Thread: Genesis Box Style Question

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Genesis Box Style Question

Recently while shopping for games I came across 2 copies of Ms. Pac Man for the genesis. The first one was the normal genesis clamshell which was kind of faded and dirty. The second was a cardboard box but the artwork was bright and clear, also the box was in good shape. I took the cardboard box feeling it was cleaner and more complete (with Manual), but it made me wonder in these circumstances is there a box style which would be more appealing to collectors? Besides the fact that the clamshell is sturdy is there any other pros and cons?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Genesis Box Style Question

Boxes are definately not more appealing. They made tons of the onse with the cardboard boxed after genesis was on its end. Most sold for 10 dolalrs for sealed games and many stores. A few games came with the cardboard ones instead of the clamshell ones though. the are definatley not rare. sorry.
    Midwest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats the sad truth about the later games. I'm still kind of miffed that my Phantasy Star 4 has the crummy cardboard box. I left the shrinkwrap on it opening it only on the ends but even being very carefull with it is just shows a lot more waer than games I've had for a lot longer

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't feel that the cardboard box made them rare, in fact i was more concerned that the cardboard decreased the value. I think as far as putting them in my collection i would rather the clamshell because it matches the other genesis games but in this case the cardboard box looked a lot nicer and near mint compared to the dirty clamshell with faded artwork.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't feel that the cardboard box made them rare, in fact i was more concerned that the cardboard decreased the value. I think as far as putting them in my collection i would rather the clamshell because it matches the other genesis games but in this case the cardboard box looked a lot nicer and near mint compared to the dirty clamshell with faded artwork.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

As far as box style being more appealing, clamshell. As it takes a beating, and is interchangable if it takes too much of a beating. Sure, you can do the same with the cardboard box, but the clamshell is just more durable. I've found that some titles got clamshells if they were released close to when Sega switched over. (Lost World comes to mind). So to break it down:

Clamshell:
    Pro: Sturdy, interchangable
    Con: Not all replacement donors will work for every game

Cardboard box:
    Pro: Interchangable
    Con: Fairly weak

You can't beat hard plastic. From a collector standpoint, no one really cares at this point rarewise, but if given a choice, most will pick the clamshell.

dave