Thread: Did you ever lose interest in gaming? When?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Did you ever lose interest in gaming? When?

I had had one system or another on the go from the 2600 up to the Genesis. Then while in college someone stole my Genesis After that, I wasn't into gaming for several years until the PSX got me hooked again. Has anyone else experienced a similar loss of interest? If so, when? Just curious.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sort of... When I was in college (1992-6) I was just a "casual gamer". However, my C128 stayed hooked up at my parents' house so I would always play when I visited them. After I graduated, I got my first internet connection and discovered emulation which brought me back.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1991. The last game I bought was Space Ace for the Amiga 500. Then I went to college and started spending more time watching Star Trek, X-Files, and Babylon 5 and lost interest in gaming.

It was not until I saw Final Fantasy 10 that I felt the desire to buy a new gaming system.
    TROY'S GAMING HISTORY
    1977- Atari 2600 (primitive)
    1985- Commodore=128 (8-bit)
    1989- Amiga 500 (16-bit)
    1991- zzzzzzzzzzz :scatter:
    2002- Playstation 2 (128-bit)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah during early school shortly after my last 5200 joystick died. They all got put into the closet and forgotten about while I went and attempted to polish my social and partying skills. Then during my Freshman year in college, it all came tumbling back with the introduction of the NES to our dorm rooms...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a similar experience. While at my 2nd year at college my SNES got stolen. And after that I only played games with friends if they had systems. I didn't get a console agian for a couple of years.. then I got a N64 and found my old NES and Amiga equipment..
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played my 2600 early on, my Atari 800xl in high school, NES in college, and Genesis in grad school ('94) but after that I didn't get a new console until the dreamcast (Xmas'99). I just didn't play or collect for five years, sports and women taking up most my time. I guess after I settled down for a couple of years my Atari bug came back and now I have dozens of consoles

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Default Re: Did you ever lose interest in gaming? When?

Quote Originally Posted by congobongo
    I had had one system or another on the go from the 2600 up to the Genesis. Then while in college someone stole my Genesis After that, I wasn't into gaming for several years until the PSX got me hooked again. Has anyone else experienced a similar loss of interest? If so, when? Just curious.
    This describes me almost to the letter. Actually, my genny never was stolen, it just gathered a lot of dust while I was busy at the arcade. Then I just stopped going to the arcade and stopped playing games all together. Two games got me interested again, Goldeneye on N64 and Gran Turismo (always been a huge race game fan) on PSX and I eventually bought the PSX. And it just went from there.

Only problem is, my tastes in gaming are still locked in about 1991-3, so I'm buying a lot more stuff from that time now than new stuff. Hell, I still haven't found a justification for owning a PS2 other than the fact that it plays DVDs (and no I don't need suggestions, thanks.)

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sort of lost interest after 1987. I had a brief peak in '89 when I picked up a Game Boy, and later in 1995 or so when I picked up a bunch of Odyssey 2 titles missing from my library, but then went back into gaming hibernation until 1997 or so, when the combination of MAME and Joystick Nation kicked me into high gear, collecting-wise. In 1999, I picked up a Playstation and a Game Boy Color, and a heap of games for each, 'cause I was making much better money back then. And amusingly enough, a lot of my PSX/GBC collection is retro titles - forget being stuck in 1991, I'm stuck in 1981.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I pretty much stopped playing video games during the time I was considering getting a PS2. Of course I have one now, but then I never wanted to get PS1 games and didn't feel like spending $300 for a PS2. I finally paid it, but I almost quit gaming then.

-=Mr. NEStalgia=-

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's never really been a time when I've lost complete interest in gaming. I always try to end my day with a good 1/2 hour of gaming, at the least. It entertains me and allows me to relax and have some personal "quiet time," no matter how loud and excitiing it may be.

There are, of course, periods that I find myself dissatisfied with the current generation of consoles. This usually happens during the first year or so of each new "Generation," when the games are supposedly better looking. They sure as hell usually aren't half as good as the releases being put out for the consoles going out the door.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Been gaming solid since I was a kid, so the last 26 years or so. However, after I got DOOM for my PC, I lost all interest in console gaming. Sold it all. That was 1994.

Now, I still love my PC, and I know some genre's for me will always "belong' on the PC. However, I am tired of PC games. First I learned all about emu. Then I started collecting consoles. Now, I realize the things I learned building PC's, are helping me fix consoles. I have re-vitalized my enthusiasm for gaming, by reverting to my roots. I'm BACK!

There is room for both in my life, computer and console. I even bought a flippin gamecube! I swore i wouldn't buy new, but Super Mario Sunshine sucked me in.

Apparently, a change is as good as a rest.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah after I had the SNES for a while I lost interest in gaming for a few years. It was the psx that got me interested again...and the game was Shipwreckers. :lol:

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

lol i lose interest like twice a year
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If that's ever happened, it would be right now. These days, I do the following things, listed in order of amount of time spent on them weekly.

1. Classes ( and Japanese 101 is the only interesting one...damn this community college)
    2. Work
    3. DDR
    4. Internet (compilation of Webcomic reading, posting here, and...err....other activities)
    5. "Hang out" with my friends (although we usually play DDR, or sit around being bored).

I haven't played a game other than DDR since July....I chalk it up to a lack of interesting games for the GC and also to my lack of any time with which to pursue my habit. I'd play games instead if DDR, but that at least involves excercise, and sometimes social interaction. In addition to that, I seem to have become hopelessly addicted to the habit.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I lost interest after all arcade games became .50 per play, after Dragon's Lair came out. I lost interest when EVERY game in the arcade was either a light gun game, a racing game or a fighting game (YAWN). I didn't pay much attention to the gaming scene during the whole NES/TG-16/SNES/Genny years. I woke up and caught the tail end of the 16 bit systems and the dying breaths of the 3DO and Jaguar. Good times, good times.... I still have Saturn and PSXgames from 1995 I have yet to play. I'm so far behind now I'll never catch up. I'm not even bothering to buy any of the newer systems. With emulation I have lifetimes worth of great games.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved my Atari 2600 and I went bonkers over the 5200 (must've been those huge cartridges) but when I got the 7800, I wound up eventually getting bored with it and quit gaming for 4 or 5 years. I'm not even sure why I chose to get into it again...I guess seeing the 16-bit systems in the stores...so I decided to splurge and got a Super Nintendo and that got me back into gaming and I've never stopped since.

"Just when I think I'm out...they suck me back in!"