Thread: Gamestop employee discount being reduced to 15%

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Gamestop employee discount being reduced to 15%

Being a person who has had personally worked for the company for over a year and a half(in my mid 20's) , I was informed today that Gamestop is going to reduce the employee discount to a mere 15%(At least where I live), the second reduction employees have seen in three years. Although I think that the employee discount there is probably somewhat abused......this is definately not the way to approach the situation. By taking away the one thing many min. wage part timers enjoy to have working at a game store really angers me. Aside from my personal viewpoints of what I think of the company, I will keep them to myself...but reducing the perks of working at a low paying job anyways is not a successful way of pushing mag subscriptions and reservations. I would love to hear from other workers and if this is new news to you....I am sorry.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Gamestop employee discount being reduced to 15%

I work there once a month FOR the discount - I hadn't heard this news and it's downright stupid... At the very least, they should let employees "combo" the discount with a Gamestop card like they do at EB...

Reguardless of the discount, people still want the job - beats stocking shelves at the grocery store, I guess. If it wasn't for the other "perks" I make for myself, though, I'd seriously reconsider continuing through the summer once my internship at IBM starts up again...

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow, if the asshat RM of Northeast region of Gamestop *cough*Rich-I'm-Talking-To-You*cough* wasn't bad enough to make me want to leave (which I have), the discount would've driven me bonkers. That's rather heavy bullcrap there and if it weren't for the fact that our local EB is hell itself, I'd never go there again.

...oh wait. I don't anyway

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At least they still get one. Some of the stores I've worked at discontinued the employee discounts entirely except for on specified holiday dates. Basically stores don't give a flying fuck if their employees are happy and they're gonna end up with a bunch of friggin morons driving their sales into the shitter eventually. And I will laugh.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats stupid that they are reducing that. Thats kinda like part of your pay in a certain way!
    What i need: SNES games and a few 32x!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tell ya, I would like to feel sorry for ya, but I can't. I mean you shoiuld be happy you get a discount. I mean its enough that at alot of stores the employees get first crack at used stuff to begin with, then you whine about a 15%? If it was me I would be happy to have it.
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nobody is whining here, you have to work for GameStop to understand. I have been with the company over two years now and still going strong. I am angered to hear the discount being reduced to 15%. When I first started working for GS back in 2002, our discount was 25% then 20% now 15% I do not agree with this one bit, GS makes more money than any other Video Game strore ( Game Crazy, EB Games, ETC.)

I have not seen the discount go down to 15% in Colorado yet, but I am sure it is gonna happen. I LOVE working for GameStop and being around the games and I always will. Corporate just don't know how to run things at times.

Game ON
    I love ALL Video Games with all my heart and soul

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    Some of the stores I've worked at discontinued the employee discounts entirely except for on specified holiday dates.
    Quiet now, they'll hear you!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheVideoGameMaster
    I have not seen the discount go down to 15% in Colorado yet, but I am sure it is gonna happen.
    May 1st is the date it happens. Many managers have not told their employees yet. Our manager didn't tell us a thing, I had to find it out from someone else. Only after mentioning it to him did he divulge the info.

Quote Originally Posted by brykasch
    I tell ya, I would like to feel sorry for ya, but I can't. I mean you shoiuld be happy you get a discount. I mean its enough that at alot of stores the employees get first crack at used stuff to begin with, then you whine about a 15%? If it was me I would be happy to have it.
    Why complain? SInce the discount has been cut down TWICE in the past 3 years. It's always because "the current discount doesn't fit in with the current business model" or some other line that basically means they want to increase their profit margin. I'm glad I get a discount of some sort, but doing so just to make more money is ridiculous. It's not like they're hurting or anything.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I was working there it was 25 still (with 35% at Barnes & Nobles). It blows that it is getting lowered, but its' still higher then most places where you get the almighty 10%.

Of course, at this trend, it will be ten just in time for Christmas 2004. I bet you're all very excited
    I am in fact the guy that made the Raisins prototype worth thousands less by dumping it. "D'oh!!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hey at least you don't work at a Target. Our game selection is crap, and we only get 10% on prices for games that are too high anyway, and we wont match competitors prices. So enjoy your 15% on a much better selection and the ability to save more buying used.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going out on a limb ans assuming you've never worked retail before.
    If you have, then I'm assuming you've never worked for Gamestop before. Its not a good company to work for.

They pay crap and demand utter nonsense. IE: Remerchandise the entire store 2ce per week, for 3 weeks in a row because we at corporate can't make up our freaking minds. If you need to pull 60-70 hours per week to complete it, then oh well.

At least, thats what my region had to do when we were bought out. And the store I worked at only had 2 employees (me and my "boss") for the bulk of the time.

The employee discount is hands down the MAJOR, if not the ONLY, benefit working there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

That sucks for you guys. Sorry about that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I get 10% at Kmart and I'm happy with that. Take your 15% and be glad you even get anything off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I were younger I might have applied to work at a Gamestop or EB. It sounds fun to work in a job where you can talk videogames all day long. What? They pay you on top of it? Wow, Maybe I'm not too old after all...

Seriously, I work at a Staples and the employee discount is only on selected days usually once every month or two. During those days we get 12% off and the discout doesn't apply to computers.

From what I've read so far in this thread it sounds like Gamestop in the past was probably a bit overly generous with their employee discounts. As the company grew and they took on more and more employees they probably realized this and corrected it. Yeah it sucks to have something you already had taken away but as you grow up you learn that a job is a job and they aren't always fun or fair.

On another note, someone already mentioned it here but the fact that you guys get first crack at all traded oin games seems like a huge benefit to me. Its almost disheartening as a collector to know that pretty much all of the truely rare and collectable games will never make it to the shelves because of employees. Bad for us but definately a huge bones for you guys.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I worked at a department store where we go 40% off "professional attire" like pants, shoes, dresses. They dropped it to 20%. Lots of stores are dropping discounts because they're hard hit by the poor economy. Gamestop is just following the trend.

i think its better to drop a discount than have your job go bankrupt!
    Wakka Wakka Wakka - CHOMP -
    NINTENDO: NOW YOU'RE PLAYING WITH POWER
    "Have You Played Atari Today?"

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I mean its enough that at alot of stores the employees get first crack at used stuff to begin with.
    I agree here, Hell, I'd just be happy to know that if someone brought in a used copy of Stadium Events to trade in that I could get it!

Better even now that they stopped taking them in, employees can just BUY they games off the customer if they want.

"Oh, what's that, you have this odd cart with 3 games on it you won at a contest held by Nintendo a long time ago? We don't take in NES games anymore but I'll give you a crisp 20.00 bill for it right now if you'd like?

"sure!"

That's what I'd like...knowing that every day I work may bring me something cool! It's like hunting for games, while getting paid, and not having to go anywhere! So you lose 5-10% off your discount? Wow, you get the good games first!

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The game store i work at i dont really get a discount, but what i dont get in discount i have more than made up for in getting first pick at stuff that has come in for trade

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

I've been through 4 employee discount restructurings. I'm an old Funcoland employee, where we recieved 10% off, before the merger. At the same time, Babbage's employees were recieving 25% off. When we merged, the Funcoland discount was bumped to 25%. A few years later, down to 20, and now 15.

It sucks, but coroporate doesn't really care to listen to anyone making the money, doing the grunt work in their stores, so at this point, I just don't care. The thing that bothers me, is that states like NY have such a high % tax, that for the employees there, it covers tax and not much else.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I work in the IS department of a factory and none of us get a discount at all. Of course that might be because we don't make a consumer good, but still...