Thread: Power supply questions

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Power supply questions

Okay, I'm trying to learn more about hardware and have a lot of broken consoles here i'm working on fixing. First up: SMS 1.

The console says it requires DC 9V 850mA. I have an adapter here that says Power Base on it but it's DC 9V 1A. That's more amperage than the console says it requires... but IIRC, you can overshoot the amperage so long as the current type and voltage are correct, yes? What are the rules regarding this, I can't remember exactly. Some advice would be appreciated, just for my general understanding.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You are correct sir.

Also, even though Genny 1 power supplies are rated to very nearly the same as the SMS, their tips are not always SMS compatible. They are too short or too long (can't remember which) and don't usually connect well with the SMS.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Simplyfied if a machines says needs 9V 850mA this means that it will at MAX drain 850 mA so a powersupply of 850 or MORE is needed.

the voltage on the other hand can vary on most consoles like SNES,SMS,GEN there is a powerregulator 7805 suppling the mainboard. this supports in voltages from 7-35V DC inorder to power the units 5V output, 78xx = Positive voltage output 79xx Negative voltage output DONT CONFUSE!!!

also note that the original snes / nes adaptor is AC NOT DC, but a DC works better why you ask? for instance games like yoshi's island have an advanced copy protect witch causes the game to reset on some tv's when used with/without a RGB cable this is due to a construction error in the snes powersupply replace your orginal AC adaptor with a DC and the problem will be solved.
    Broken? fix it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrKitt
    Simplyfied if a machines says needs 9V 850mA this means that it will at MAX drain 850 mA so a powersupply of 850 or MORE is needed.

the voltage on the other hand can vary on most consoles like SNES,SMS,GEN there is a powerregulator 7805 suppling the mainboard. this supports in voltages from 7-35V DC inorder to power the units 5V output, 78xx = Positive voltage output 79xx Negative voltage output DONT CONFUSE!!!

also note that the original snes / nes adaptor is AC NOT DC, but a DC works better why you ask? for instance games like yoshi's island have an advanced copy protect witch causes the game to reset on some tv's when used with/without a RGB cable this is due to a construction error in the snes powersupply replace your orginal AC adaptor with a DC and the problem will be solved.
    Hmm... maybe in Sweden the SNES uses AC, but I know in the US, the NES power supply is AC, but the SNES is DC.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

not sure but last time ive checked nes and snes use same adaptor in europe, us is diffrent strange looking plug on the snes.. (modded many to standard dc plug). anyway a design error probably.. doesnt really matter.
    Broken? fix it.