Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone here ever the first to do something in a game?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I may have been the first to beat SMB with a quickshot pro XII controller (...and a game genie ) , but thats just me.

also did anyone hear of that insane japanese guy who beat the dreamcast version of Soul Caliber on very hard mode with a fishing controller? I can't beat SC period!!!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I first got Sonic on the Genny I was messing around and tried "up, down, left, right A+B+C" and found the level select. I sent it in to EGM to try and win the free controller they always gave away, but someone else got credit when they eventually published it, so I suppose someone beat me to it. It was pretty obvious, so I bet a LOT of people found that.

Hah, I saw the video of the guy beating SC with a fishing controller - that was insane. I also saw a video of some guy doing a perfect run in Monkey Ball - every level, no lives lost. That was even more impressive. Great game, but I suck at it, especially in hard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by BydoEmpire
    Hah, I saw the video of the guy beating SC with a fishing controller
    Link! I need to see that!

I'm pretty sure I have the high score title on SNES Addams Family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't possibly say I was the first to find this, but when I was a kid my brother sat on controller 2 while I was playing Mega Man 3. I died and thought the game had froze until I started pushing buttons and Mega Man came back out of the pit! I wrote in to Nintendo Power, but someone beat me to it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as I know I'm the first person to get outside the game boundaries on Jet Moto.
    Cryptopsy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy
    I may have been the first... or at least one of the only people to find the hidden contest in SMS Space Harrier. Too bad all I got was a letter saying something to the effect of "Way to go. Now buy a Genesis."
    Could you explain more about this? I've never heard of it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I am one of the first people outside of the gaming press to play the finished version of Age of Mythology.
    The website of the Australian mag had a hidden obscure competition page to win a copy of the game signed by producer Bruce Shelley.

I won and was sent the marketing gold a month before the game went on sale anyware in the world, it works with every patch too. For some reason I was also sent a year old beta aswell which I have no idea why.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Well, several accounts:

When i got my copy of Maniac mansion for the NES (Used copy) I played it, The Green Tentacle was the one in the basement with the doctor, or the purple tentacle was in the green tentacle's place, and there wasn't a green tentacle. Something like that. Too bad i overwrote that file, i have NO EVIDENCE of it ever happening.

Once, i was playing Burnout for the gamecube, and i was doing a run on the freeway, I managed to get the truck into the canyon, Accidentally, AND Over the guardrail! Now someone is going to say "Anyone can do that!" But really, it is HARD to do in the original burnout. You can do it easily in burnout 2 and any other burnout game, But it is hard to do in the original burnout. I saved the replay to the crash for that, And never deleted it.

Another time i was "Testing" the code for Super Star Wars on the SNES that Tips & Tricks found out. I figured that it causes the screens before the main screen to deactivate (Wich it does) And i think it keeps them doing so even after you take the cart out. You can get the screens back by using a Game Genie with it. I wrote in, But I didn't get the hat.

Also, I may have not been the first to do this, But once i was playing GTA San andreas (I was filming this part) And i bought a car from the docks (A $78,000 car) I drove it around, And I took a chainsaw and started thrashing the brand new car! After that, I set the car up in flames with a flamethrower.

No, My computer crashed so I don't have that video anymore.
    Last edited by Slate; 02-08-2007 at 07:32 PM.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Two things.

First, I found a glitch in Rush 'N Attack for the NES back in 1989, I believe. Hold A, B, and Select before powering up the NES. Keep holding them until the game tries to go into the demonstration phase once; the screen should fade to black and then return. Once you get bumped back to the title screen, let go of the buttons and wait a bit. You'll see the demonstration screen with music! Normally, the game doesn't have music in the demo. Other glitches include the character earning a life on his first kill, and actually playing for TWO LIVES.

I managed to get that code printed in Club Nintendo (Mexican Nintendo Power) in 1992 or so, and it wasn't available on the internet until I submitted it to GameFAQs a few years back. Of course, nobody gave a damn.

Secondly, I was the first and am still the only person in the entire world who has written an FAQ for Legend of Success Joe. And of course, nobody gave a damn either. ;P
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm the only one I know of who's "earned" the Commander patch in VCS Space Shuttle. Even in this internet age I've never seen anyone else claim to be able to do this.

