Thread: SONY - The worst thing to ever happen to gaming?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SONY - The worst thing to ever happen to gaming?

When the Sony arrived on the videogaming scene back in late 1994 (Japan), I greeted them with open arms and a big smile. Back in those days, I always had a belief that the more systems, the merrier. I loved for new systems to be released, I was an early adopter type, and I always needed a reason to look forward to a new gaming system. So the arrival of Sony into the game was a great thing, as far as I was concerned.

The PS1 came out in the U.S. on 09/09/95, and I was there in line at Software ETC to pick my preserved unit, with cash in hand. The first playstation was a great system. Sony was somewhat of an underdog at the time, people didn't really know what to expect from a company that really didn't have any kind of track record with games. Sure, they had all the dough necessary to make it happen, but none of the experience. So initially, people were somewhat skeptical, and didn't know if the Playstation would pan out and be a successfull entry into the race.

Of course as the years went by, it became obvious to everyone, including Nintendo and Sega, that not only would the Playstation be a successful entry into the game, it would be a total market dominator.

Sony dominated gaming like no other company since Nintendo did back in the days of the NES. If you remember, back in the days of the NES, Nintendo took full advantage of their monopoly like dominance by forcing retailers to take product that they really didn't want, or to be cut off completely.

Well Sony took this practice to a whole nuther level. They went as far as making demands on exactly where their product would be positioned on the sales floor, for maximum exposure. Even forcing retailers to prematurely stop selling games for other systems, because of Sony's overwhelming shelf space demands and pressure.

Still, Sony was great for gaming, it made Sega come back much harder with the Dreamcast, and gave Nintendo all it could handle in terms of it's battle with the N64. There were tons of great games on the Playstation and everything was great.

Or was it?

The downside of one company having total dominance over an industry is the fallout that happens for the next go round. Sega had a superior product in the Sega Dreamcast. An exceptionally well designed and well planned product. The Dreamcast was really way before it's time, in terms of internet gaming, the 3D power that it had, the progressive scan 480P games, all of that. The Dreamcast was a powerhouse. Normally, the Dreamcast would have been a runaway smash at retail. Except for the fact that the best developers in the industry were literally scarred to support it. Scarred to support the DC because of a backlash that they feared Sony would show upon them when it came time for the PS2. So companies like Electronic Arts and Square decided to stick firmly in the Sony camp. Content to wait for Sony's machine and to stay in the good graces of big daddy.

One could argue that if it wasn't for the total dominance of the PS1, that the Dreamcast could have been the dominating system in the next round. But with so many quality developers scarred to anger Sony, they simply watched on the sidelines, and casual gamers decided to wait as well. Thus the Dreamcast was likely sent to a way too premature death all because of the total dominance of the PS1.

Then we have the XBOX and GameCube. The PS2 comes out, and even though it is vastly underpowered, and badly designed, all of the best developers stick to the PS2 like glue. Both the XBOX and GameCube are far superior systems, but again, the developers are going to stick with the breadwinner and not bite the hand that feeds. Sure they will port their games over to the XBOX and Cube, but they will be uninspired ports that take no advantage of the vastly superior visuals and sounds. No one is more guilty of this than Electronic Arts. In fact, EA is so far up Sony's arse, that they give Sony exclusivity to all online E.A. Sports games. A huge trump card for Sony.

Why would they do such a thing? Simple. Sony is the hand that feeds, and they don't want to bite the hand that feeds. They know that soon there will be a Playstation 3, and they want to be right there with Sony as the first to get their hands on the development kits to gain a competitive edge over all the other developers. Because in times like these companies need hit games to survive. Million selling games. It's the ocassional hit games that keep companies afloat nowadays. Even though the XBOX is a much more powerfull system, and setup perfectly to deliver the online gaming experience, EA doesn't want to mess around with a good thing. Sure they will port their games over, but they won't develop groundbreaking original technology on Sony's competing systems.

And EA is by no means the only company that is doing this. It's just a prime example of what is going on with this "TOTAL DOMINANCE BY SONY FACTOR".

The results of the rampant success of the Playstation has basically meant the death to 3 systems that are actually superior in almost every way to the Sony machine. It killed the Dreamcast, the Cube is on lifesupport, and the XBOX is in surgery.

The truly unfortunate thing is that I really don't see anything changing any time soon. This Sony thing, this Playstation thing has just snoballed. Casual gamers don't really know or even care about the XBOX and Cube. They basically totally dissregard these superior systems. Why? Because of mindshare. Sony has the mindshare of these drones that will continue to always buy the Sony system. Always jump on the Sony bandwagon. Regardless of how poorly designed the systems might be.

And don't get it twisted. I'm not saying that Sony should feel bad about this, or that they are the Devil incarnate. Sony should be very happy about what they've achieved. They've done everything perfect. They should be thrilled by what they've accomplished, in terms of totally brainwashing the general gaming puplic.

I'm not hating Sony. I'm not mad at Sony. I'm just mad that this unfortunately wave of events had to occur this particular way. Do I hope that one day something horrible will go wrong for Sony and they will be knocked off the pedastal and actually fall to No. 2 or even Gasp! No. 3 in Market Share? Hell yes I do. Not because I hate Sony and feel that they are the Evil Empire. But because I think it would be good for all of gaming in general.

What do you think, my brainwashed friends?

ServBot (Level 11) SpasticFuctard's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I, for one, think you're a jackalope.

The statement: XBox and Gamecube are clearly superior systems is one based on a purely subjective option. And a purient one at that.

