Thread: NES Club [3/11/04] - Cocoron!

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES Club [3/11/04] - Cocoron!

This week's game was chosen by Bratwurst as I never heard from Enemy Zero. Next week's game will be chosen by Icarwngs55 . Please PM me by Wednesday with your game so we can post screenshots and the rom. Also, include your challenge if you want to include one.

Cocoron

Download the Rom: http://www.angelfire.com/apes/madmeat/Cocoron.zip Thanks Bratwurst

Please keep all comments about this game inside this thread and include the following:

Opinion: What did you like and dislike? Was it as good as you remembered? How does the game compare to arcade or other system if applicable?
    Platform: Was it played on NES, emulated on PC, GBA, etc?
    Progress: How far did you get in the game?
    Challenge: If applicable, did you complete the challenge? Remember that those using emulators should not use built in features to make the challenges easier.

The Club Member list is below:
    Cuewarrior
    Oobgarm
    Zubiac666
    EnemyZero
    Bratwurst
    Icarwngs55
    Gamemaster_ca_2003
    Jive3D
    Dr.Morbis
    Nesman85
    Ze_ro
    Gideon
    Portnoyd
    Postermen
    Kaine23
    Goodwill Hunter
    Damon Plus
    Balloon Fight
    Scooterb23
    Sotenga
    TRM
    Alex Kidd
    Spoon
    Atariboy
    Classicgamesdepot
    adaml
    TheRedEye
    Goblin
    slip81
    Hamsnibit
    AdamG
    Qixmaster
    DDCecil
    ArnoldRimmer83
    Brisco
    whoisKeel
    MarioAllStar2600
    Quintracker
    SniperCCJVQ
    Needle
    Sph1nx
    swlovinist
    ddockery
    chrisballer
    downfall
    vintagegamecrazy
    gamergary
    jgenotte
    supahzonik
    8-bit Master
    leonk
    Captain Yashiro
    jerkov
    Sofa King Gud
    Captain Nintendo
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is Bratwurst's preview:

This is the rom hack that translates the game to English.

Cocoron is a competent Mega Man rip-off with some very unique twists. You're able to design your own character in a sense, with several possible combinations of heads, bodies and weapons. Varying weights affect your jumping, your choice of body affects durability or even flight, and the weapons are not only varied but can also be upgraded through power ups in the game. Later on you get to make more buddies as optional characters to play with.

The premise is that you're a dreamer invited to the world of dreams by Cocoron, some floating polka dotted manatee who needs your help rescuing Rua, the princess. But all is not as it seems!!!

D
    DP Feedback

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Being able to customize your characters in this game is a nice touch. Also gives the game replay value for if you want to try different combinations. Also the different paths you choose to get from level to level is a different approach from how you usually select levels in games.

Otherwise I don't have much to really add about this game. It's decent if you like the Megaman games.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I will run my mouth about this one a little later on, but for now I shall simply issue a challenge for those hankering for one:

Challenge: Defeat the card-themed boss at the end of the king's castle stage without taking a hit.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can get past the card boss without getting hit, up until his last form. I usually get hit then.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Wow, this is a pretty neat little game. I was glad to see that I happened to have it on my NesterDC disc (Good thing I grabbed all those translations back when I made it!). It's definitely a Mega Man clone, but the way you can create your character from scratch is a huge plus.

I thought the actual levels were a little disappointing though. The way they sort of "merge" together to show that you're actually travelling to somewhere from somewhere else was really neat, but the levels just seemed a little too short to me.

The bosses were pretty neat too, although I've only fought two of them so far, the fairy queen and the ice dragon. I'll have to spend some more time with this one later.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This game is like Mega Man on LSD. I always wonder how it would have been recieved over here.

PROS: there is a lot of ingenuity about. Interacting directly with the background is cool (ie: jumping on trains). I like the uniqueness of the bosses. My favourite aspect though is the virtually unlimited replayability. It sort of reminds me of Final Fantasy 1.

CONS: I think that many levels are too short and too easy. Also, if you happen to pick the wrong body combinations, you will have very stiff play control (try being a heavy-set tank-robot). However, having different party members can help you avoid using the wrong member on the wrong level.

Overall, it's a great game -- if you can get into it. Reminds me of Clash At Demonhead: you HAVE to give this game at least an hour to really start liking it (atleast I did).

I'll have to try out the challenge this week. Nice pick Bratwurst!
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Opinion: Ah, time to pontificate. I only recently got into a Famicom kick and learned about this game a few months ago. It is indeed a Mega Man clone in some respects which makes me wonder if they possibly used the same engine, stole it or bought it from Capcom or whatever. This is pure speculation. The sound effect that is made when your character lands and the play control is just uncanny. Enough of that though!

I really like the music in this one, melodic and unique enough to be distinguishable for each level. The bosses are awesome, large and detailed, but I would say the levels themselves are uninspired. There are some neat bits here and there like the shooting stars or trains you hop on but overall it's a straight-through platformer. It seems as if more attention was given to the enemy and character animations themselves. For me though the graphics and the character creation gimmick really saves it.

Has anyone figured out the differences between the heads other than the weight and hitpoints?

Supposedly a PC Engine 'port' was in the works but never came about, which is a shame because the screenshots I've seen of it look great.

Platform: Emulated on FCEUltra.

Progress: Beat it a while back but the last level is surprisingly difficult from what I remember.

Challenge: Not yet, Trying to avoid getting hit while fighting the pirate ship was hard too.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Played this game a while ago and it reminded me of Mega Man. Didn't really give it enough time to get into it but if you like Mega Man you should check this out. Played it on VirtuaNes and it was the translated version.
    Sorry Ryan, but your girlfriend is in another school.

Video games & manga (my manga scanlation group that scanlates video game manga) http://www.north101.net/Chara/vgm/index.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm embarassed to say that I've been too busy to spend serious time with this game this week. I intend to keep it on my flash cart and play it in the future.

When I did play it tho, it screamed mega man (as others have mentioned) and I'm a MM fanatic.

Great choice Bratwurst.

D
    DP Feedback

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is a fun game, but I havent had enough time to play it for a while.

It does remind me a lot like MM, but the eggs thrown in theres are just weird. At least you can play it for a long time.

Platform: emulated via FCE Ultra

Challenge: Someday, someday.