Thread: What in the..... (strange cart problem)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What in the..... (strange cart problem)

Not sure if this should be in the Restoration Forum, but what happened today is very strange. I'll go into as much detail as possible so perhaps the reasons for this could be figured out. I don't know what is up.

Saturday I got my GAME THEORY ADMIRAL. So obviously, I am testing various carts. To my surprise, I played ZELDA II on this thing and saved a game. I turned it off, and turned it back on, and the save file was there. I remember this battery being dead before, and it not saving after turning the game off on both the normal and top loader. Played of course, but could save. Cool stuff. So today, I decide to bring it to work and show it to someone (the GTA), bringing this cart along. I played it in the parking lot at work before my shift, it worked fine (the game/system/etc). Because it is really cold around here, I figured the game has a battery, so I brought the game pak with me inside work and threw it (game pak) in my jacket pocket along with the three AA batteries which were in the GTA (I didn't want these to die either because of the cold). I left the GTA in the car. I get home from work, put the batteries back in the GTA, plug in the cart, and the game goes wacky on me. There are two save files (2 and 3) that weren't there before (they were supposed to be blank) and the names consisted of weird crap (squares/triangles/x's, stuff like that). I turn the game off, figuring these are graphical glitches because the GTA is cold, and go on the computer for a couple hours.

I go back just a little while to try it out again. I have the same glitches, so I pull the cart out and try readjusting it. Same thing. So I think, "F*CK! It's (the GTA) broken!".

So I go to our basement and plug the game into my NES. I turn it on, try this again...same exact graphical problemsI started my save file (1) and noticed my magic spell bar was full, yet I was supposed to have 5. The number for the life bar was some weird thing instead of the number. I press 'start' to see my inventory, and I have all the items, Magic Key, Raft, everything. For the crystals and the other thing, I have letters C and F (don't remember what they are supposed to be), not numbers. I think they are supposed to be numbers. Along with this, there is a ton of crap on the screen, much like if you inserted the cart wrong. Things would get drawn on the screen that aren't there or shouldn't be there. Strange. I go into a battle mode thing by getting hit by a blob in a field, and I start fighting blobs. No problem. Note I have that weird full magic bar that shouldn't be there, but it is filled 5 bars like it should. A blob drops a blue magic jug. I grab it, GAME FREEZES. . I start play...grab a magic jar, GAME GOES WHITE. Try it again, I press start, a bunch of wacky crap happens. I notice that I have the first two spells, SHIELD..24 and JUMP...40, and way down at the bottom, I have a third spell, SPELL...112. I looked again and noticed I still have all the items like the raft that I should'nt have. So I try going into a battle. One hit by a baddie, DEAD (that red screen with the flickering "falling" Link). Try another life, ONE HIT = DEAD. Try my third life, ONE HIT = DEAD. Turn it off, tried it again, ONE HIT = DEAD. I turn it off, turn it on again, delete files 2 and 3, name file 2 some letters, and play. It works fine. I turn it off, start up file 1, I get all these weird problems again. Turn it off, start file 2, plays fine.

WHAT IN THE F*KKING F*KK?!?

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hmmm, I know that nes carts can sometime get weird ass glitches in save files. I had a copy of Final Fantasy that I was playing, using a NES prone to blinking after about 30 min. time or so. When I restarted my save file, my white mage had no weapon, and his damage stat was at 513 (at level 4). WM only hit about 1/5 times, but she'd hit for a good 800 damage every time she hit.

I liked that glitch, personally

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The battery in the cart probably is screwed, but not completely dead, so it's messing up the data that should be stored.

Also, and I'm not trying to be a smartass but am seriously asking this... since when does the cold hurt batteries? I've always heard of people storing batteries in the freezer to supposedly stop them from going bad when not in use. I always thought that was horseshit, and if it did anything it would maybe slow the process by .01% or something, but I have never heard of the cold hurting batteries at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Perhaps I should have posted this in the Restoration Forum. Thanks for the replies, so it is a battery problem or a glitch caused by bad operation of the system (ala perhaps me not having it connected perfect with the GTA, or in the mentioned case, a blinky NES)...

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I remember that with the battery-backup games, Nintendo recommended that you hold the reset button while you turn the power off, otherwise the power button could produce some "dirty" power signals that could corrupt or erase your save files... could this have happened with the GTA? I would have though that it would have a more reliable power switch, but who knows?

--Zero