The XBox doesn't support DvD video out of the box and it's controllers are mahunga mammoth beasties. I will grant that it's hard drive, graphics capacity and networking are superior, but they were so for a long time at a higher price point with an anemic supply of games.

The Game cube's lack of media size(Mini disc's anyone?) and lack of Dvd compatibility also stunt that system, but the price point is nearly invisible at this point, and so they've become the cut rate system.

You're deluded friend. Being a market dominator doesn't squelch creativity, it makes it easier for software engineers to tailor to a specific platform rather than spending ages genericising titles for cross platform delivery. I have said this before, and i'll say it again, spun slightly differently:

Monoploy creates Standards.

SF - Friggin hippies.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpasticFuctard
    I, for one, think you're a jackalope.

The statement: XBox and Gamecube are clearly superior systems is one based on a purely subjective option. And a purient one at that.

The XBox doesn't support DvD video out of the box and it's controllers are mahunga mammoth beasties. I will grant that it's hard drive, graphics capacity and networking are superior, but they were so for a long time at a higher price point with an anemic supply of games.

The Game cube's lack of media size(Mini disc's anyone?) and lack of Dvd compatibility also stunt that system, but the price point is nearly invisible at this point, and so they've become the cut rate system.

You're deluded friend. Being a market dominator doesn't squelch creativity, it makes it easier for software engineers to tailor to a specific platform rather than spending ages genericising titles for cross platform delivery. I have said this before, and i'll say it again, spun slightly differently:

Monoploy creates Standards.

SF - Friggin hippies.

I don't buy game systems to play DVD movies. I have a DVD player that works very good for that, thank you.

As for the XBOX's and GameCubes lackluster selection of games, uhh......doesn't that make my point for me!!

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

No offense Anhtony, but isn't this like the 3rd topic like this in the past few weeks. I see no no need for another one......

....epecially since we all know the X-Box is the best and Sony sucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I for one have never studied business, publishing, or marketing and do not think that I am qualified to make an informed analysis of the present market for video games. How about you?

ServBot (Level 11) SpasticFuctard's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I don't buy game systems to play DVD movies. I have a DVD player that works very good for that, thank you.
    How nice for you. Not everyone does.

As for the XBOX's and GameCubes lackluster selection of games, uhh......doesn't that make my point for me!!
    No, it makes my point: Your 'Superior system' comment was based on purely subjective standards, and ones that have very little to do with why Joe Q. Public buys games. If they were superior systems in every demonstrable way, they'd be winning the war. As it is, they're barely competing.

SF

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Yeah, I'm personally getting tired of hearing the "OMG Sony RUINED games/ Microsoft ruined games/games today suck/ Mainstream gaming sucks" topics.

Gaming is good now, Sony made people want to play games, gamers are getting what they want. There are good games, there are bad games. Just like it's always been, its just more popular now.

How about this....think about where we would be now WITHOUT Sony. How about that topic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh, this again. The defense rests on it's previous objections.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have only been here for a short time, and I'm already tired of seeing these kind of topics...

Maybe Sony is bad for the gaming industry(sp?), But guess what? I don't really care. I enjoy all the current-gen systems and think that the PS1/2 are great (as well as the GCN/Xbox/DC).

My point? Just buy the systems you want and enjoy them, don't waste a lot of time worrying about the gaming industry.

One more thing, I was surprised that some of the people in this thread are bashing this system or that system... This is a "serious" gamer's forum isn't it? So whats with all the pointless system bashing?

Note: Sorry if I offended anyone with this post, just stating my honest opinions.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm...a pair of systems from Sony add millions upon millions of new gamers to the fold, release over 2000 games in the US market, open up new possibilities for adult-targeted content, and shift videogames from "nerdy kid hobby" to "new hotness". Sounds like a damn travesty to me too.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmmmm, I too don't really care.

I look at my PS2, Xbox, Gamecube AND Dreamcast all hooked to my nice SONY 27" tv, then I look at the piles of great games I have for each and I'm happy.

call me brainwashed but I don't have a problem with Sony at all.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'll make my comment quick b/c i have to go start a new thread bashing Sony.. because i think the other 10 have started to die down..

i believe ur the one brainwashed... IMO it sounds like ur a sega fanboy, mad that the dreamcast died..

almost everything u say is based on ur opinion and isnt backed up with any facts..

basically ur saying sony made the PSX... it was a great console... companies wanted to make games for it... Dreamcast died.. and its sony's fault..........i'm guessing u wished it would've worked out like... sony released a terrible system, it died.. dreamcast lived.. and sega became #1 YAY GO SEGA...

not even sure what the point of this thread is, u apparently really liked dreamcast and ur mad that it died [i wish it wouldnt have died either] and ur lookin for some one to blaim and it seems that u've found sony... just get over it.. like ppl have said, if u dont like sony, dont buy a PS2.. dont play their games.. play what you like and just have fun gaming.

Also i'm just stating my opinion.. dont get upset or offended by anything i've said.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't say that Sony is the worst thing that's happened to gaming, but they're the worst thing to happen to this gamer. I don't even consider today's games to be in the same category as the ones released for older systems. They're more like simulations than video games as I define them.

The fact that Sony fights so hard to prevent anything but these simulations from being released on the Playstation 2, and the fact that this console has an iron grip on the video game industry, makes me feel unwelcome and unwanted. I just don't feel like there's any room for me in the gaming industry anymore. That in a nutshell is why I hate Sony so much.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

Can we PLEASE limit the bitching to a single thread please? Thanks.

>>CLANK<<

Kristine
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."