I also wrote a guide that makes it really easy to accomplish and put the FAQ on gamefaqs. The text of my faq is also copied and pasted verbatim onto DP here somewhere but without any credit (not that I care, just found it odd).
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't think of any firsts for myself but I know of one from a friend of mine. My friends dad is a hardcore gamer and entered some gaming contest through a magazine or something. Not sure how he got in. Anyways, the contest was to be the first person ever to beat a certain game and he won. The prize was a PS2 on the release date. I'd say it was worth it being the first

Btw, I have no clue what the game was. I just remember it all happening

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Due to my hundreds and hundreds of hours of screwing with it, I'm pretty sure I've managed to get up on some platforms and other places in Mario 64 that no one else has never been on, and no one was ever intended to reach. i've spent entire days just running around in the completed game trying to access places where I probably was never meant to be.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I'm safe in saying I was the first person dumb enough
    to brut force SMB/Duck Hunt with a Game Genie.
    I use to have a book full of fucked up codes most where just
    graphics glitches like having swimming mario on land or never
    getting bigger (but still throwing fireballs ) Mario as a turtle .....
    but a vast majority did nothing.

Oh and I was the first person (that I know of) to find the
    alternate GameCube start sound. I never thought of telling
    anyone unless they happened to want to play.
    Like that marrige proposal on a 2600 HES multicart.
    it's cool, but simple enough that you couldn't be the first
    to find it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jehuty
    I think I am one of the first people outside of the gaming press to play the finished version of Age of Mythology.
    The website of the Australian mag had a hidden obscure competition page to win a copy of the game signed by producer Bruce Shelley.

I won and was sent the marketing gold a month before the game went on sale anyware in the world, it works with every patch too. For some reason I was also sent a year old beta aswell which I have no idea why.
    While I don't know the exact date I received it, I got a final release of Age of Mythology at least several weeks before it was released to stores. I was a beta tester and that was one of the perks. I also was one of the first to get Impossible creatures, Freelancer, and some stupid Hoyle card game due to being a beta tester.

Also I am going to go out on a limb here and say that at least 75% of the things people claimed to be the first to do are false. Just because you hadn't heard of anyone else doing it doesn't mean nobody else has. A lot of these claims are from the 90s and before when the Internet wasn't so popular and a lot of people just played games and maybe told their friends if they found or did something. Someone across the country would have no idea what they did.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WanganRunner
    Due to my hundreds and hundreds of hours of screwing with it, I'm pretty sure I've managed to get up on some platforms and other places in Mario 64 that no one else has never been on, and no one was ever intended to reach. i've spent entire days just running around in the completed game trying to access places where I probably was never meant to be.
    Can you get some video of this?
    I'd love to watch it.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sega-trader
    Also I am going to go out on a limb here and say that at least 75% of the things people claimed to be the first to do are false. Just because you hadn't heard of anyone else doing it doesn't mean nobody else has. A lot of these claims are from the 90s and before when the Internet wasn't so popular and a lot of people just played games and maybe told their friends if they found or did something. Someone across the country would have no idea what they did.
    Right. Given how many copies sell of even the most heinous games, you have to figure anything you find has already been located by somebody else. A Zelda game will move at least a couple million copies, so that is a lot of competition if you want to be the first to find a trick. Even a game that only sells 5,000-10,000......that is still a lot of people who might be looking for tricks or who may have found them before you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This (for Rescue Rangers on NES):

2. Invincibility!!! -This is a glitch my brother and I had discovered, very recently, after a late night of Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers. 1] You need to be playing a two player game. Play through to Zone I, the office. 2] In the room with the Zipper, do the following. Break open the Zipper crate with either Chip (it also works with Dale), though execute the "Give up screen" code above. The Chip will then die. 3] Move Dale through the rest of the stage while Chip is floating along in his balloon. 4] At the very end of the stage, before the door to the boss, Chip's balloon will break. He will now be invincible from the Zipper he collected previously. 5] Enter the door to the boss chamber and Chip will have unlimited invincibility throughout the entire boss fight!

I also figured a way to stand on the fountain in Rescue Rangers...I know too damn much about that game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Feels like we have some accomplished people on here.

I am the first to do different things in games compaired to friends but they can say the same against me, depending on he game and all. Nothing too special on my end that I can think of though.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For years I thought that my brother Dave and I were the ONLY people to discover the "magic kingdom" in the 2600 version of Mountain King. A couple years back, a guy showed up with a lot of info about it, so it turns out we weren't the only ones. Still, we MIGHT have been first.

Also, based on Dave's notes and trials, I was able to decipher a bit of the 2600 Survival Island password system. We may have been the first to crack that, though we haven't totally cracked the next load. I also only cracked about half of the Genesis Road Rash password system, but I'd like to think that there weren't too many others who got that far anyway...
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow... I forgot I even made this thread. I don't really have too many good ones. When I lived in Japan, there are quite a few games that I was very likely the first white person to touch... assuming I got a beta, or went to a location test:

Phantasy Star Online I remember trying out days, maybe a week before IGN gave impressions of their beta. Virtua Fighter Evolution would be a high profile location test I was there for on opening day.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list