Thread: Was anyone else "scared" by Silent Hill ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Default Was anyone else "scared" by Silent Hill ?

Man they did an awesome job with this one. Yeah the RE series is ok but its not the least bit scarry. When was the last time a phone ringing made you jump. Play it in the dark late at night for maximum effect. Its slow to start but once I got going I played the rest of the game on the edge of my seat. Silent Hill 2 looks like a chip off the old block maybee I'll pull it out for halloween.

Are there any other games that even come close to feeling like a horror movie?

Adam

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SILENT HILL

In my opinion,silent hill2 sucks! I played that game everyday for a week finishing it and there was no challenge whatsoever!the AI blows and the enemies are tottally clueless ,and slow.In total I think there are only five different enemies in the entire game,this made it suck even more!the story sucks too!including the ending which lasts a total of about 4 min. basically telling the story at the beginning again at the end.I was very dissapointed with konami for this game ,they could have done way better and blown Resident Evil away. oh yeah SILENT HILL 3 is coming next year(yaaaaaaaaaaaaay) :cry:

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah silent hill 1 was a bit of a scare especially the beginning when you go past the wheelchair moving i think that hints what you are going into.
    my blt drive on my computer just went awol and i got this big project due tomorrow for mr. kawasaki and if i don't get it in he's gonna ask me to commit harry carey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

SH definitely had it's scary moments. The atmosphere was great and just drew you in. The creatures would pop out at the right moments to get you to jump or at least twitch a little.

SH2 is utter drek. I think this game is based on shock value rather than scare value. After playing a good chunk of the game, there were no pop out surprises. The creatures weren't really scary, just disturbing. I guess for me it's easier to be scared of something you can kinda relate to in the effect that I know what a human nurse looks like (reference is SH1). I've seen them, talked to them, and trust them. Now I see this nurse-THING has pulled itself off the floor and is coming at me with something growing out of its NECK and is making disturbing noises that echo through the room. The creatures in SH2 look to be in plastic wrap.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

there was 1 part in RE for gamecube that made me jump, it was the part whena dog jumps through the glass window while you are walking down a hallway in a kitchen style area. i haven't played SH or SH2 yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I agree!

I think we played SH2, but it was jumpy enough for me! I haven't played SH1 so I don't have the comparison to scary monsters, but if that's even scarier, then I don't think I'll play it any time soon. I'm getting enough "natural" grey hair as it is.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default boo!

i had to write a review for sh1 over the course of one night, and i remember getting home and starting the game at 11:33 pm... around 3:40 am, i had to pee so bad, but i was too damn scared to get up and walk 25 or so feet to the bathroom. i finally had to jump up, shut on ALL the lights, AND check to see if the door was locked and windows latched before i hit the john, lol...i finished the game at around 8:30 that morning, and i was too wired up (i got a bad ending) until i got home from work and played again (getting a good ending).

favorite moments: the locker scene (both times), the phone ringing, "nowhere", and the area where the radio goes kaput- yeesh.

a lot of people didn't "get" sh2, and that's too bad. the game wasn't supposed to be scary as much as it was psychologically disturbing! some of the imagery is quite repellent, and the whole angela subplot is pretty sick, once you realize what's going on in her world. complaints about the AI are just plain missing the point- the "monsters" aren't supposed to be "smart"- they're physical manifestations of fear, and can be avoided or easily beaten (for the most part) once you realize that they're not the real danger.

the only games i can think of that had me almost as scared were clock tower(super famicom), and the sequel on the playstation. but those games go for more of a definite "b" movie feel, lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I rented/beat Silent Hill using a walkthrough (playing in the dark to add to the spookiness). I bought it used after that & go back to it every so often. It's my 2nd all-time favorite game! I bought SH2 on its release date & have played it thoroughly. Can't get enough of this series...strongly suggest playing it if you haven't already.

You're right again geelw...the game isn't about blowing away the creatures- it's a psychological mindf**k!
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i rented silent hill 2, thought it was scary, but SH1 sounds very scary.
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I couldn't STAND silent hill. The only survival horror I've really liked is RE on the gamecube, the rest just really didn't have the graphics or sound to make anything remotely scary.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

@geelw: you know, it didn't really "click" about SH2 until you mentioned the fact that the monsters are physical manfestations of fear. I wandered about the game seeing the monsters just stand there like idiots while I whap/shoot them. At the time, I was comparing it to SH1 and was just disappointed and never contemplated the story and plot. I may have to give it another try.