Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the hell is this? VGcollector.com?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Default What the hell is this? VGcollector.com?

http://www.vgcollector.com/

For those of you who didn't make it to PC5, a flyer with what is shown on the site was inserted into the giveaway bag I won, and passed out as a sponsor flyer. Can I ask, what the hell is this? Is this Manci-inspired? I don't like the looks of it, as it seems to be a Beckett type deal, as opposed to Manci, which, for the majority, is a retromag, which I do like.

Anyone know how to fit in game lists with checkboxes for 'Atari to XBox', while still having room for actual content? That's a lot of games to cram into 48 pages...

dave

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know. It sounds like a gimic to me. However, that NES contest sound sweet.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They said 48 color pages but maybe there are more black and white pages because you really can't cram all those games into 48 pages.
    Sorry Ryan, but your girlfriend is in another school.

Video games & manga (my manga scanlation group that scanlates video game manga) http://www.north101.net/Chara/vgm/index.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Quote Originally Posted by gamergary
    They said 48 color pages but maybe there are more black and white pages because you really can't cram all those games into 48 pages.

im willing to bet that the color pages will be articles and such and the price lists themselves will be small print black and white pages. could be an intersting magazine to pick up, at least the 1st issue
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The words "Price Guide Magazine" piss me off.....but who am I?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe that I said this verbatim before...

THIS WILL RUIN THE HOBBY!! I'm not going to get into it, but I actually referred to the Beckett's guide and similar guides as to examples.

Sure enough - some greedy bastards are going to put a similar "LAST WORD IN VIDEO GAME PRICES" publication out there. Morons buy them, and next thing you know, you can't go to a garage sale without some retard referencing the "guide".

I know I'm over emphasizing for effect here, but trust me, this will NOT have a positive effect on the hobby.

I can only refer to Star Wars toy collecting as the best example.

Oh well...
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by orrimarrko

THIS WILL RUIN THE HOBBY!! I'm not going to get into it, but I actually referred to the Beckett's guide and similar guides as to examples.

Sure enough - some greedy bastards are going to put a similar "LAST WORD IN VIDEO GAME PRICES" publication out there. Morons buy them, and next thing you know, you can't go to a garage sale without some retard referencing the "guide".

I know I'm over emphasizing for effect here, but trust me, this will NOT have a positive effect on the hobby.

Oh well...
    These were my thoughts, when it's a guide.....everybody buys in that ever had any interest. And it's nearly getting that way with video games anyways. I see NES games at garage sales all the time for like $8-10 a game. Games like, John Elway's QB or PA Football. The real pit of NES quality...really. I don't mind NES's sportsline but these are the pits(IMO) anyways....I have wanted them before, but not for that price. I inquire and they tell me something like "they're collectible" and I get the same response with Atari 2600 games.....ya, atari 2600 games WERE collectible. Things just get blown out of proportion and it ruins it for the die hards. I can't wait to see how much fun it is once every child in America gets his grubby paws on this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yecch. I can picture it now: "Final Fantasy - very rare - $100"
    Surely someone involved in the scene would have heard of this in advance if they had done any decent amount of research. Or is it all gonna based on eBay prices? I've got a real sinking feeling about this...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why is it going to ruin the hobby if occasionally you actually have to pay the amount a particular game is worth?

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I can see now fights breaking out over prices between the DP Guide and the VGcollector...
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

We'll handle this. If people want to pay high prices and sellers start offering games at such high prices, there's not much to do about that.

Besides, most of the games I buy seem to be around $30 each, but some are around $50 or even $100 (average).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by punkoffgirl
    Why is it going to ruin the hobby if occasionally you actually have to pay the amount a particular game is worth?
    Occasionally paying what a game is actually worth = fair enough.
    Being faced with a deluge of sellers asking ridiculous prices because they read it in a badly-researched quick cash-in price guide = where the problem lies.

Still, wait and see, I guess. Ya never know, it might so good that it makes the whole DP team redundant. ahem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by orrimarrko

Oh well...

So how is this any different from what DP here is doing with it's prive guide? This isn't a new thing that they're doing, it's just another price guide. Is the DP guide a bad thing because people may use it to base the prices they sell their video games for at their tag sales?

I think that selfishness plays a small part in all the negativity that I'm reading. The fear seems to be that videogame collecting will become more mainstream and that all of the rare and quality stuff will become harder and more costlier to come by for all existing collecters.

I personally think that all of the attention that our hobby has been getting recently has helped legitimize our hobby. This can only lead to more game game stores, magazines and shows; things which I'd personally love to see.

As far as the prices in these guides go, they can slap any value that they want on a game, it doesn't mean that a person's going to pay that amount for the game. Buyers dictite value and prices. Not sellers and not price guides.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    I think that selfishness plays a small part in all the negativity that I'm reading. The fear seems to be that videogame collecting will become more mainstream and that all of the rare and quality stuff will become harder and more costlier to come by for all existing collecters.

I personally think that all of the attention that our hobby has been getting recently has helped legitimize our hobby. This can only lead to more game game stores, magazines and shows; things which I'd personally love to see.
    Nope, that's not where I'm coming from, though I can see where you'd get that idea. At the risk of coming across as an elitist snob, I'm deathly afraid when any hobby is "discovered" by the mainstream. Case-in-point: Beanie Babies were just these cute little toys that a handful of collectors bought and enjoyed. Then Mr. and Mrs. Flea Market discovered the "collectibility" of them and - voila - chaos. Could'nt find any of the little bastards anywhere, as they had all been bought up cheap and were being resold at an insane price. Price guides exploded across the landscape. People didn't collect 'em to enjoy them - they HORDED them simply 'cause "they worth moneys!"

Granted, it took several years, but the market finally fell out and you can get the rarest of Beanie Babies for just a few pennies nowadays. But it was Hellish for the "real" collectors for a while.

And you can substitute Magic cards, Pokemon cards, baseball cards, comic books, Tickle Me Elmo, Cabbage Patch Kids, or any number of "pop culture collectibles" in this. I simply see a period of mainstream opportunists gouging the collectors on the horizon. When anything goes mainstream, it gets diluted. I like it when retrogaming is low key and under the radar. Keeps the prices sane.

For me personally, I am *not* in "The more, the merrier" camp. But it could just be the paranoia talkin'.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the difference between the collectors guide and the DP guide would be that the DP guide contains "sane" prices. This one probably won't...they'll do a quick check of ebay and go with 80-90% of the highest one sold.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thing you have to realize is that on older systems the amount of games out there is shrinking every day due to natural disaster, tossing it out, it stops working or whatever; but the amount of collectors is growing.

The DP Guide is directed toward collectors. This new guide seems directed toward the rest of the people.

That is why having more than one guide is bad. Meh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Leonard Herman
    The Game Scholar
    Publisher of Historical Videogame Books
    http://www.rolentapress.com
    Phoenix 4 coming in 2014

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ye Gods.

Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, it's not due out until August 10th.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rolenta
    http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?0375720383

All he's written before that is strategy guides. I'd love to hear what makes him qualified to give a round set of prices on arcade games, handhelds AND classic games. I don't know ANYONE who's singularly qualified to do all those!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."