3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Default Keeping Track of Memory Cards?

Does anyone have any useful and effective way of keeping track of memory cards? Last week, I picked up a new VMU and 4-bank memory card for my Dreamcast... counting what I already have, that makes a grand total of 2800 blocks of storage across four different cards, and there's pretty much no way I'm going to remember what's where.

--Zero

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should buy a memorycard that you can connect to your PC, Lik-Sang is offering them. With that you can track it very easy and you only need one memorycard.
    For myself, i only have 2 memorycards max for my systems, i just delete savegames i don't need anymore.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Well....
    With my memory cards, I am particularily glad that most of the on-brand kinds have mutiple colors. This has saved me stress, for the most part. That and the fact that I only buy Brand cards, i just feel safer with them. At one point i had all the game saves for each card listed in Excel or something, it worked, except i wasnt allways next to the computer, so that made things a little more difficult, so i gave up. Usually now i just use the browse feature to see whats on the card if its something old that ive played, but cant remember what card its on.

I have 8 Sony brand PSOne cards (all in different colors)
    7 PS2 cards (3 black, one with the Memory card label, one with the price tag on it (it was used) and the other no label at all, and the other 4 colors, Red is online games, blue is sports, green and smokey are not currently being used)
    5 Cube cards (a US 59, Japanese 59, a US 256, and 2 AC cards, one came with my game, the other was a roomates)
    1 XBox card (not that one really needs it)
    2 DC VMU's, different colors
    2 N64 cards, both with writing on the labels

cherry!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, just buy HUGE cards

i've got 10XX block card for my cube, hell, that's enough to save savegames of 100 games

pc-connectable cards are also a good way, it's also good for safety as you always have a backup if your card breaks
    -Jan

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

I use different labels and colors to be organized. I currently have too many cube cards (All 59 blocks unless noted)
    1 for Doshin the Giant
    1 for my current games I'm playing
    1 for old saves (251)
    1 for Japanese games
    1 for Japanese Animal Crossing E+
    3 for Animal Crossing towns
    Egbert, I miss you...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

i used to use a word file on my pc and typed in what games were on my dreamcast cards, but i lost interest in doing that and gave up on the idea...maybe ill update my lists again sometime though since it was a pretty good idea
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Best way? Either group the games together on each card by genre, or by which games you play the most.

I've used the idea of a spreadsheet/document on the PC to track my memory cards' contents. Since I play the most on the PS2, I keep my older games' data backed up the PC with my Sharkport. It works pretty well. The Dexdrive is good for PSOne saves.

I've got 4 different PS2 cards. I keep my EA Sports games on a red one, titles I'm currently playing on a gray one, racing games on a black one, and other games I might get the urge to play on a blue one.

My GCN card is getting full, so I may need another soon. The one I have now has a sticker on it, I prolly wouldn't put a sticker on a new one so I could differentiate between the two.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use a Sharkport 2 for my PSX/PS2 Needs, a Nexus 4 Meg W/Pc Link Cable for my Dreamcast Needs, and 2 Nintendo 64 ones for those needs. I would say go the route of buying PC Link Compatiable Cards, it saves a hell of alot of time searching thru cards, and you can hold far more then any memory card
    My Collection:
    http://www.webspawner.com/users/atariman/index.html

My Want/Trade List
    http://www.webspawner.com/users/atariman2/index.html

Curren Totals:
    Games: 327
    Systems: 12

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy
    You should buy a memorycard that you can connect to your PC,
    I have one actually... the Nexus Massive Memory Card Plus... however, I wasn't very impressed with the PC interaction. The software was rather buggy (to the point where I was worried it might corrupt existing saves), and I don't run Windows most of the time anyways. It's a nice feature to have, but I bought the card mostly because it held 8x what a normal VMU does.

Besides, transferring saves to/from the PC every time I want to play a game doesn't sound very fun (Luckily, my computer is right next to my Dreamcast anyways, but still).

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    well, just buy HUGE cards
    Unfortunately, that's not much of an option with the Dreamcast... Anything that holds more than a VMU just does it via bankswitching... so even though I have a card that holds 1600 blocks, I have to press a button to toggle through 8 seperate pages to find the right one.

I did buy a 251 block GC memory card and tucked away my 59 block one for safe keeping though. I was considering buying one of those 1000+ block ones, but I'm always wary of third party memory cards. I'd hate to make it all the way to the end of a game only to have the save file corrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Best way? Either group the games together on each card by genre, or by which games you play the most.
    Yeah, that sounds like the best idea. Stupid games like Soul Calibur lock their save files, but I guess there are ways around that.

At the moment, I just have two post-it notes that list what's on each card... but it's been edited so many times that it's hard to read, and probably unreliable (due to forgotten saves, forgotten moves, and however many times I started a game that created a random save on whatever card was in the machine at the time)..

--Zero

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

i used to sort my ps1 memory cards by genre. they all had different psm stickers on them so it made it easy to remember
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype