Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refused! or: What games do you purposefully neglect?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Refused! or: What games do you purposefully neglect?

Leading off the "would you sell your collection" post discussion (and especially Club Ninja's eloquently stated thoughts) comes the burning question of the hour:

What games do you ignore?

We might be talking series, entire genres, games from specific publishers, systems, or perhaps ALL games that aren't from specific series. You tell us -- that's why I'm asking! Hopefully you will also open a little window into your own personality -- by telling us what you don't care for or dislike, you'll hopefully shed some light onto what you really do have a passion for.

--------------------start personal ramblings--------------------
    To start the discussion off: Megaman. I know the quality's there, no doubt, but I don't have a desire to play any of the games, nor buy them. It doesn't bother me one bit that I haven't played any of the games -- that's one less series to clutter my mind and leave me grasping for the names of my coworkers :) Of course I haven't any aversion whatsoever to the series -- cutesy characters and rudimentary gameplay haven't ever turned me off.

Another: Mario. Now THIS, this is certainly a tragedy. I haven't bought a new Mario game since I played Super Mario 64 back in 1998-ish, a game I enjoyed a great deal (though I probably spent more time in Mario Kart 64 -- multiplayer racers combined with a favorite game series tend to do that). I'm thinking about getting not one or two, but ALL the classic Mario games. Someday, when I have the money. Hopefully I'll find the PC-88 version in due time, as well.

Yet another: Most every racer, whether futuristic or not, unless it is:
    a.) On the Sharp x68000 system (I buy most everything but "adventure" games for that sytem - I would buy an adventure game for it, but this stuff isn't exactly adventuring like Zork ;)
    b.) An arcade style/futuristic game on one of the late 80s/early 90s Japanese systems
    c.) One of the F-Zero or (quite strangely, since I buy few Acclaim games) an X-treme G game

I've messed around with two of the pro wrestling games on the N64...I like PC-Engine games but have no interest in the TurboGrafx 16...I barely acknowledge that CD-based games exist, but would buy a RAU-30 + card + CD-System for a SuperGrafx just so I can play Dracula X and Daimakaimura on the same system.

Finally: Most all GameCube games. I have a grand total of four GameCube discs, one of which is for the GameBoy Player. I don't play much of anything on it regularly outside of Phantasy Star Online (offline). GameCube games are too new for me, whoops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

personally, anything with the words "Final" followed by "Fantasy." I've ignored it after the lackluster offering that 8 "gave". I've ignored 9, quit playing 10, not even interested in 11 - ####

I really dont care how kickass a new game will be, i'm just sick of it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I kind of neglect the mega man series also, due to the difficulty and the boring gameplay. I used to neglect the metroid series, but after buying zero mission, I plan on buying them all!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I avoid any FMV games. That usually entails Sega CD, 3DO and CD-i games. In particular, I avoid anything on the CD-i. At least the Sega CD and 3DO had other decent games. Most of the CD-i games are FMV crap or games like Lords of the Rising Sun, Dragon' Lair, Myst, etc. that were already done on every other console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Megaman and Metroid. I've tried them all but none work for me. Give me a good Mario any day. Especially since I now have the first 5 Mario Bros type games on my GBA now. (SMB1, 2, 3, SMW, SMW2)

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RPG's..i cannot play them.

I understand the leveling up part and the buying better weapons its the turn-based combat that puts me to sleep. Nothing annoys and bores me more than moving a single step and then having 5 enemies move two different times before i get to move again.

I want to kick ass, not wait for everyone to decide where to stand.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

zelda >_> I just dont like zelda , I find the titles fairly average and just doesnt seem like best game ever

(hides from any flammers, gets alot on gfaqs )
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

In looking at my game collection, i neglect the RPG's the most. Not becuase i dont like them, but because there just isnt enough time in the day to play them, and do everything else. I also neglect sports titles, simply because the updates just done bring me back enough to want to play them for any length of time. Stick me with RBI baseball 3 for the NES and im good to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Zelda....I tried, I gave it my best and done a whole Ocarina game, and even before that, Zelda on GB (even in my mother tongue German) and SNES....AAAAARRRGGGGHHHH they are soooooo boring.

3D games especially FPS.... Doom was fun, Quake was fun(ish) all after that IT IS JUST THE SAME.....SAVE ME FROM FPS.

Every game with the title NBA, NHL, NFL, NBCCD, NSHIT and WHATEVER THESE STUPID ABREVIATIONS MEAN....(anything basically with Football, Baseball, Basketball, Ice Hockey)...GO AWAY OR AT LEAST STAY IN THE USA....

Any Soccer game....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sports games, save fishing & golf. I've never played any Madden game ever, & only demos of other football games. When I see an alphabetic list of games, I skip the 'N's.

I have NHL '96 for the Genny- I only got it bc it was there. I have a golf game for each system (8) I own.

RPGs that take more time than I have/care to invest. I just can't play a game that long anymore.

And lately, the "next big thing" everyone raves about. The newest "new" games I got are Manhunt & Champs of Norrath. Awhile back it was FPS, & military stealth games. Bleh. Only now am I getting into a few FPS, since they're cheap.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From a collecting standpoint.. I avoid SNES. I may be one of the very few people who would say this... but I hate the SNES.

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

well i avoid any ff game, ff7 nwas enough for me and too many rpgs are way better than it. i also avoid must nintendo games, very rarely you'll see me play one of my nintendo consoles and its usually for Ikaruga or for bomberman. i dont hate nintendo, just the games bore me for some reason.
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sports games, including racing. I'm just not interested. Exceptions are the Mario Kart series and Ice Hockey for the NES.

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I avoid Sports games and RPGs. Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 for the SNES is the only Baseball game I'll ever need, and all RPGs (including my favorites) are just really boring to me now. Hopefully I can get back into them at a later date...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I depise any and all real sports games that are based off of real sports. Normal Basketball, Football, Soccer etc I do not like but if it is a game like NBA Street that is more of fantasy basketball then I like it.
    Sorry Ryan, but your girlfriend is in another school.

Video games & manga (my manga scanlation group that scanlates video game manga) http://www.north101.net/Chara/vgm/index.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

i dont know if you consider racing games sports games, but other than racing games, i dont buy sports game at all. i am terrible at them.

i also tend to ignore RPG games, especially FF. i dont really like them, plus i generally dont have enough time to invest in one
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I am surprised so many other gamers hate sports games as well. I guess that explains why so many sports games end up at second hand stores and fleamarkets (Especially for Genesis and PSX).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I avoid these at all costs:
    FinalFantasy
    TombRaider
    others I avoid on a normal basis:
    Sporst (even though I bought a couple cheap ones for Xbox recently)
    Rastlin games
    and suprisingly Mario wich lost its appeal to me with sunshine not that it was a bad game its just not ummm well u know right?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. All games above $30

2. FP shooters, they just don't do it for me. I only played 70% of the masterpiece Goldeneye 007.

3. Traditional sports games (Football, baseball, basketball, even soccer), I dislike complicated, excessive button combination emphasis when it comes to gameplay.

4. Fighting games, see above

Everything else goes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Sports and Racing. There are several exceptions to my anti-sports policy. As long as the gameplay is simple and addicting enough to me, it's a good game. Examples include Blades of Steel, Tecmo Super Bowl, F-Zero, and Outrun. And for some reason, I really enjoy any and all Mario sports/racing games. However, any sports games licensed by any league of some sort is just NOT my cup of tea. Yeah, I'm not really a fan of Madden. I could never get used to it. I also find most racing games bland, and they are my absolute worst genre. You can pwn me all you want at racing games. I encourage it.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp