Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Sega ever make another system?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Will Sega ever make another system?

I know the answer is probably no. But I didn't think they would try again after the Saturn. Also why didn't the Dreamcast play Saturn games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No.

Sega made the Dreamcast because they have a passion for games. They're a company that makes games and nothing else. Not PC software, not stereos, not portable TVs. They don't run a record label or a movie studio, either. They do games. That's why they made another system even though their previous one didn't do that well commercially.

That's also why DC didn't play Saturn games. Sega knew that most of the people who would be buying a DC already had a Saturn, so why add the nearly meaningless backwards compatibility feature?
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes, it will bve called the "Sega Youwish!" and it will be backwards compatible with every Sega System ever in history to date, and also make you waffles with a special adapter......

er... in reality, I think they'll stick to games.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like to lie to myself and say that this is Segas plan:
    First: to regain a healthy financial status while developing and publishing games for the big 3 current generation
    2nd:Blind side Sony and Microsoft with a surprise assault with the release of a NEW all powerful system with full support from all major publishers and Developers
    3rd: the world is a perfect place again with Sega and Nintendo duking it out for first place!!!!
    I probably would have better luck building a time machine from old PS2 part and zapping back to 1991 though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They're a company that makes games and nothing else. Not PC software, not stereos, not portable TVs.
    Actually, they DO make PC Software (Sakura Taisen, Crazy Taxi 3, and PSO just to name a couple of PC games) and they do have a Toy line. Nothing compared to Sony, but still... not just games.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Pac-Man (Level 10) atomicthumbs's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know I'm not alone in this one, but.... Does anyone else here feel a bit uneasy that Sega dosen't have a competing system on the market?

It's sad to know that I will never have to make room for a future Sega console in my collection (once I get the "SGs") *sigh*.

"Gamera is really neat --- He is filled with turtle meat --- We all love you Ga-me-ra!"
    - MST3K

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah atomic it does feel kinda like the twilight zone this era of consoles without a SEGA system to play along with my Xbox and Gamecube

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

they *had* a dediocated PC game development team (SegaSoft o think), but they went belly up a while back. Many of the PC game they have now are just ports

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Richter
    they *had* a dediocated PC game development team (SegaSoft o think), but they went belly up a while back. Many of the PC game they have now are just ports
    I think ALL of their PC games were just that -- ports.
    They still have to be coded though.

In fact, they're doing beta tests for PSO Ep I & II later this month.
    gamengai
    My for sale list

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would love to see sega back in the console business, but unless something happenes where sony were to drop of the face of the earth...which id really love to see happen ....i dont see sega coming back...id like to see sega go strictly on x-box tho...i think the reason i love xbox so much is because it reminds me alot of sega...but maybe thats just me
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default sega

ok in my mind i would really hope they come out with a new system.
    also they did in a way. i balieve that had some of their designers help out with xbox, since microsoft helped out with the DC. Also Microsoft needed people that knew how to make consoles, so that had a couple people at sega come over to Mircrosoft.
    well anywho thats my conspiracy theory, and i will stick to it.
    " COME ON! COME ON!"

My collection- http://users.ign.com/collection/Crzycarl7

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If Sega released a new console I would readily ditch multi-console gaming.

Unfortunately, it'll never happen.
    Hell, the only reason I have all three current consoles is so I don't miss any Sega releases.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not anytime soon. They are making a good money making games. But who knows what will happens in some years from now? I hope that someday they will release a new one.
    ♪ well, you've gotta be crazy, baby to want a guy like me
    yeah, you've gotta be out of your mind
    Crazy! ♪

http://www.panzerdragoon.net/ - Nice place for Dragon Riders!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll keep my fingers crossed - but for now I'll continue to enjoy all the good games that are on the Dreamcast.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default r

Are you folks forgetting that Sega does still dabble in the game hardware business?

They recently developed an arcade system with Nintndo, right? I think Sega will at least stick to hardware that doesn't seem like competition to their now-allies/former competition. I find it difficult to believe that that they wouldn't try somethign maybe 10 years down the road.

Hell, they may do something like a 3-d holographic system someday (or something way innovative like that), but it wouldn't be a big deal to Nintendo or Sony or MS, because they weren't competing in that market....bah, just talking out my ass, but it's an idea. Sega never REALLY left the hardware business entirely.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: r

I know this is gonna get me flamed, but this topic is stupid, and everybody posting "no" is likewise an idiot.

No, not because Sega still makes arcade hardware (that's obviously not under the topic) and not because Sega has recently started to sell the Dreamcast again in Japan and supports the Pico.

The reason is simple: Sega is in it for the money, and if at some time in the (presumably distant) future it looks like they can get back into the home console/handheld market, they will.

Besides, who says traditional console-and-TV setups/handheld machines/Personal Computers are the only ways which folks will game in the future? No, that just lacks foresight. Sega is a corporation, and they'll do what makes money, now and in the future. There's a lot of money in the console business, and if they can make a go of it they will. Right now they don't have an argument to be in the business, but if the time is right you can bet they'll be there, with a unique and innovative offering (sorry, can't think of a beter term).

In other words: Cool down, folks, it ain't over 'till it's over (to quote Mr. Berra). Service Games is in it for the long haul -- been around since sometime in the 1960s (or earlier?) and they'll be around at least as long in the future if they keep making the right decisions (one of which was getting out of a market that was losing them money).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: r

The reason is simple: Sega is in it for the money,
    I'm frantically trying to name a company that is not in it for the money.

:P
    gamengai
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    They're a company that makes games and nothing else. Not PC software, not stereos, not portable TVs.
    Actually, they DO make PC Software (Sakura Taisen, Crazy Taxi 3, and PSO just to name a couple of PC games) and they do have a Toy line. Nothing compared to Sony, but still... not just games.
    By PC software, I was referring to applications, OSes, etc. The things you listead are, after all, still games.

As for the toy line, lots of other developers have merchandising too. Most people would see that as a given.

What I was trying to get at in my original post, is that Sega is a game company. They're not an electronics/record/movie/etc. company that also happens to make games.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unless to the way consoles are developed and marketed, I'd say "no you won't see another sega console....Sega has been slowly recouperating , and building money with software, but the console buisness is not good for money...PS2, and Xboxs are sold at a loss, to be made up on software....unless sega starts dominating the software market and raking in cash, they don't have the capital to design and release another console...which would most liktly have to be sold at a loss. Sega is lucky they were able to fight off sammy and Microsoft from buying the company. I'm guessing that sega will sit back and just release software.(where the money's at)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by udisi
    I'm guessing that sega will sit back and just release software.(where the money's at)
    If one could release software after going through a process of sitting back, I'd have a couple blockbusters out already

Really, though, there's nothing wrong with Sammy butting in. They're reminding Sega that arcades are where the money's at...and that's not a bad thing.

@ Querulous Gaijin:

I see you, there.