Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here ever the first to do something in a game?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Though probably not, I remember figuring out how to steal from the shop in Legend Of Zelda: Link Awakening for Game Boy. I seen it in Gamepro months later, too bad I never wrote them about it.

~Chris

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Though probably not, I remember figuring out how to steal from the shop in Legend Of Zelda: Link Awakening for Game Boy. I seen it in Gamepro months later, too bad I never wrote them about it.

~Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: d

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    I think I was the first to find the infinite lives glitch in Coleco tabletop DOnkey Kong.
    Ooh, what is this glitch?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default s

To jump in Bionic commando, it is best to have a trubo controller. It's been years, but I remember holding the A and B turbo buttons in a certain way so that when you grabbed something and quickly let go, it would give the appearance that you hopped, since it happens so fast. Kinda useful in some parts.

rbudrick wrote:
    I think I was the first to find the infinite lives glitch in Coleco tabletop Donkey Kong.

Ooh, what is this glitch?
    I think you hold UP and turn it on..the score is all screwed up though. It may be UP and JUMP.

Also, I believe I am the first person to ever make a map of Solstice...other than that crappy asccii text one out there. Contrary to popular belief it doesn't overlap at all (ala Metroid II and the last palace in Zelda II...bad cartographers, bad!!). I will one day post it on my website (that doesn't exist yet), but if anyone wants it, it's about a 3MB JPG, I believe.

So how do you get the bat to beat Chin with? And why would you want to when he dies when you go down the ladders? Lol.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    It is not documented as such, but my friend Kevin and I were the first ones to find the dot and the programmer's name in the Atari 2600 game Adventure.

Actually, I discovered the dot while exploring every little nook and cranny of the game. I wasn't looking for anything special (at the time, there was no such thing as an Easter Egg), I was just trying to see where the edges would lead me. After hours and hours and hours with the game, including taking tours with the bat while in the belly of a dragon and/or using the bridge to get behind the castle, etc, I was just curious to see what would happen if you tried to "escape" from the black castle maze. And there was that dot.

I couldn't figure out what to do with it, but I showed the thing to Kevin when we got together that weekend. Later that night, he called me up and walked me through the rest of the steps to get to Warren Robinett's name on that hidden screen.

We just figured EVERYONE knew about this, but it was months later when we read about it, in Atari Age Magazine, I think.

First or not, WE discovered it too!
    OMG, you should write Steven L. Kent about this
    -Jan

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't really know bout I think I'm the only(and also first) person here in europe who was able to beat the pal version of "Robocop 3"(SNES) without cheating. Who else would play this piece of crap till end?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm... well I haven't really mentioned it to anyone, so I dunno if other people know about it, but in Big Event Golf (arcade), I hit a really crappy shot and landed near a rock, and on the rock was a word, maybe someone's name. I took pics, and I'll probably ask if anyone knows who/what it is, but I'm kinda doubting it since it's an old crappy golf game.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I was the first one to find the glitch in Atari Karts (Jaguar) that lets you skip cups. I found it a long time ago when I was screwing around with the game. I'm fairly certain the only place I ever submitted it to was an old Jaguar cheat list maintained by "The Mage". From there, it seems the "cheat" has found it's way to pretty much every game cheat database on the internet.

That's pretty much my only claim to fame when it comes ot video games.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as I know, I was the first to discover the glitch in NES Ghosts'n Goblins where Arthur runs through walls and "previews" the last levels of the game. At least, I was the first to submit it to |tsr's NES Archive (back when it was still being maintained!).

Here's a site that copied |tsr's cheat list. My original submission is there with my long-dead Zoomnet email address:
    http://members.tripod.com/~nesnation/codesb.html
    o2william's Found & Lost

The Odyssey² Homepage! - Visit it for Sync-Sound Action!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say I was the first person to find the flying car trick in San Francisco Rush(N64)

And one of the first to get all the cheats in Goldeneye (I have a little letter from Nintendo Power about that one)
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My and my friend were the first to find several linkspark combos in robopon 2. I actually wrote a guide for that game, it's on gamefaqs. We actually found the combo for Boiler, a robopon that the Gamefaq's message boarders have denounced as Gameshark only! I really have to update that guide.
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I may have been the first... or at least one of the only people to find the hidden contest in SMS Space Harrier. Too bad all I got was a letter saying something to the effect of "Way to go. Now buy a Genesis."

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't lay claim to this, but when Mega Man X3 came out and I finished it and let my friend borrow it. he called me one day and said he accidentally discovered the gold armour in it. This was several months before it was in the classified info in Nintendo power.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My brother discovered 2 things before we knew about them anywhere else:

Mega Man X - Killing the huge Bat is Armored Armadillo's stage for a 1-Up.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Using Cure to defeat Dark King in one hit.

I wrote the first FAQs for a few games, mainly where to find all the Fairies on Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius, before the game was able to be played on emulators.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Reviving this topic

I wanted to bring this back from the dead, since I was about to post something similar.

