone would want an xbox all they would say was halo.it baffled me so much.
    Just because you didn't like the games doesn't mean a lot of other people didn't or make them crappy games. Obviously the X-box just doesn't have library you interested in. PS2 is supposed to be the greatest system if you go off of how many have been sold. I haven't bought a new game for it in 15 months. My favorite system right now is the Gamecube btw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just because you didn't like the games doesn't mean a lot of other people didn't or make them crappy games. Obviously the X-box just doesn't have library you interested in. PS2 is supposed to be the greatest system if you go off of how many have been sold. I haven't bought a new game for it in 15 months. My favorite system right now is the Gamecube btw
    i didnt mean to come off as biased as im sure i did.i work in a used cd/dvd/game place so i get differant opinions at all times of the day.in a off way i was just stating that yes i dont care for the games i see out for xbox and even ps2.im lucky that i get to borrow games as they come in so i make sure to try everything i can .

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whatever.

Th Cube has the best games... right after PS2. Just because the customers are stupid and bypassing the Cbe doesn't change my love for it.
    Wakka Wakka Wakka - CHOMP -
    NINTENDO: NOW YOU'RE PLAYING WITH POWER
    "Have You Played Atari Today?"