Thread: Amiga 1000

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Amiga 1000

Ok, longtime Atari 8bit and ST user here but yesterday I got a nice Amiga 1000 complete with accessories and an Amiga 1080 monitor dropped in my lap. Always admired them from afar but now I'll have to see what I can do with this original Amiga.

I know for a lot of the software I would be better off with a 500 or 2000 but just a rough guess how much of the games available run on the original 1000 with 512k? My thought was that I could focus on games published when it first came out in 1985-1987 just to be safe.

On the Atari ST side most all games published between 1985 and 1992 were compatible with the original 520 or 1040 models, that way you would have the largest customer base, don't know if that's true on the Amiga side and would appreciate any opinions while I'm rooting around on the net for the info

ServBot (Level 11) SpasticFuctard's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

You might be able to get the workbench upgrade and the larger ram space still, I know a lot of folks still have them laying around. I've got an Ami500 with the bodega bay expansion box at ma' house yet, and a pile of software that could be used to end the lives of a million Bosnian nuns if thrown with sufficient force.

SF

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

You should be able to get a pretty good amount of games working on an A1000. Try to find some ADF images off the net, transfer them to disk (kind of an involved process, depending on what equipment/software you have), and give them a try. Some of the later games required the AGA chipset from the 1200 though.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I've been reading about the process of getting adf images onto an Amiga disk. I probably won't be getting a harddrive or more memory anytime soon so I don't know if I can swing it.

I'm surprised with the popularity of the Amiga no one has figured out a program that formats Amiga floppies on the PC and then can unpack an .adf image onto them for use in the real thing. There's programs like that for the Atari 8bits and ST that make the process pretty easy.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I'm not sure the PC's floppy drive controller is capable of reading Amiga formatted disks (sort of like how you can't read C-64 disks through a PC's 5.25" drive)... you should be able to do it with a Catweasel though.

The cheapest way (that doesn't involve any cables or networking) I think is to split the adf into two pieces, copy them onto two disks, and then use a program on the Amiga to read PC disks and recombine them onto an Amiga disk. Seems like a lot of work though.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro
    I'm not sure the PC's floppy drive controller is capable of reading Amiga formatted disks (sort of like how you can't read C-64 disks through a PC's 5.25" drive)... you should be able to do it with a Catweasel though.

The cheapest way (that doesn't involve any cables or networking) I think is to split the adf into two pieces, copy them onto two disks, and then use a program on the Amiga to read PC disks and recombine them onto an Amiga disk. Seems like a lot of work though.

--Zero

I read about that cheap way to transfer files but I need to figure out how to get the cutter and reassembler program as well as the PC disk reader on the Amiga in the first place I guess I'll have to politely request it on an Amiga newsgroup or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There's no way to write an Amiga floppy with a PC (well, maybe with a Catweasel), but there is a program for the PC that will let you read Amiga floppy disks. However, you need to have two PC floppy drives in order to do it; the program uses an obscure, clever hardware trick to fool the PC into reading the entire disk at once.

Anyway, I thought hooking up the PC and Amiga with a null modem cable was the way to do things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Happy ending to my A1000 saga, still haven't figured out how to transfer files from my PC but I've got some cool original games to try out.

I have Kickstart 1.3 and Workbench 1.2 that came with the system. I bought a lot of about 10 games on eBay with a few games I wanted to have. Most of them were made between 86 and 88 and I was very happy to see that they all required only 512k of Ram to run which is all I got

Some of the games I got are Zany Golf, Mean 18, Test Drive, and Smash TV. Games I like on other platforms, play and look great on the Amiga of course.