I don't know if I was the first to ever uncover this stuff, but here are things I found out on my own without ever reading gaming magazines or the internet. So I am not taking credit for anything, just reporting what I accomplished without help.

With that said, how about expanding this oh-so-slightly to post stuff you found without the help of a "tricks" book, a gaming magazine, web site or friend.

MY HUMBLE LEGACY

-Found the sound test for "Super C" on NES, just by messing around, saw it in EGM or Gamepro about four months later but never thought to submit it when I found it.
    -Found the sound test for Ninja Gaiden II on NES the same way. Also read about this one a few months later in an issue of Gamepro. Should have sent it this in, since I think them (or maybe it was EGM) used to give a free game just for reporting something this trivial.
    -A bunch of stupid Super Mario Bros. glitches and secrets, which do not include the minus world.
    -I know I wasn't the first person to do this, but I was messing around with names on "The Legend of Zelda" and found the second quest by accident (by using "Zelda") when I hadn't even finished the first quest yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Reviving this topic

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango
    -I know I wasn't the first person to do this, but I was messing around with names on "The Legend of Zelda" and found the second quest by accident (by using "Zelda") when I hadn't even finished the first quest yet.
    I used to do that all the time because when I was a young, uneducated lass of 8 I thought Link was Zelda, since the title was Legend of Zelda, and therefore always named my files ZELDA because of that. Probably explains why I couldn't beat it back then, because I was only 8 and didn't have the gaming skills I have now and because it was on the second quest. LMAO.

And while we're on the topic of LoZ, when I was playing the game again for the first time in almost 10 years back when I replaced my long-gone NES, I found that in various places when you have the Power Bracelet, you can push rocks (the ones I still think to this day look like turtles) and uncover a stairway that leads to an old man saying "Take Any Road You Want" and three staircases that lead to other hidden stairways under rocks. This made it useful later in the game to get from one side of Hyrule to another. I doubt I'm the first one to have found this, but I found out that it wasn't submitted to www.gamewinners.com and quickly submitted it. It was subsequently posted and is there right now as we speak (under Cheats for Legend of Zelda for the NES). I also knew it before my boyfriend, which is a hard accomplishment because he finds ALL the cheats before me either by luck or researching the 'net. I also posted the somewhat interesting tip that when you have the Clock that freezes enemies (which also makes Link blink different colors) when you pause the screen with the Select button, you can freeze it just at the right time to make Link look blue and white, red and white (like Santa) and black, red and green (like a witch)

My boyfriend was the first person I knew (and the first to tell me) about the Ocarina of Time glitch where if you pull out the left (I think - I don't remember correctly) side of the cart, you can walk right through the Kokiri guy blocking the exit from Kokiri Village and enter Hyrule Field without ANY weapons.

Also I must be the first person to offer a lifetime of BJs just to borrow an Atari 2600 and games for a week. My boyfriend found a 2600 and about 20 games still in their boxes and 2 joysticks (also a catalog and warranty card) in the trash and to this day (it's been about 2 years) he REFUSES to hook it up or let me borrow it or even let me LOOK at it. He says he's "preserving it." I told them they're a dime a dozen and I could replace it in the very unlikely event that it broke. I'd buy my own but I have no room in my room for another console. But yeah, at one point I told him I'd give him oral everyday for the rest of my life if he let me borrow it for just a week. And can you believe he STILL DECLINED?!!!?!!!?!!! In his defense, he didn't believe me about the BJs, but still, how do you pass up that offer?!?! (And no, that offer does NOT stand for anyone on this forum that has a 2600 and is willing to let me borrow it for a week LMAO)

Y'know, I'm realizing now I shouldn't have admitted that. Oh, well, I don't care what people on the internet think of me. If I did, I wouldn't have a myspace LMAO
    ~Gaz~

"Video games develop hand-eye coordination and turn children into better human beings!" ~ Professor Membrane on Invader ZIM"

Animal Crossing Info:
    Town: Odnetnin
    Name: Gaz
    Code: 0730-7620-4738
    Fruits: Pears, Peaches
    Gates Open: Random

Pac-Man (Level 10) atomicthumbs's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now, I have no way of knowing if I was the FIRST on this one, but here I go anyway.

I got Tomb Raider II the day it came out. On the second day, I managed to trap the farting butler in the meat freezer.

My God. That is an excellent game.

"Gamera is really neat --- He is filled with turtle meat --- We all love you Ga-me-ra!"
    - MST3K

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was the first person to use the noob combo in halo 2 lol. Well I dont know for sure but I found it out the second day it came out.

I led the glitching community for Tony Hawk's Underground.

idk if I've really found anything else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I was the first (and only) person to release an FAQ for the NES Ys2 on GameFaqs, but that's not anything important.

On something more interesting, I was probably one of the few people to figure out how to pass the Green Tenticle in the NES version of Maniac Mansion, without having to deal with his shit.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you've ever played tag on diablo, me an one other guy started that. I had made the suggestion and he said cool lets start getting people to play. then later on I forgot about that night when a buddys freind came by talking about diablo and metioned playing tag. I asked him more about it and he said allot of people do it now. go figure!